Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi guys, if i park my ls facing down a hill when raining or washing, water collects on both front corners of the boot drainage channels as it cant run away, Ive lifted the plastic trim and there is no drainage holes under it to allow water to leave. i Find it hard to believe lexus missed this. My drive has a small slope on it so if i suspect rain or want to clean it i have to park facing upwards which is not always convienient. I would not want to leave it parked for several days with a pool of water just sitting there, It just seems like poor design (hard to think i know_)

Has anyone else experienced this collecting of water ?

cheers steve. :question:

It seems to be, ive got a little water in boot on n/s but thats because its collecting in drain channel, it may be normal but it just doesent make sense that the water has no way to drain if car is facing down hill,

Its collecting thru gap between bootlid and rear flank panels which must be normal as the gap leads into the drain channel, but collects forward if car on slope, maybe its normal lol

Hi graham,

thanks, for confirming that .It must just have been overlooked on design stage

annoying though as we have to consider where to park and if its going to rain!!!

steve.

You can't buy a car in Japan unless you have an off the road parking space to park it (no on-road parking allowed!)

Most garages probably level? And rain proof.....Ergo.....

Yes, my 2 LSs did/do the same. AND leaked via tail-lights until sealed!

CAN YOU HEAR ME THROUGH THE RAIN? :whistling:

hi chris, thats interesting about parking in japland.

:yahoo: light bulb moment ,, im moving to japland ! serious commute, but hey, why not.

Still seems like an oversight though considering they got most other things 99% spot on.

mot next friday , am having kittens already , check posts soon for free moggies.

steve.

A few things to do to stop water coming in.

Firstly there is a small plug under the plastic cover. There's one each side about the size of 1p coin. I used them to release the water from the sides as you state you have.

Next thing is to get the rubber seal off all the way around the boot and clean, Removing any moss or dirt or sludge etc from the rubber. I spray the rubber with some silicone spray to helkp repal any water that meets it. Check there are no rips or holes on the rubber, If so replace with new seal.

After removing the rubber seal clean the bidytwork around the boot and use some good polish to help water run away. Also check there are no blockages around the back of the bonnet wear the hinges are. The bit you're looking for is like a seal of overlap of bodywork.(You'll know where once you lift the rubber). Thats where you get a blockage then forces water into the boot.

one other thing to check is the aerial connection to the bodywork. Is the seal OK around the base.

This should stop the water in problems you have.

• Like 1

hi chris, thats interesting about parking in japland.

:yahoo: light bulb moment ,, im moving to japland ! serious commute, but hey, why not.

Still seems like an oversight though considering they got most other things 99% spot on.

mot next friday , am having kittens already , check posts soon for free moggies.

steve.

I visited Japan for a week on way back from N-Z. Was an amazing time! Very neat, very polite. Fantastic history and old buildings; e.g. a Temple built in 872 is the biggest wooden building in the world....BUT...it is a replacement for an earlier one that burnt down....which was a third BIGGER! Would go again.

• 15 years later...

Hi Steve, I need some advice please, my 400 also suffers from the same water ingress problem as your's (and I have to leave my car on my sloped driveway). Did you resolve your issue in the end, if so how please?

I've cleaned the boot channels, bought and fitted a replacement boot seal and siliconed it thoroughly. I have worked out the water cannot flow fast enough down the channels so the level builds up under the middle (under the rear window), then overspills into the boot. I've read elsewhere on this forum (but can't find it now for love nor money?) that some others have drilled a drain hole and tube. Can anyone share how to fix the pipe please? I've tried a grommet and glue, doesn't hold. 

Stan sadly, or thankfully, I can offer zero input here 

I have never in all my Ls400s had this problem and my cars are ever only parked flattish ........  thinking, could it be specific to the Mk4 I wonder !   that might narrow it down a tad

Malc

• Like 1

Thinking ,when i get my Mk1 later today perhaps you would like to pop over to inspect my Mk1 and Mk3 to see if the boot lid set-up differs from yours slightly ?

