Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting Plasma Dials

Remove the 3 screws holding the surround on, 2 at the top, 1 at the bottom.

DSC01056.jpg

DSC01057.jpg

Gently pull the surround away and unclip the brightness adjuster.

DSC01058.jpg

Remove the 3 screws holding in the dials, 1 at the top, 2 at the bottom.

DSC01059.jpg

DSC01060.jpg

Gently pull the dials towards you until you can reach around and unclip the 2 plugs. (at this stage you will lose your trip mileage), remove the unit.

DSC01063.jpg

Remove the black surround from the dials, by removing the screw at the top and unclipping the 6/7 tabs.

DSC01069.jpg

Turn the dials over and remove the 4 larger gold screws.

DSC01066.jpg

Gently ease out the centre speedo dial, it its only held in place by pins, be gentle though as the pins are delicate.

DSC01070.jpg

Lift the speedo needle over the stop pin and let it rest, either take a pic or count the number of marks so you put it back in the correct position. Now gently pull the needle off.

DSC01072.jpg

Turn the speedo over and undo the 3 gold screws and the battery/temp/mpg dials will come away. Now remove the temp needle, it just pulls off.

DSC01071.jpg

DSC01075.jpg

Take the new plasma dials and place some double sided tape around the edge. Get the new dials in place by slipping them over the battery/mpg needles and onto the stop pegs.

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01077.jpg

Now turnover the speedo and tape the new plasma dial on the inside of the speedo.

DSC01078.jpg

For the fuel gauge you’ll need to remove the stop peg and again using double sided tape around the edges position and stick the new dial in place. (This is easier with the dial removed, as with the speedo, gently pull the dial up). Now put the stop peg back in, getting it back in can a bit tricky, I just had to make the hole a tad wider.

DSC01079.jpg

Repeat the above step for the rev counter, there is no need to remove the rev or fuel needles.

Now screw the battery/temp/mpg back into the speedo. Push back in the fuel and rev gauges, making sure the pins line up. Now push back in the speedo.

DSC01083.jpg

Screw the 4 gold screws back in and put the speedo needle back on in the same position it was removed and lift it back over the stop pin.

Now for the wiring, we are going to wire it into the larger of the two connector blocks

If you want to be able to dim them with the standard dimmer then connect the live to the Green with grey band and the neutral goes to cream with a grey band.

DSC01085.jpg

Now we need to connect the dials back up and start the car so it gets up to temperature, once its there push the temperature needle back on so that it’s horizontal.

Unplug again and clip in the black dial surround making sure the cables aren’t clamped by the clips and put the little screw back in.

DSC01086.jpg

Connect up the four connectors for the different part of the dials, doesn’t matter in which order they go. Tie wrap the extra cable and tuck it behind the speedo. Carefully place the speedo back into position and secure with the 3 screws.

Place the surround back over and connect up the dimmer plug, once back in place secure with the 3 screws.

This is what it will now look like.

DSC01087.jpg

They look really smart, and great tutorial.

One question though, do the needles not light up once fitted?

Yes mate, they do, the pic I took was taken before they were all connected back up. Can take one with the needles lit if needed.

This is a video from the test of the dimmer switch, not dials weren't fitted properly yet.

th_MOV01096.jpg

Lee.

So Lee the eBay linky is all the kit u need to get it looking like yours? no extra bulbs needed?You don't have to replace the speed dial do you ? since mine is in kilometers and the top speed on it is 180kmh.Would like it more though if it didn't have a lexus logo on it. Did u go for the white or blue tint one?

So Lee the ebay linky is all the kit u need to get it looking like yours? no extra bulbs needed?You don't have to replace the speed dial do you ? since mine is in kilometers and the top speed on it is 180kmh.Would like it more though if it didn't have a lexus logo on it. Did u go for the white or blue tint one?

Not sure if he has any for the Altezza, are all the lights in the same place as mine, particularly the Battery and bulb out indication. If they are then I can't see why these won't fit :)

Nothing needs replacing and everything you need comes with the kit, even some double sided tape :)

You can switch between the two colours using the switch supplied. I'll take a vid in a sec when I take a pic of the needles :)

So Lee the ebay linky is all the kit u need to get it looking like yours? no extra bulbs needed?You don't have to replace the speed dial do you ? since mine is in kilometers and the top speed on it is 180kmh.Would like it more though if it didn't have a lexus logo on it. Did u go for the white or blue tint one?

No extra bulbs needed!!!!!

it doesn't matter what speed you have on ur speedo dial, cos the light source goes to the back of ur original ring.!

as long as the rev, and fuel are correct, they should be fine!

No extra bulbs needed!!!!!

it doesn't matter what speed you have on ur speedo dial, cos the light source goes to the back of ur original ring.!

as long as the rev, and fuel are correct, they should be fine!

As in this pic mate, its just a band of light to act as a backlight to the dials

DSC01078.jpg

As in this pic mate, its just a band of light to act as a backlight to the dials

Is there anyway this idea could be applied to the whole cluster? I like the idea of the even white illumination, but don't want to stick bits on top as the colour doesn't seem to be exactly the same.........

Is it possible to simply have bits of "light" to stick behind each dial? Or am I just talking a load of nonsense?

if you want to place the plasma dial behind ur original ones, u will have to remove all the needles (rev, speed, temp, battery, MPG, fuel).

As James says there is a lot more work involved with that and more room for error when putting the needles back on. Your more than welcome to try it and let us know how it goes, but i didn't want to take that risk :)

Not even sure how the orignal dials are stuck on :unsure:

if you want to place the plasma dial behind ur original ones, u will have to remove all the needles (rev, speed, temp, battery, MPG, fuel).

As James says there is a lot more work involved with that and more room for error when putting the needles back on. Your more than welcome to try it and let us know how it goes, but i didn't want to take that risk :)

Not even sure how the orignal dials are stuck on :unsure:

the original ones sticks on the plastics underneath.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links