Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Is The Is220d Ride Height Taller Than The Is250

Hey Guys

This is my first post and T minus 18 days untill I get my Is220d se-l MM Black with Black with Sun roof. As I sit in a bar in Camps bay, Cape town surrounded my sun and hot women I find myself thinking about my pending delivery on the 10th of March. Very sad I know but I must admit I have never been this excited over a new car before. My Wife is tired of hearing about it but I don't care.

I have been dealing with Lexus Twickenham and the salesman there has been nothing short of fantasic. I am one off those people that must know everything before he will buy something and he has been great in putting up with me. He deserves a medal and I might just get him one. LOL.

The one question that I have never asked is way the IS220d has a heigher ride height than the Is250. Even the sport model sits taller. Does anybody know?

Right so now I will get back to my beer and all these beautiful women. Hope my wife does not catch me. LOL

Cheers :shifty:

Hey Guys

This is my first post and T minus 18 days untill I get my Is220d se-l MM Black with Black with Sun roof. As I sit in a bar in Camps bay, Cape town surrounded my sun and hot women I find myself thinking about my pending delivery on the 10th of March. Very sad I know but I must admit I have never been this excited over a new car before. My Wife is tired of hearing about it but I don't care.

I have been dealing with Lexus Twickenham and the salesman there has been nothing short of fantasic. I am one off those people that must know everything before he will buy something and he has been great in putting up with me. He deserves a medal and I might just get him one. LOL.

The one question that I have never asked is way the IS220d has a heigher ride height than the Is250. Even the sport model sits taller. Does anybody know?

Right so now I will get back to my beer and all these beautiful women. Hope my wife does not catch me. LOL

First of all...and I don't want to piddle on your bonfire, but why did you pick the 220D? :whistling:

Secondly, I don't know why you think the 220D rides higher because it's exactly the same height as the IS250 ....1425 mm...(not counting mine at 1390 mm) :lol: .

Not sure if this is the exact reason why but as far as I am aware, diesel engine cars require stiffer front springs to their petrol counterparts in order to support the additional weight of the oil burner engine. As a result, the ride height is set slightly higher in order to maintain the ride quality.

Not sure if this is the exact reason why but as far as I am aware, diesel engine cars require stiffer front springs to their petrol counterparts in order to support the additional weight of the oil burner engine. As a result, the ride height is set slightly higher in order to maintain the ride quality.

thats what the lexus dealer @ newcastle said when i questioned it

That explanation makes sense - its the same with my BMW 330D vs a BMW 330i - the D has stiffer springs due to the weight of the engine

That explanation makes sense - its the same with my BMW 330D vs a BMW 330i - the D has stiffer springs due to the weight of the engine

I'm sorry to disagree guys, but if you check the dimensions on the Lexus UK site for the 220D and the 250 they're both the same dimension from the floor to the roof...1425mm.

Hey Guys

First of all...and I don't want to piddle on your bonfire, but why did you pick the 220D? :whistling:

Secondly, I don't know why you think the 220D rides higher because it's exactly the same height as the IS250 ....1425 mm...(not counting mine at 1390 mm) :lol: .

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I chose the 220d only because i will be using it mainly for work purposes. The extra mpg that the diesel delivers over the is250 is what has weighted my decision. I have a Volvo 2.0 d at the moment and that gets around 40 mpg so the typical 20 mpg or so of the Is250 would make a bigger dent in my car allowance although i would have had the is250 without question if the fuel cost was not a factor. Although as I have read on these forums I should not expect 40+ mpg with the Is220d I still had to have one as nothing else comes close in this sector as a complete offering.

I must say the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch is one finger more on the is220d than that of the is250. The explanation that has been given in this post make sense I suppose but does little to equal the stance of the is250.

The extra mpg that the diesel delivers over the is250 is what has weighted my decision. I have a Volvo 2.0 d at the moment and that gets around 40 mpg so the typical 20 mpg or so of the Is250 would make a bigger dent in my car allowance although i would have had the is250 without question if the fuel cost was not a factor. Although as I have read on these forums I should not expect 40+ mpg with the Is220d I still had to have one as nothing else comes close in this sector as a complete offering.

I drive my 250 quite hard and even so have never had a return of 20 mpg, in fact on cruise control at a steady 75 mph on the motorway it's returned over 40 mpg. In reality the difference in consumption isn't worth it, the 250 is a much nicer drive.

...and will someone explain to me why the dimensions given on the official Lexus site regarding ride height are incorrect, if the 220D does indeed sit higher?

First of all, congrats on the new ride! The wait is evil but the price will be great.

I don't think the diesel rides any higher than the petrol. There is also very little difference in the weight (about 15 kg), so that surely can't justify any changes to the springs.

And finally, to give my usual against-most-other-opinions point of view, the diesel should give you a lot better mileage than the petrol. 50+ MPG isn't impossible and my personal worst is 42. That is with a Sport, mind you!

First of all, congrats on the new ride! The wait is evil but the price will be great.

I don't think the diesel rides any higher than the petrol. There is also very little difference in the weight (about 15 kg), so that surely can't justify any changes to the springs.

