Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thankfully nothing major, but I have two questions:

1) I was at some traffic lights this morning, when I got there the left hand turn lane was empyt (I wanted to turn left) so I pulled to the front and

stopped. As it transpired, the lorry in the middle (to the right of the left hand lane) was also turning left but I did not clock this. When the

lights turned green, I went and so did he and in I then witnessed the lorry heading for me, so I put my foot down to get out of his way, but he

still managed to hit the rear of my drivers side

Much shouting and waving of hands later we pulled over, swapped details, but he claims it was my fault and I am undecided if it is or not. I can

see his point, blind spot and all that, but I did not see his indicators and even if I did, what's his big mirrors for?

Has anyone got any insight or thoughts?

2) I have several scuffs and scratches on the rear drivers side of my lovely IS250. Nothing major, only superficial, but I want them sorted out

My insurance is telling me to go to Lexus Body Shop, but on the basis that I may want to do this myself outside of insurance to save the no claims, are they the best person to go to. I live in Hemel Hempstead - are there any good body shoppers out there?

Thanks

I would say without a doubt he is at fault. He should be turning left from the left lane not the middle lane unless of course he was an exceptional load that couldn't turn from the left lane in which case he should be looking in mirrors and taking great care.

The Highway Code dictates that you should not assume a lorries direction...... he may have needed to use the middle lane just to make the left turn there is a blind spot on lorries on the corner of the nearside but i would imagine he should have still seen you

I would say without a doubt he is at fault. He should be turning left from the left lane not the middle lane unless of course he was an exceptional load that couldn't turn from the left lane in which case he should be looking in mirrors and taking great care.

Who's assuming his direction? He was stopped at a set of lights!! The driver should have checked and proceeded with caution much the same as we are taught when pulling away from the side of the road on our standard driving lessons!!!

If he couldnt turn safely, he shouldnt have attemped the manouver!

You were where you should have been and he was not!

Had you not accelerated to try get out of his way, he could well have crushed your car!!!

I should also add that from what you've described it should'nt be your fault he technicly ran into the back of you

The Highway Code dictates that you should not assume a lorries direction...... he may have needed to use the middle lane just to make the left turn there is a blind spot on lorries on the corner of the nearside but i would imagine he should have still seen you

Sorry to hear about your accident, a similar thing happened to my mother many years ago, the truck driver disappeared and the trucking firm denied the whole thing.

I hope it doesn't happen in your case, but you're right to think about doing the work outside of insurance as most likely you won't be getting anything from them despite it clearly being the truck drivers fault.

It might be a bit too far for you, but I use Lexus Woodford for all my bodywork as they are brilliant and very reasonably priced. Plus they're always happy to do drop-offs and pick-ups on saturdays which makes it easier to get to them, and you'll get an IS250 as a courtesy car.

Hope it sorts itself out.

Sorry to hear your bad news...

I run a fleet dept which includes 180 LGV's, we do a full driver training programme in a bid to prevent such accidents....

If the driver had any sense he would have stradled the lanes to prevent a car coming up the inside... Also if he is turning left he should have checked both the main and wide angled mirror, that is what there for. We usually emphasise this as a safety point especially in towns as cyclist's/motorbikes are bad for coming up the inside and they receive a hell of a lot more damage than a car as you can imagine.

All the insurance companies will do is battle it out and end up settling on a 50/50 even although it was really the truck drivers fault...

Unless he was indicating and there are witness's, this can only be ruled in your favour. But it' not that easy!

As stated above, insurance companies nowadays just do a 50/50 wherever they can get away with it...that way shared liability is awarded to either of you and the insurance companies are not worse off...it all balances out for them over time...

Unless you have a witness and are prepared to go to court....even a passenger in your car can count as a legitimate witness....but then it's probably not worth it.

Unless you've got NCB problms or a high premium, I'd claim! It's a near as darn it £2x,000 (£30,000+ if you have MM) car...it's got to be worth the best possible fix?

Thanks to you all, very good responses

I'vd had two quotes this morning, one from Hatfield Lexus - £1000 for parts and Labour and one for £650 from a local body shop, but I have to say I'd rather it was done by a dealer for obvious reasons.

I am concerned by the 50/50 split as this would appear to be the way the insurance company are thinking. I have a protected NCB and this is my first strike and for the difference between my excess and the Lexus quote I have to say I'm inclined to get it done. Will a 50/50 go down as a fault claim? I guess it will.

I've just revisited the junction btw and the middle lane is very clearly a straight on lane, but in line with Lex Bhoy, I suspect it will mean very little in this situation. There were no witnesses I know of, although the driver of the lorry claimed he had a lorry driver passing by give him his number as a witness if needs be!!!!

All in all, I've spoken with the owner firm who acknowledge an accident and I know the police were informed of the incident, so I guess I should be happy to have sprayed up and cost me my excess and a strike on the NCB

this sounds terrible! i remember my crash, it was a huge waiting game.

the way i see it it was his fault. he was in wrong lane unless he was indicating.

someone on this forum works inside an insurance company, im sure he can help here

There were no witnesses I know of, although the driver of the lorry claimed he had a lorry driver passing by give him his number as a witness if needs be!!!!

Heard that dazzler before! I doubt his sincerity somewhat....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links