Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thou Shalt Not Slate The Is220d... This I Do Swear

post-23063-1207174967.jpg

Well I now have owned my IS220d SE-L MM S/r for just under two weeks. I must say I am over the moon with it in every respect. I have as off this evening clocked up just over a thousand miles thus far. It was todays trip that made me write this post.

For months now I have like many others taken on board what others have said about the IS220d. I must say that the MPG figures that most people where quoting concerned me bought never changed my decision to buy the car.

Today I had a business trip which took me to Cardiff for a couple of calls. I thought I would use this chance to see what all the fuss was about regarding MPG figures quoted on this site. Most people have stated that a simple change in driving habits should yield good results.

What I did what simply stick to the speed limits which was a big adjustment for me. I drove at a steady 74 mph from Sunbury all the way to Cardiff mostly using the cruise control and relaxed and enjoyed some music on my MM. Once in Cardiff I had four companies to see in and around the CBD. I did the same on the way back but was caught in 20min off standing traffic on the M4 just before the M25. I soon got home.

What I say next is just my two pence worth on the MPG issue. I did not buy this car with the intention to suck every MPG out off the fuel that i put in it nor did I buy it to race around England either. Today however all I did was obay the law and take a more relaxed drive and actully felt better for it at the end off the day.

I have attached a photo I took with my Phone just before I got off the M25 5 miles from my house. I took this picture to show all the people who knock the IS220D what can be done if one is willing to drive within the speed limits and resist the tempataion to floor it all the time. Please take note off the fuel level, rev counter, speed and the TANK MPG AVERAGE figure for my trip. I was AMAZED and very pleased.

:D :D :D

Well I now have owned my IS220d SE-L MM S/r for just under two weeks. I must say I am over the moon with it in every respect. I have as off this evening clocked up just over a thousand miles thus far. It was todays trip that made me write this post.

For months now I have like many others taken on board what others have said about the IS220d. I must say that the MPG figures that most people where quoting concerned me bought never changed my decision to buy the car.

Today I had a business trip which took me to Cardiff for a couple of calls. I thought I would use this chance to see what all the fuss was about regarding MPG figures quoted on this site. Most people have stated that a simple change in driving habits should yield good results.

What I did what simply stick to the speed limits which was a big adjustment for me. I drove at a steady 74 mph from Sunbury all the way to Cardiff mostly using the cruise control and relaxed and enjoyed some music on my MM. Once in Cardiff I had four companies to see in and around the CBD. I did the same on the way back but was caught in 20min off standing traffic on the M4 just before the M25. I soon got home.

What I say next is just my two pence worth on the MPG issue. I did not buy this car with the intention to suck every MPG out off the fuel that i put in it nor did I buy it to race around England either. Today however all I did was obay the law and take a more relaxed drive and actully felt better for it at the end off the day.

I have attached a photo I took with my Phone just before I got off the M25 5 miles from my house. I took this picture to show all the people who knock the IS220D what can be done if one is willing to drive within the speed limits and resist the tempataion to floor it all the time. Please take note off the fuel level, rev counter, speed and the TANK MPG AVERAGE figure for my trip. I was AMAZED and very pleased.

I guess from the photo you do not have a problem in 6th gear at 70 mph and above. I have found that 6th can be used providing the road is reasonably free from inclines. Your mpg has set a new challenge for me, are you using bog standard diesel. Merv

I've done that experiment too. I managed 41mpg. My se-l has done 24k (I got it at 20k) Many people on here have experienced a drop in mpg as the car gets older. Be interesting to see if you maintain high 40's.

All comes back to the point that you don't need to drive like that in the alternatives to get the same indicated mpg figures tho.

Hope there's no coppers reading your post!!! :lol:

well done,now you just need the dps4 isn't that right nate73.

I guess from the photo you do not have a problem in 6th gear at 70 mph and above. I have found that 6th can be used providing the road is reasonably free from inclines. Your mpg has set a new challenge for me, are you using bog standard diesel. Merv

I will admit that 70 is not the ideal spped for 6th gear but on the way back I travelled at 74mph which felt better and got me the 49.5 mpg figure compared to the 48.4 on the way down. So it would seem that 1700-1800 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for me. The fuel I use is of the standard Shell variety. I may look at an additive at some stage just to see what it does on the same trop again.

Some of you may me recall my post 2 years ago, where I posted something identical....photo's and all (though the car was stationary and in a layby when I took them).

gti1 - I am genuinely happy for you...I always drive like you have on this occasion - always within the speed limit and in those conditions - and I get 10mpg less... :crybaby:

AND I just refuse to put anything like DPS4 in. The net has some forums on there where people have mixed views on it. Knowing my luck it'll sieze the injectors...

It's never been about squeazing every MPG out. It's about having a car that does not need a shed load of warranty visits to keep it running the way it should be with loads of ECU tweaks, new pipes and all... I think people have missed the point...

Let's not cover old ground. My Blood pressure will go up... :unsure: over and out

well done,now you just need the dps4 isn't that right nate73.

Works for me!!!

All comes back to the point that you don't need to drive like that in the alternatives to get the same indicated mpg figures tho.

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

how was the ski trip,also you were going to give us your return journey mpg figures.

however all I did was obay the law and take a more relaxed drive and actully felt better for it at the end off the day.

I have attached a photo I took with my Phone just before I got off the M25 5 miles from my house.

"mmm a clever hands free kit you have with your lex " :winky:

I must admit with rising fuel costs I was looking at diesels but then decided to do an experiment on my everyday commute. I reset my average fuel and set off through Newcastle, down the A19, into Hartlepool and back, driving pretty normally, but setting the cruise control to 75mph on the dual carriageway. When I got home the reading was 38.2mpg average.