And finally, to give my usual against-most-other-opinions point of view, the diesel should give you a lot better mileage than the petrol. 50+ MPG isn't impossible and my personal worst is 42. That is with a Sport, mind you!

One can only hope that I have made the right decision for me. As the saying goes I have made my bed and now I must lie in it. Knowing myself I would most likely be more heavy footed with the is250 to enjoy that lovely six cycl sound. Tne other issue is that I go into London a lot and with the new laws coming into effect in October the work in not going to like £25 per day that I go in.

Hey Guys

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I chose the 220d only because i will be using it mainly for work purposes. The extra mpg that the diesel delivers over the is250 is what has weighted my decision. I have a Volvo 2.0 d at the moment and that gets around 40 mpg so the typical 20 mpg or so of the Is250 would make a bigger dent in my car allowance although i would have had the is250 without question if the fuel cost was not a factor. Although as I have read on these forums I should not expect 40+ mpg with the Is220d I still had to have one as nothing else comes close in this sector as a complete offering.

I must say the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch is one finger more on the is220d than that of the is250. The explanation that has been given in this post make sense I suppose but does little to equal the stance of the is250.

The 220d feels alot faster in normal day to day driving aswell. I've had a few 250's as courtesy cars and they always feel slightly gutless after getting used to the torque of the diesel. This is an undetstated quality of the 220d, plus I've avergaed 42mpg over 23000 miles in the 220d Sport.

Hey Guys

The 220d feels alot faster in normal day to day driving aswell. I've had a few 250's as courtesy cars and they always feel slightly gutless after getting used to the torque of the diesel. This is an undetstated quality of the 220d, plus I've avergaed 42mpg over 23000 miles in the 220d Sport.

Thanks for you inut Roonaldo. This forum really can mix up your emotions. As I have said before the IS250 would always be my first choice but that fact that it could add £2000 a year to my fuel bill is something that i cant get my head or my wallet around.

More importantly thouugh i am amazed by your mpg figures. In this thread two members both with IS220d sports's have managed to maintain an avg mpg off 40+. We all know that the sport is at a disadvantage to the standard IS220d in the mpg department. Can you give me and other interested forum members a basic idea of how you drive from day to day to achieve and maintain this elusive mpg figure. Thanks :crybaby:

P.s Do you have any input on the question of ride height bewteen the IS220d and the IS250, having drivin both?????

Hey Guys

Thanks for you inut Roonaldo. This forum really can mix up your emotions. As I have said before the IS250 would always be my first choice but that fact that it could add £2000 a year to my fuel bill is something that i cant get my head or my wallet around.

More importantly thouugh i am amazed by your mpg figures. In this thread two members both with IS220d sports's have managed to maintain an avg mpg off 40+. We all know that the sport is at a disadvantage to the standard IS220d in the mpg department. Can you give me and other interested forum members a basic idea of how you drive from day to day to achieve and maintain this elusive mpg figure. Thanks :crybaby:

P.s Do you have any input on the question of ride height bewteen the IS220d and the IS250, having drivin both?????

Don't be amazed by the mpg figures. They are easily achievable. I drive normally, generally changing gear at around 2000rpm day to day. Use cruise control on motorways. I don't do anything special. Even if I cane it, I can't get it under 36-37mpg for a tank.

never noticed the ride height difference TBH

I probably would have gone for the diesel in terms of MPG, but it didn't come in an auto! No idea why, but that put the final nail in the coffin!

I mean the auto box is excellent! Maybe I'm getting old? But I just couldn't do without an auto now especially one as great as the Lexus one.

Also find the petrol version alot quieter! The lexus diesel I found quite nosiy too, compared to the Merc (auto) diesel that I had before. Also fancied a change from a diesel this time, so much smoother with the petrol engine. Just my tuppence worth....

ps: Never noticed the ride height difference before, but another reason to go with the 250!

Tne other issue is that I go into London a lot and with the new laws coming into effect in October the work in not going to like £25 per day that I go in.

Only if you drive an IS250 manual - the auto version puts out less CO2 and only costs £8 a day. :)

NBLG - that will be true for a couple of years - then I'm sur they will move the posts again, along with the LEZ Green zones etc which will trap anything over 150g of Carbon before the next 5-10 years are out....it will nver get better, and other ciries are already planning this sort of stuff. They really will price us off the roads unless we use bikes. It's the only way!

My tip - stay out of London. in fact move to Scotland!

I thought the kerb weight was very similar, as the 220d is an all aluminium engine (not cast iron)? So where is the greater weight? I haven't checked this, just stating from memory...which is getting worse as the years pile on....but I thought both cars mor or less the same...

I can't say I've noticed any difference in height at all...

That's because there isn't any...check out the dimensional specs on the Lexus GB site for both the 220D and the 250...they're both the same roof height and ground clearance.

That's because there isn't any...check out the dimensional specs on the Lexus GB site for both the 220D and the 250...they're both the same roof height and ground clearance.

maybe the tyres were worn on the ones that seem to have huge gaps between arch and wheel

maybe the tyres were worn on the ones that seem to have huge gaps between arch and wheel

...or maybe there's yet another problem with the diesel...wish Lexus hadn't made it, bet they do too :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links