Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This Might Be A Stupid Question

GWilso

I'm just about to order new upgraded discs and pads

Would this be classed as a modification by my insurence company :yawn:

Yes of course...if they are non OEM and larger diameter discs.

this is the question, are mintex pads, and dba discs really an upgrade......

the discs are the same diameter, the pads have the same surface area, its not like putting those componenets on your car increases its stopping distance,

however fitting 47 pot Titanium calipers with 468mm discs, ........may be considered an Upgrade

ya ya, they are a change from manufacturers OEM components, but how far do you go.

get your discs and pads changed at quik fit, ......must tell the insurance company, order PIAA wiperblades, ....must tell the insurance company, change the tyres from OEM fitted bridgestones/dunlops to ....oooh lets say, Toyo, ......must tell insurance company.

i dont think so.

when you all had those old cars, did you tell the insurance company when you had a walker replacement exhaust fitted after the Fiord one rusted out in 2 years.

;)

this is the question, are mintex pads, and dba discs really an upgrade......

the discs are the same diameter, the pads have the same surface area, its not like putting those componenets on your car increases its stopping distance,

however fitting 47 pot Titanium calipers with 468mm discs, ........may be considered an Upgrade

ya ya, they are a change from manufacturers OEM components, but how far do you go.

get your discs and pads changed at quik fit, ......must tell the insurance company, order Piaa wiperblades, ....must tell the insurance company, change the tyres from OEM fitted bridgestones/dunlops to ....oooh lets say, Toyo, ......must tell insurance company.

i dont think so.

when you all had those old cars, did you tell the insurance company when you had a walker replacement exhaust fitted after the Fiord one rusted out in 2 years.

;)

When he said upgrade I assumed a BBK which is strictly speaking a modification. I certainly didn't inform my Insurance Company when I fitted DBA discs and Mintex pads to my IS200....

I'm in two minds about informing them on fitting the IS350 upgrade to the IS250...but I think I should. In theory they ought to reduce the premium :whistling: fat chance I think.

Do you inform the Insurance Company when you fit larger rims to the car? The 'nodding dog' immediately requested another £50 on my premium, based on their assumption that it would attract thieves, but the Company I normally use did not. What threw both Companies was when I said I'd be using the 17" OEM wheels with winter tyres and the 19" on summer tyres....neither appeared to have a 'policy' for that one :lol: The whole things a minefield but normally the policy states that you should inform of any changes to the car from as originally manufactured.

Thanks for the info guys

Me being the sort of letter of the law kinda guy I contacted my insurence company the one with all the chickens cluck cluck and explained I wanted to change from the OEM discs and pads

Well heres the answer........ no no no not even for an extra premium.

Well bang goes that idea

Thanks for the info guys

Me being the sort of letter of the law kinda guy I contacted my insurence company the one with all the chickens cluck cluck and explained I wanted to change from the OEM discs and pads

Well heres the answer........ no no no not even for an extra premium.

Well bang goes that idea

Thats insane but I can see they do it to protect themselves..

Me being the sort of letter of the law kinda guy I contacted my insurance company, the one with all the chickens cluck cluck, and explained I wanted to change from the OEM discs and pads. Well, here's the answer........ no no no not even for an extra premium.
If they enforced that, virtually every Ford and Vauxhall over about three years old would be uninsured! Once the car is out of warranty and being serviced by the local garage rather than the main agent, stuff like discs and pads invariably comes from a motor factor.

I would not tell them about different discs that were not bigger/drilled etc. If you did get pulled up about it at anytime you could say you never knew and it was like that when you got it.(if 2nd hand) How could a Joe Bloggs know?

I did tell them when i changed wheels up 1 size and they never charged me extra but i changed my private plate at same time which carried a £25 transaction fee. If i had not been changing plate i guess the wheels would have cost £25 fee.

To me, if you change for A.N.Other manufacturers discs and pads it is ok, unless you upgrade performance. i.e. drilled or grooved discs etc.

So, if you have lexus discs and change them to standard Mintex OEM replacement, there is no problem.

After all, if you took your car to a non lexus garage and asked them to change the discs, chances are they will not by Lexus ones.

but increasing your policy when you're making your car safe is absurd!

My S has been made to look like a sport (with the exception of the interior and sun roof) if i told any insurance company i have rung for a quote then they wont insure me because im under 25. but if i went out and bought a sport then the premium just goes up £120.

Where's the logic!?!?

also, you can upgrade your ICE and have thousands of pound worth of kit in the car (surely something that would make it more desrable to thieves!) yet your premium doesn't increase!

:offtopic: RANT NOW:

Insurance companies can charge what they want because we MUST hve insurance, it pi55e5 me right off as i havent made a claim or had an acident or any points on my license since passing my test (and ive paid over £4000 in premiums in 4 years).

also, you can upgrade your ICE and have thousands of pound worth of kit in the car (surely something that would make it more desrable to thieves!) yet your premium doesn't increase!

Actually if you read your policy they'll only cover about £250 worth of ICE.

Stav

Actually if you read your policy they'll only cover about £250 worth of ICE.

Stav

Direct Line covered me for £1000 on my first car and Churchill are about the same with the Lex

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links