Malc

• Like 1

Hi Stan, whilst it may seem obvious, can you not park your car the other way around?
If it is parked with the water running down towards the rear screen then there is a very good chance of it overflowing into the boot during a heavy rainstorm, no matter what the car.
Rubber seals are only good up to a certain point and the drains can only pass so much rain (less if they are clogged, even partially).

You can also "build up" the boot seal by putting RTV (bath sealant) on the lip that the seal fits to and then fitting the new seal whilst the RTV is still soft. The RTV fills the inside of the seal meaning that water cannot get into the boot via the underside of the seal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

Hi Stan, whilst it may seem obvious, can you not park your car the other way around?
If it is parked with the water running down towards the rear screen then there is a very good chance of it overflowing into the boot during a heavy rainstorm, no matter what the car.
Rubber seals are only good up to a certain point and the drains can only pass so much rain (less if they are clogged, even partially).

You can also "build up" the boot seal by putting RTV (bath sealant) on the lip that the seal fits to and then fitting the new seal whilst the RTV is still soft. The RTV fills the inside of the seal meaning that water cannot get into the boot via the underside of the seal. 

Thanks George. It seems that since I've redone the silicon that no leaks come over the sides, its just the back. The new seal itself is a little higher than the oem one, so closing the boot take a little more effort, which I guess means it seals better, however if I need to take it off again I will build it up more as you suggest. I did, ages ago, try parking facing downhill but the seemed a lot worse, but that said you've prompted me to try again:o)  The drain hole I've drilled in the middle has completely stopped the overspill problem, so if I can just find a way to fix the drain hose I'll be golden (he says hopefully). I've seen a drain hose for a VW golf with a built in grommet, might try that. If not maybe I can find a hollow bolt and washer combo that will help??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Thinking ,when i get my Mk1 later today perhaps you would like to pop over to inspect my Mk1 and Mk3 to see if the boot lid set-up differs from yours slightly ?

Malc

Thanks for the kind offer Malc, but I've got the MOT late this afternoon and I'm not 100% confident of a pass, as she needs a rear suspension strut and front bush/control arm (they are on order) and there is still a coolant leak(one of the new hoses has split a little). The rear brake pipes were an advisory previously but I've not been able to source new ones yet, I don't think they'd fail on that as its not too bad. My other 400 is also a '99 and looks identical, but it would be interesting to compare.  IMHO it feels like the boot /channel needs to slope a little more from the middle towards the sides.

20 minutes ago, Stanwithaplan said:

brake pipes were an advisory previously

I've never seen these BUT I'm always thinking the brake pipes are just summat the mechanic will run off a roll and bespoke make / join up with what's good !

Malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I've never seen these BUT I'm always thinking the brake pipes are just summat the mechanic will run off a roll and bespoke make / join up with what's good !

Malc

I'm not sure Malc? Lexus technician told me they have to fit as a single length therefore need to take off a lot of stuff, but advised I got to an indy as they can cut and join after fitting as its quicker and cheaper. Lexus also said part no longer available. My indy says he could make them himself.

• Like 1

It was a long time ago but I vaguely remember another member coming up with a solution for the boot corner water collection problem.

I cannot find the post but pretty sure it involved carefully drilling a hole in each side of the plastic channel and metal ( remove the trim, clean up the metal and apply rust prevention)then getting a couple of the kids’ plastic pea shooters, cutting them down and siliconing them flush with the drain channel.

From there a piece of clear plastic pipe was attached to the cut down end and these were routed behind the carpet eventually emerging out under the car with the sunroof drain pipes.

Similar solution mention below 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

It was a long time ago but I vaguely remember another member coming up with a solution for the boot corner water collection problem.

I cannot find the post but pretty sure it involved carefully drilling a hole in each side of the plastic channel and metal ( remove the trim, clean up the metal and apply rust prevention)then getting a couple of the kids’ plastic pea shooters, cutting them down and siliconing them flush with the drain channel.

From there a piece of clear plastic pipe was attached to the cut down end and these were routed behind the carpet eventually emerging out under the car with the sunroof drain pipes.

Similar solution mention below 

Many thanks Steve. Peas shooters-Genius!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links