Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Central Locking

Recently my central locking has been behaving quite strangely - sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it doesn't respond at all and needs repeated presses before it finally opens or locks.

At first I thought it might be the problem some people suffer with transmitters, etc but it seems to happen anywhere and everywhere now so I'm guessing the problem must lie with the car. I'm not sure if it's just the Battery in the key (which I will replace at some point to check) but I've tried all three keys I have and they all have the same problem.

The worst was a few days ago when it simply would not lock at all and I had to lock it with the key. When I came back to the car about 15 mins later, the remote locking worked perfectly.

I have no idea what's going on with it, but I'm worried it's going to not let me in at a time when I really need the car!

Has anyone experienced anything similar or know what's wrong with it? I'm already starting to anticipate an expensive repair bill........ :unsure:

I'm not sure if it's just the battery in the key (which I will replace at some point to check) but I've tried all three keys I have and they all have the same problem.

Start with the cheapest and easiest thing. Batterys dont last for ever, even if they arent used, so could well be the fact, no matter how unlikely, that all 3 keys batteries are on their last legs.

Another trick is to hold the key fub under your chin and press it, it amplifies the signal!, sounds like an old wives tale, but its been proven many-a-time, and it even mentions it in Clifford alarm cataloges!

I'm not sure if it's just the battery in the key (which I will replace at some point to check) but I've tried all three keys I have and they all have the same problem.

Start with the cheapest and easiest thing. Batterys dont last for ever, even if they arent used, so could well be the fact, no matter how unlikely, that all 3 keys batteries are on their last legs.

Another trick is to hold the key fub under your chin and press it, it amplifies the signal!, sounds like an old wives tale, but its been proven many-a-time, and it even mentions it in Clifford alarm cataloges!

Or as clarkson did rub it on your hair(if you have any that is)

I had this prob with my old Lexus had 2 get AA out luckily was still under waranty so got it sorted new actuator in door i think :question:

Now the new 1 is @ it :tsktsk:, not quite as bad but thinkin it will get worse so may b waranty again b4 it runs out :eerrrmm:

Thanks for all the replies, I've actually tried everything up there already!

Whenever it's refused to work, I've tried walking all round the car blipping the remote, I've put the remote against my head, etc...... (and thankfully yes, I do still have hair! :))

I am definitely going to change the Battery in the remote before I do anything else, but the thing that's confusing me is how it sometimes doesn't work at all, and then sometimes works perfectly from 20ft away - it appears more that the car sometimes isn't sensing the key.........

I'll change the Battery in the key and post back as to whether that works, thanks again!

Well feel a bit stupid now - got a new battery yesterday and all seems to be working fine now! :blush:

At least I know what the symptoms are next time I need a new battery!

The reason why it worked sometimes and not others was coz batterys when on there last legs they work better when they are warm and so could of had just enough charge sometimes when say in your pocket....so tend to be hit and miss when about to die on ya.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links