The next day I did the same route with our Audi A3 170bhp diesel and returned 42mpg. Score one for the diesel I thought. Then I did the maths:

Petrol @ 1.04p per liter equates to a cost per mile in the Lexus of 12.4p.

Diesel @ 1.14p per litre equates to a cost per mile in the Audi of 12.4p

And the Lexus is a far more relaxing drive with the auto transmission.

I read recently that there is pressure on the shipping companies to switch from marine fuel to diesel fuel for environmental reasons which will increase the pressure on refineries already struggling to meet demand for diesel. It was stated that diesel could end up costing 50% more. For me to swop to diesel does not make financial sense at the moment.

You're absolutely right mate, the difference in mpg between diesels and petrols is getting much closer now due to all the direct injection technology, so the *p price difference between petrol and diesel more than balances it out.

Plus it doesn't sound like you're driving a truck, and you're not contributing to respiratory diseases and other nasty stuff, so all in all you're doing your bit for the environment :whistling:

I must admit with rising fuel costs I was looking at diesels but then decided to do an experiment on my everyday commute. I reset my average fuel and set off through Newcastle, down the A19, into Hartlepool and back, driving pretty normally, but setting the cruise control to 75mph on the dual carriageway. When I got home the reading was 38.2mpg average.

The next day I did the same route with our Audi A3 170bhp diesel and returned 42mpg. Score one for the diesel I thought. Then I did the maths:

Petrol @ 1.04p per liter equates to a cost per mile in the Lexus of 12.4p.

Diesel @ 1.14p per litre equates to a cost per mile in the Audi of 12.4p

And the Lexus is a far more relaxing drive with the auto transmission.

I read recently that there is pressure on the shipping companies to switch from marine fuel to diesel fuel for environmental reasons which will increase the pressure on refineries already struggling to meet demand for diesel. It was stated that diesel could end up costing 50% more. For me to swop to diesel does not make financial sense at the moment.

it must be an urban myth that audi's do 50mpg no matter how you drive them.for me its a different result,most posts that i have seen on here are saying 28 combined for the250 whilst my 220 is 40 combined.i do 18k a yearand i know that in my situation i would be £800 worse off per year with a petrol.if the numbers worked for me i would have petrol.

it must be an urban myth that audi's do 50mpg no matter how you drive them.for me its a different result,most posts that i have seen on here are saying 28 combined for the250 whilst my 220 is 40 combined.i do 18k a yearand i know that in my situation i would be £800 worse off per year with a petrol.if the numbers worked for me i would have petrol.

No, you're absoutely right, in everyday use around town and such I get 29.6mpg and our Audi gets 38mpg (I have been told that it will get better as it loosens up towards 10k so I would expect this to creep up to 43ish mpg. This gives a figure of 16p per mile for the petrol and 12p per mile for the diesel - as you say £800 a year better off over 20k miles. But I have to look at the cost to change and looking at it rationaly, with a bit of care in my driving style, I can still drive the car I want (petrol auto) with only a modest financial penalty. I think any savings to be made for me would be lost in the trade in price and new price difference.

I know people say their Audis do 50mpg but the best VW/Audi car I had for mileage had the 1.9Tdi 115bhp engine and it averaged at 48 mpg mostly motorway so I would doubt a 140 or 170 bhp would better that.

I know people say their Audis do 50mpg but the best VW/Audi car I had for mileage had the 1.9Tdi 115bhp engine and it averaged at 48 mpg mostly motorway so I would doubt a 140 or 170 bhp would better that.

You're going to start you know who off in a minute... :crybaby:

Shhh - you're right. Keep your head down, say nothing and let's hope this drops off the front page asap. :whistling:

Well my petrol is returning 34.4 mpg at the moment, what have I done to achieve this little bit extra? Turned off the auto lights, don't drive up the backside of the car in front so I get the opportunity to foot off the accelerator before foot on the brake. Also another 1 to mpg can be achieved, when weather permits, by turning off climate when required temperature is reached.

Well my petrol is returning 34.4 mpg at the moment, what have I done to achieve this little bit extra? Turned off the auto lights, don't drive up the backside of the car in front so I get the opportunity to foot off the accelerator before foot on the brake. Also another 1 to mpg can be achieved, when weather permits, by turning off climate when required temperature is reached.

I got up to 48mpg avg on the way back to Peterborough from Thetford this afternoon. No a/c, only one (necessary) heavy use of right foot, but it went down to, and stayed at, 44.2 after the Thorney bypass. It might have been more without the queue at the roadworks in Thetford Forest. That makes up for my hooligan-like behaviour coming back from Dewsbury on Wednesday. Does anyone here have a metallic red 56 registered IS250 and was on the A1 southbound around Newark in close proximity to a Golf TDi that afternoon??

Shhh - you're right. Keep your head down, say nothing and let's hope this drops off the front page asap. :whistling:

LOL .... Ah you guys crack me up :hehe::hehe:

-How would turning the auto lights off help in mpg?

as my lights are allways on "auto".

I don't think so.

how was the ski trip,also you were going to give us your return journey mpg figures.

I am returning tommorrow.

The weather was bad, but the resort is great.

I don't think so.

Is this your first car Matus?????

no

-How would turning the auto lights off help in mpg?

as my lights are allways on "auto".

Because they don't go on when they don't need to be ;) Autolioghts sensitivity is not what it should be, on my IS200 I had the setting changed by the dealership so they turned off at a more reasonable light level, only problem was it was a dealer setting and everytime the Battery was disconnected when it went in the workshop / paintshop it got set back to factory setting, so I gave up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links