Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The New Ipod Touch....

Tyger

Yes, very nice... Sod's law saw me buy my video iPod 30GB only a few weeks ago, however I'm not gonna worry about that. The price was right at the time and I only want it for a music player with lots of storage. And it is, I must say, a superb device.

I'm not impressed with the Iphone though, the lack of any 3G (let alone HSDPA) is a killer for me as I'm a big data user, and I'm not much of a fan of touch-screens either - too fragile, and hard to use one-handed. I don't think handset makers will be shaking in their boots, they do their core market just as well as apple do and charge a lot less for it.

Yes, very nice... Sod's law saw me buy my video iPod 30GB only a few weeks ago, however I'm not gonna worry about that. The price was right at the time and I only want it for a music player with lots of storage. And it is, I must say, a superb device.

I'm not impressed with the iphone though, the lack of any 3G (let alone HSDPA) is a killer for me as I'm a big data user, and I'm not much of a fan of touch-screens either - too fragile, and hard to use one-handed. I don't think handset makers will be shaking in their boots, they do their core market just as well as Apple do and charge a lot less for it.

Mike - Iphone has wifi which blows any 3G or HSDPA out of the water. HSDPA rollout in the UK is next to useless at the moment anyway. There are rumblings that the EU Iphone MAY well be 3G/HSDPA anyway!

This is not any old touchscreen device mate. Trust me! You really have to use one to see how revolutionary this thing is.

The manufacturers ARE shaking in their boots and internally are going insane with worry. This is borne out by many industry analysts who have noted very unusual behaviour with product lines etc since the Iphone announcement in January.

The new price drop from $599 to $399 as well is astonishing. The Iphone IS changing the industry and is doing big data users like yourself a huge favour - at last you will have devices that it is worth downloading data TO, hence bringing mobile data use to the masses. This can only be a good thing. The Iphone is already outselling ALL "Smartphones" in the US (even though it has never been marketed as one) and is THE gadget to have.

does anyone know when the Iphone is out in the UK?

My folks in the states have one and when i had a play on it i thought is was the bo!!ocks!!!

i have a P990i at the minute and was initially very pleased with it, but my need for an Iphone is growing! i love my gadgets!!lol!!

Best guestimates say November - on the O2 network initially.

Yes I NEED an iPhone too! haha

It is clear the difference in opinion of people who have read about the iPhone and those who have used one. It is truly an amazing device.

i can't stress enough how good they actually are!!!

but i don't believe for a second they'll hit the shelves this year. IMHO, think its going to be a 2008 release, despite hearing rumours of a last 1/4 of 2007 release....

im not sure what the big fuss is about these things, can someone tell me in plain english (if you use abbreviations could you please add what they mean as i have no idea what HSDPA is)

All i look for in a phone is

1) It makes telephone calls, easily and clearly

2) Good camera for pics and vids

3) Good music player with big enough storage for both photos and music

4) on the odd occation i go on the internet at the moment it seems fast enough,esspically when connected to my homes wireless net

What has this phone got over the above ???

And also what is it going to cost as im guessing we're in england so its gonna be bloomin expensive

Cheers Elliott

I'm with you on this Elliot, I don't think it's revolutionary - the interface is cool, the design and UI is really slick, but doesn't really do anything new except this visual voicemail thing (which we don't even know yet whether it's going to work over here). Your N95 I'm sure will do everything this does, plus the camera is far better!

Whatever apple says, this is not a business device, it's a lifestyle device that will only be bought by the "ipod massive" and other gadget freaks (like me!) just because it's a funky device.

That ipod touch seems like a nice device, although storage capacity is too low.......

Nice that the Iphone is getting cheaper, means there's a better chance of it being free here, but if it isn't it's not going to do as well as it has in the states as we don't pay for phones over here - $300 on a 24 month contract is still ludicrous compared to the prices we pay here.........

Main problem for me is lack of Bluetooth stereo support - unless this gets added, not really much chance of me getting one :(

heheh dudes! I really think you need to go to apple.com and have a look at the guide videos and look at what this phone is all about.

The Iphone will NEVER be free in the UK - it doesn't have to be as people want it so bad they WILL pay. It's an iPod that makes phonecalls. It's a Mac that makes phonecalls.

N95? pah be serious. You have to understand the thing the Iphone has that no other company can compete with is Mac OS X - the OS. This and the interface is what sets this phone apart. You REALLY have to use one to understand the huge allure this gadget has.

