Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Got An Is300?

Fmrl

I've finally decided to trade in my CTS so I've been looking round for a replacement recently and I keep coming back to an IS300 - they seem to be good value for money at the moment (eg. 2004 plate for around £14k) but there's always the worry of MPG, depreciation, servicing, etc. so I was wondering if anyone has a 300 and could give me some advice about pricing, what to look for when I go for a test drive, what are the alternatives to a 300?

I had an IS200 a few years back that I really liked but the petrol consumption always seemed a bit high. And also, when I traded it in the money on offer wasn't that good so I'm guessing the situation has only got worse since the new IS came out - the long and the short of it is basically is it worth spending £14k on an IS300 any more?

Should you buy an IS300 ...... YES!!! Honest opinions, we're all honest here.

No serioulsy, it depends on what you want out of the car. The MPG isnt great as you well know from your IS200 but the 300 isnt much worse. The servicing costs again wont differ too much from the 200 and too be honest i dont think the servicing costs are bad at all.

I'm not sure about any problems as i dont know a great deal about them but i'm sure they will be in the same reliability class as the rest of the lexus range.

The price will drop the same as any car but i think the depreciation levels are better than alot of other used cars.

I hope this helps and sorry i couldnt be of more use. Good luck with the search.

:shifty:

I now have a sportcross 300 after having had a 200 sport. I had to work my 200 quite hard in the rev range for her to perform, the extra power on the 300 is smoother and quicker without any fuss, I suppose it is a function of being an auto box too. I wanted to stay with the 'original' IS as the 'new' ones seem prone to annoying problems, wheras mine, as per my previous 200 is faultless so far. I think the original 200 was a rare car that hit the market fully sorted (ex alloys!) either by design or luck !!

I set out to swop my 200 for a different car for a change and because my 200 was back end happy, but nothing seemed to compare to her, and so a 300 it was. It's on new rubber and has had a visit to the doctor (just search for 'Dr Bones' if that means nothing to you!) and so I'm really happy now.

I think the 3 litre is the 'correct' engine for the car (ie a sporting luxury saloon, not a sports car) and my biggest smiles are reserved for the longest journey. Looking forward to wafting down to the south of France next spring.

Many thanks for the input Rikos (though I notice you don't have a 300 :winky: ).

I guess I'm looking for something comfortable and relatively fast, not too big, preferably automatic, good reliability, and good value for money. Good MPG would be nice but there doesn't seem to be anything out there that ticks all the boxes.

So far I've considered and rejected Audi A4, Volvo S40, BMW 3 series, Merc CLK, etc. Another IS200 would be an option I suppose but the forecourt prices of the 200 and 300 seem pretty similar these days (so I was just thinknig why not go for the higher spec).

I think the 3 litre is the 'correct' engine for the car (ie a sporting luxury saloon, not a sports car) and my biggest smiles are reserved for the longest journey. Looking forward to wafting down to the south of France next spring.

Cheers Janet, I think that's swayed me - I'll pop round to the local dealer tonight and see about a test drive.

It's on new rubber and has had a visit to the doctor (just search for 'Dr Bones' if that means nothing to you!) and so I'm really happy now.

BTW, I've just been reading through some of the threads about WIM and that brings back some unhappy memories - my IS200 suffered from that uneven front tyre wear problem (inside edges becoming worn out while the middle and outside edges were fine).

I guess that the geometry definitely needs checking on all IS but am I right in thinking that Lexus dealers do this wrong and actually make the problem worse? If so, is it only WIM that can fix this problem? (only reason I ask is that I live near Leeds so a trip over to Hemel Hempstead just to get the car checked and adjusted is going to be a bit inconvenient).

There are "WIM Approved" locations around the country I believe - taking the vehicle to Lexus themselves will not rectify the issue, as they work on the geometry calibration settings distributed from Lexus from the day they rolled off the production line... which were incorrect / unsuitable.

I will be taking my car to the official WIM centre at some point - I know it's quite a journey, but just look at the cost of tyres and that far outweighs the price of a full tank of fuel.

Jamie

There are "WIM Approved" locations around the country I believe - taking the vehicle to Lexus themselves will not rectify the issue, as they work on the geometry calibration settings distributed from Lexus from the day they rolled off the production line... which were incorrect / unsuitable.

Is there one near Leeds?

First thing I'm going to check when I see the car tonight is the state of the inside edge of the front tyres :unsure:

I have a 200 as i wanted a manual. I'd luv the 3 litre engine but they dont do a manual unfortunately!

I'm glad weve managed to sway you back to getting a lex.

As J has said there are WIM approved garages but the travel to Hemel is well worth the trip.

I knoe TDi North are WIM approved but i'm not 100% off there location. There is a link to there website at the bottom of the forum.

Cheers Janet, I think that's swayed me - I'll pop round to the local dealer tonight and see about a test drive.

