Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crack In Windscreen

Our local council has decided to resurface some of the roads in our area and seem to be doing this by just throwing stones on the road (I guess they put something down first though!) and lettign the cars compact it in!

The upshot of that is that I now have a crack in my windscreen due to a flying stone!!

So, I know its just a simple process of calling up insurance/autoglass etc, but, is there anything I should look out for when having screen replaced?

Will the replacement screen have the sun blocking strip thingy near the rear view mirror for example? I am presuming that it will definately have the heated strip on the bottom.

Any tales of woe? Does anyone know if I get a choice between autoglass and RAC windsreen - does it make any difference at all??

Sorry to hear about this mate a few roads near my where like this recently and it's a pain in the *****, you get stone chips on the bodywork as well.

I think the council should pay :whistling:

Not sure how replacing windscreen with insurance works i imagine you have to send them the quote so you can use RAC or AA.

iv always had excellent service from autoglass -would rate them highly for customer care.

...infact recently when they replaced my passenger window - the technician brought to my attention a small scratch in the glass and insisted on ordering a replacement which he came back and changed over for the scratched one within two days!

So you'd rather have you road fall apart completely & then bend a rim or 2 on potholes?

And I wouldn't bother about the stealing thing. Most places I know of take photos now to prove that things like signs, etc were put in place.

So all they have to do is prove that the signs were in place when they left the site & you'd still be screwed, no court would expect someone to be sitting there 24/7 to watch them.

My suggestion, just slow down (its one week of inconvenience for 10 years of a better road), but I'd ring up & complain about the amount of loose stones. There is usually some left over, but if the site swept about a day later, that gets rid of 99% of them.

And before you ask, yes, I am a council engineer that reseals roads.

no, I can't offer you any more advice on it because I live 20 000km away

Make sure when they fit it there is a constant gap at the top. If they forget to fit wedges, it can drop (mine did).

Also, dont go moving your car (or shutting/opening the doors) for around 6 hours.

So, I know its just a simple process of calling up insurance/autoglass etc, but, is there anything I should look out for when having screen replaced?

Will the replacement screen have the sun blocking strip thingy near the rear view mirror for example? I am presuming that it will definately have the heated strip on the bottom.

Any tales of woe? Does anyone know if I get a choice between autoglass and RAC windsreen - does it make any difference at all??

Don't want to go into too much boring detail here, but as always you get good people working for bad Companies and vice versa. A good Company will have proper training and competancy assessment to ensure all their fitters are capable of performing the work to an expected standard.

Why do I say this? Well the prat from Autoglass that fitted a new screen to my IS200 Sport arrived with the wrong screen and had to go back for the tinted and heated OEM one. He then proceeded to cut out the original screen, and in the process succeeded in cutting through the cloth trim on the front pillars. This wasn't obvious until a day or so later when the tension in the material exposed the cuts down the length of the pillars :angry:

So whoever you get to fit your new screen you need to take time to inspect the work (in very good light) to check for centralisation of the screen, that the heating strip is working, and for any possible damage to the paint around the outside or the cloth trim on the inside....before you sign for acceptance of the work.

So you'd rather have you road fall apart completely & then bend a rim or 2 on potholes?

And I wouldn't bother about the stealing thing. Most places I know of take photos now to prove that things like signs, etc were put in place.

So all they have to do is prove that the signs were in place when they left the site & you'd still be screwed, no court would expect someone to be sitting there 24/7 to watch them.

My suggestion, just slow down (its one week of inconvenience for 10 years of a better road), but I'd ring up & complain about the amount of loose stones. There is usually some left over, but if the site swept about a day later, that gets rid of 99% of them.

And before you ask, yes, I am a council engineer that reseals roads.

no, I can't offer you any more advice on it because I live 20 000km away

I did go slow but cars driving past flick stones up and fly at your bodywork and windscreen. So no matter how careful you are your always going to get stones flicking up from other cars.

I think you should have one of those screens that unfold to go along the road :whistling:

Had my windscreen replaced just the other week cos it had a stone chip (filled in, but was a rubbish job (not by autoglass)). Couldn't live with it for another yr, so i changed it with new screen by autoglass. Paid my excess (£70). Would have been £788.90+labour if not paid through insurance LOL. When they replace your screen it will be the same glass, identical (obviously without the cracks lol), you have the black sun strips and heated strip etc. They will then stick 2 orange tape holding your glass to the car body to hold it while it drys. Like already mentioned, they advice you not to drive for a few hours at least. oh and you can smell a faint smell of glue to try to get high on lol. The only thing that is different i can see from the original glass is that the glass manufacturer is printed at the bottom left side of screen and thats about it.

cheers guys. Seems like I should be ok.

I wasn't going fast at all, but the council lorry infront was - therefore I think they have some liability. Will try and see anyway.

Called up Autoglass and they are sorting it. Window should be heated/tinted and I am presuming will have the sun strip by the rear view mirror.

Does anyone know if the glass is treated in anyway on the IS? I know some screens are on some manufacturers cars?

Also, is the tint green or blue - cannot remember!! :-)

Our local council has decided to resurface some of the roads in our area and seem to be doing this by just throwing stones on the road (I guess they put something down first though!) and lettign the cars compact it in!

The upshot of that is that I now have a crack in my windscreen due to a flying stone!!

Sorry to hear mate. Seems this government has now adopted the throwing bitchiman on the road and skattering gravel over it......v.***** poor! To think Im paying the best part of £200 a year for that plus additional tickets!!!!!! :tsktsk: :blush: ....

Had my windscreen replaced just the other week cos it had a stone chip (filled in, but was a rubbish job (not by autoglass)). Couldn't live with it for another yr, so i changed it with new screen by autoglass. Paid my excess (£70). Would have been £788.90+labour if not paid through insurance LOL.

Mine was £384 quid all in fitted from Lexus, I used them to avoid any issues with water leakage and being stuck between the window fitters, lexus and the insurance company.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links