Storage too low?? come on. Think about how people USE these iPods and sync/charge with their Macs/PCs it is a cinch to swap out your songs and files.

By the way....APPLE HAS NEVER SAID THIS IS A BUSINESS DEVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want a cam better than 2 or 3 Megapixels what the hell are you doing buying a phone????? They are CRAP compared to a dedicated cam.

This product is revolutionising the industry - this will be clear in time.

Sorry for random post as am pressed for time. Will fill in gaps and answer other q's later.

Not being a Phone user...(the last left in England?) when i got Apples publicity e-mail, the thing that caught MY eye was that my 80GB I-Pod, which would hold ALL my 3000+ albums (how DOES that work???), though not at hi-fi sampling rate, I guess,......has now been superceded by a 160GB one!!!

So I could possibly get all my music in THAT, at top sampling rate. Sell all my CDs/LPs, get nice simple hi-fi.......(that's simple and expensive!) And have lless clutter.

As it is, I stick the thing on 'Shuffle' most times. Like radio, only MY choice!

Check out the picture....Ipod into Avantgarde Duos; GREAT sound!

And even better through .....???? 2nd pic! :whistling:

heheh dudes! I really think you need to go to apple.com and have a look at the guide videos and look at what this phone is all about.

The iPhone will NEVER be free in the UK - it doesn't have to be as people want it so bad they WILL pay. It's an iPod that makes phonecalls. It's a Mac that makes phonecalls.

N95? pah be serious. You have to understand the thing the iPhone has that no other company can compete with is Mac OS X - the OS. This and the interface is what sets this phone apart. You REALLY have to use one to understand the huge allure this gadget has.

Storage too low?? come on. Think about how people USE these iPods and sync/charge with their Macs/PCs it is a cinch to swap out your songs and files.

By the way....APPLE HAS NEVER SAID THIS IS A BUSINESS DEVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want a cam better than 2 or 3 Megapixels what the hell are you doing buying a phone????? They are CRAP compared to a dedicated cam.

This product is revolutionising the industry - this will be clear in time.

Sorry for random post as am pressed for time. Will fill in gaps and answer other q's later.

I know your pressed for time but this still leaves me thinking, what the hell does it do that other phones dont ???, If its got big storage for loads of music that great, what else does it do ??? Unless all your saying is its really easy to swap music from your PC to your phone using itunes ?? and it charges at the same time ??

hahahhaah Chris that is INSANE!!!!! I REALLY hope the iPods are using apple Lossless encoding!!!!! ;)

Ellz:

http://www.apple.com/iphone

Please watch all the vids and read all the info!

It's all there.

After you have done this please feel free to ask me anything - else I am just repeating info that is easily available.

Aren't they Unos? And I've no ideas what the speakers are in the second pic. Do tell.

I was totally nonplussed by the press released and general shenanigans the heralded the arrival of the i-phone. I really didn't give a rats. Then a guy in the US showed it to me and demonstrated some of its nifty features. Suffice to say, now I want one. Badly.

Its got a few good things on it, the thing that stands out most is the user interface, its friendly and moves around alot, i dont see why this is still such an amazing new revolution in phone technology though.

The only thing i will be impressed with is if it runs as smoothly as it does in the demo videos when its got 1000's of songs 100's of contacts emails movies etc.

The 1 big down fall i see is you cant use it with 1 hand due to its size and the touch screen, everything in the videos was with a finger apart from the 2 thumb typing. I have herd that some numb nut got thumb surgery so he could use it better but not sure if that was 100% true.

Maybe i'll be more impressed when i see or have ago on one myself.

Aren't they Unos? And I've no ideas what the speakers are in the second pic. Do tell.

I was totally nonplussed by the press released and general shenanigans the heralded the arrival of the i-phone. I really didn't give a rats. Then a guy in the US showed it to me and demonstrated some of its nifty features. Suffice to say, now I want one. Badly.

No Unos are similar, but horn a little smaller. I have Duos, and had Solos (which are great imagers) too.

The other pic is some nutters custom horn set up! Notice how many little horns are dotted about!

Horns are fantastic things, but you CAN get a bit OTT! You COULD run horns on 2 watts!! And that's V LOUD!

As to Lossless ...I think so.

At the end of the day it is still just a phone i really dont see what all the fuss is about and why people will pay lot's of money just because it does 1 or 2 more things than others.

I know that i would rather stick with my sony ericsson as i dont really have the time to sit on my phone playin with all the controls, thats just my opinion though.