Whoa there boy! before you go to those nasty dealer type places - i have a lovely June 03 IS300 that should be coming up for sale very shortly :shifty: just over 29k on the clock at the mo', strathcaron blue with oakham leather, styling kit & sat nav.

she's a beauty, my absolute fave car i've ever had & i'll be very sorry to see her go. we had a 200 for 3 years before that & the 300 just improves what was already a great car. i can honestly say the 300 only costs a little more to run, the mpg is about the same at 25-29 for shortish trips & servicing is about the same.

we're off to have a shufty around some Mercedes :tomato: this weekend & try to get some test drives - so should know more after the bank holiday. give me a pm if you might be interested.

Abbie :winky:

Whoa there boy! before you go to those nasty dealer type places - i have a lovely June 03 IS300 that should be coming up for sale very shortly :shifty: just over 29k on the clock at the mo', strathcaron blue with oakham leather, styling kit & sat nav.

That's just the sort of car I'm looking for but I've got to sell my current car so that limits me to a part-ex deal.

BTW, just out of curiosity - if the 300 is so good why are you looking at a Mercedez?

That's just the sort of car I'm looking for but I've got to sell my current car so that limits me to a part-ex deal.

BTW, just out of curiosity - if the 300 is so good why are you looking at a Mercedez?

shame 'bout that, but never mind! :D

the 300 is just over 4 yrs old now (NEVER kept a car that long before) & we couldn't decide whether to keep it till she fell apart/cost too much, or make a swap some time soon - swapping seems to be the way to go, BUT, if the Merc doesn't make me smile as much as her, she'll be staying with us!

we couldn't agree on any other car than the CLK or SLK (CLK would be my preference) & seeing as Mr does get to drive it occasionally, i suppose he's got to like it too! :whistling: we really would love to stay with Lex but there just isn't anything in the current line up that grabs us. perhaps a year old IS-F or the new SC will our next buy...

good look with your shopping, let us know how big your grin was when you put your foot down! :winky:

I looked at a few CLKs a couple of weeks back but the value for money aspect really seems to let them down (and that's even before considering their unhelpful dealerships). All the different combinations and permutations of trim seems to be a bit confusing too.

SLKs just seem a bit impractical for me and I've heard the handling on them isn't all that good (plus isn't the Crysler Crossfire just an SLK with a different body and a much cheaper pricetag?).

Is there one near Leeds?

First thing I'm going to check when I see the car tonight is the state of the inside edge of the front tyres :unsure:

Oldham, Drury lane, having mine done next week :winky:

I think the 3 litre is the 'correct' engine for the car (ie a sporting luxury saloon, not a sports car)
Spot on! I've had my 300 SportCross since May and love it. (Just watch as the back end overtakes you on wet roundabouts!! :o)

I've had both the IS200 and the IS300.

I sold my IS300 in April ... and do I miss it? = Yes.

It was a lovely car, with everything right about it ................ apart from the running costs!

Petrol ... isn't the best, especially when you boot it .... plus the insurance for me wasn't the cheapest.

I'm looking at other cars, and the 'only' reason I wouldn't get another IS300 is because I've been there done that ....

But, in general .... it's the ideal car.

Im in the hunt for one aswell..

problem is that, this hunt is to satisfy a "want" not a "need" and for that reason, my hunt is lacklustre

insruance is high, petrol consumption would be bad with my driving style [assertive, lets say :P ]

but would i recommend some one to buy one? yes!

its the complete package, looks, power, luxury, the lot!

i want a black one with sat nav and TRD kit, under 60k on the clock for £8.5k lol, who knows if i will ever find one.

good luck in your hunt

I've had an IS300 for a couple of months now. Truely the best car I've ever owned. This is my 3rd Lexus, after owning IS200 Auto, IS200 Sport and now this. Performance is really good. MPG is poor, but not that much worse than both 200s I've had.

My IS300 went into a Lexus dealer today and they gave me a 51 reg IS200 Auto as a courtesy car. Now I loved the IS200 Auto when I owned it, but to drive one after having an IS300 for a while the difference really shows.

Cheers

Phil

I've had a IS300 for a few months now and I have got to say its the best car I've ever had. Effortless cruising down the motorway (Even in 3 figures!), enough go to keep you amused on other roads and its so so comfy! Only downside is that there's no manual option but you soon grow to love the tiptronic.

I've hand my 300 for just over 3 years and am very happy with it. The fuel consumption around town is not very good but throw in a reasonable size journey per tankful and the consumption is around 30 mpg. I had a 200 auto for 3 years before this which I was very pleased with but the 300 is something else.

MPG isn't that bad for a 3 Litre petrol lump!

I drove from London down to Yorkshire and back the other day and got 35mpg and that was at 70mph+

I get on average 30mpg and that includes all types of roads, and I don't poodle about neither.

Even after over 3 years of ownership and knocking up 60k miles on the clock, the power delivery still comes as a pleasant shock at times when you put your foot down, for example pulling away from a rounabout or at the lights, it's like a giant push in the back. :lol:

if you get a is300 you wont regret it...i was considering a 200 auto at first but when i test drove a 300 it felt like a different car alltogether...id recomend one any day

the power of the is300 makes up for the mpg - well thas what i tell my self anyway :whistling:

Bought 2001 IS300 2 years ago and love it. Cheap to run and i didn't find servicing too bad either. Never had any trouble with it, and apart from a four wheel drive, never known a car stick to the road on corners like the IS300

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links