Mike - iPhone has wifi which blows any 3G or HSDPA out of the water. HSDPA rollout in the UK is next to useless at the moment anyway. There are rumblings that the EU iPhone MAY well be 3G/HSDPA anyway!

This is not any old touchscreen device mate. Trust me! You really have to use one to see how revolutionary this thing is.

Now come along - you're talking to someone who is a proper data user. I have an HSDPA device at the moment, in my laptop, which is backhauled by T-Mobile. Almost everywhere civilised (ie in a town, and many country places) I can get a 3.6MB connection. Wi-fi is great in Starbucks and airports, but it just doesn't cut it out in the real world of sitting in customer offices etc when you can't plug your laptop into the network but also need to pick up your email, run VPN connections into other offices etc etc. I'm not interested in downloading data onto the device itself but using it as a modem, as can be done with datacards and other 3G mobile phones. Time for you to trust me - public wifi is not a substitute for mobile telephony networks, and HSDPA with a fallback of 3G, is rather more widely available than wifi hotspots.

Other than that I'm sure it's a fine device, but my gut instinct is still 'style over substance' and in any case it has major failings for my usage patterns. Also - can the touchscreen be operated accurately by one hand?

Maneesh - hehe no but I think I always have that career option open to me!

Chris - for those amazing speakers you should be ripping all your music into iTunes using the apple Lossless algorithm - much better than aac but larger file sizes. This will get you the best sound quality from a digital device.

Rikos - I suggest you use an Iphone and then it will all become clear.

MikeB - It seems all you need is what you already have! A data card. What does that have to do with the Iphone? The Iphone is a personal gadget not a business data pipe! *scratches head*

The screen can absolutely be operated with one hand, but typing is faster with two of course.

I can't wait for the damn thing to get here and you lot can try it!! I will be VERY interested to see all your comments then!!!! :)

It all sounds too good to be true - just remember one thing - the iPod is sold at a standard price everywhere - it ws when I checked the prices in the 'states last year...

How will they price the Iphone in the UK? Will it be rip off Britain again? 'cos if it is I will NOT buy one, no matter how good...

I'm questioning the usablity with one hand as well, the thing is huge to get your thumb across to top left side of phone will be interesting, and ive got big hands, but we'll see.

Was reading the yahoo piece yesterday about them dropping prices, some people think they arent selling enough (they wanted 1 million in first quater or something) so have dropped to try and hit target.

After this amazing price cut I am guessing £269 in the UK.

Ellz: Some people believe in Father Christmas. The Iphone sales in the US have been phenomenal and they are easily on target to reach their 1million target. The price reduction is simply to assure total devastation of the mobile market for the US holiday - which traditionally sees the highest volume of apple sales. Any ANALysts who say different should look for a new job.

Ellz: Some people believe in Father Christmas. The iPhone sales in the US have been phenomenal and they are easily on target to reach their 1million target. The price reduction is simply to assure total devastation of the mobile market for the US holiday - which traditionally sees the highest volume of Apple sales. Any ANALysts who say different should look for a new job.

Well not 100%, they sold 200,000 before the release then there lots of other figures flying around apple said they sold 280,000 in july but the companys that sold them only said 200,000. but even if they sell 200,000 a month thats only just gonna make the 1,000,000 mark over the quater, maybe thats why they dropped the price, as sales are bound to slow.

Ellz: Some people believe in Father Christmas. The iPhone sales in the US have been phenomenal and they are easily on target to reach their 1million target. The price reduction is simply to assure total devastation of the mobile market for the US holiday - which traditionally sees the highest volume of Apple sales. Any ANALysts who say different should look for a new job.

Well not 100%, they sold 200,000 before the release then there lots of other figures flying around apple said they sold 280,000 in july but the companys that sold them only said 200,000. but even if they sell 200,000 a month thats only just gonna make the 1,000,000 mark over the quater, maybe thats why they dropped the price, as sales are bound to slow.

Mate - sales projections are 11 million in 2009. Sales are NOT even dreaming of slowing!

I am looking forward to the iPhone's arrival, cos I can't wait to have a play, and I'm sure it'll sell really well, but that doesn't make it the best device!

For me the lack of Bluetooth stereo is a deal clincher, so I doubt I'll actually buy one, but if the device is amazing, let's wait and see!

And yes, it WAS marketed as a business device - as soon as you start comparing it to Blackberrys and the Motorola Q, that's all it can be as no one other than businessmen actually know what these devices are!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links