Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Or Bmw3 Series Compact?

Sorry to but in on your owners forum, but I hope to become one very soon. I am looking for a used car but the question I would like to ask is why I should go for the Is300 over the BMW (swear word) 325 sport?

I would like a hatch back for the odd trip to the B&Q diy store. Or are the IS300 roof racks strong and sturdy (he types hoping) :huh:

I REALLY want a lexus but the compact seem a better option for me and my tool box. I know has IS300 has a ski hatch but I dont go skiing?

I would also like parking sensors for the girlfriend, which I can add but I am very sad lexus don't do stereo's with stalk/steering wheel controls. This get used VERY heavily in my current car.

Any replies welcome.

Many thanks in advance

A friend of mine has a 325 compact, with satnav and many other shiny toys.

My (completely impartial) observations :)

- The BMW is markedly smaller, esp. the back seat

- The boot is smaller, but the flexibility of the hatch is way better than the IS. The ski-hatch is usable, but if you want big practicality, buy the sportcross.

- The BMW satnav system isn't a patch on the Lexus one. Except that you can change options on the move.

- You do have an option of a TV on the compact. (Although it only works when stationary)

- BMW have copied the tail lights of the IS... so they're the same on both :P

- The 325 manual is faster than the IS300 auto, but not by much.

- The heated seats on the 325 are way better (they have thermostatic control)

- The IS has loads more standard toys

- The IS has a slightly less claustrophobic interior

- They both have about the same carpark kudos (at worst, it's Alan Partridge vs the "not quite a BMW" image)

- The jury is out on the looks of the compact

Sounds like an IS300 sportcross is just the thing ;)

Thanks for the reply but.........

A SportsCross........... :yahoo: :(

I want a looker like the saloon 'IS' not a hybrid 'IS' :alien:

On that suggestion then maybe a 5 series estate should be my motor (no offense)

Please tempt me further towards a 300. I do like the TAG HAUER type dials though.

Ahhhhhhh but the missus can't do big cars.

She think bumpers are meant for parking...........literally when parallel parking, bumping the car behind and then the one in front seems to be the done thing.

I currently drive a renault laguna privelege, which I have only let her drive 3 times due to this fact. ( but the visabilty is very poor). The car is the same size as most estates but I am too scared she would damage it. So I would like a smaller car

No offense meant to other lady drivers intende. Just to MY g/f

surely the sportcross is easier to park.. you can judge the bumper by the rear window

best thing is to test drive one and see for yourself...

I prefer the sportcross over the saloon....

end of the day Lexus is more exclusive.. to many BM's on the road. You will raise more eyebrows with a Lexus... trust me on this one.

plus you get a great club to visit on a daily basis! Friendly and helpfull. :)

no way on the 3 series compact, its just a flash VW Golf :P

If you want a BMW, consider the saloon or even the 3 series estate if you need the practicality but not the compact. It looks awful, proportions are all wrong, especially that high vauxhall astra rear end

i'd definitely go with the IS though, much, much more standard kit

no steering wheel stereo controls, but the steering mounted gear shift should make up for it, don't really need the stereo controls because there are big chunky buttons which are easy to find without looking

also, definitely get parking sensors, they are a *** send

don't get me started on women drivers too, the other day i was parked on the side of the road waiting for someone when this woman in a focus was trying to park behind me and just drove straight into the back of me :angry: Then when i got out she asked ME what the problem was!

Thanks for all the reply's Guys.

I am having my internet broadband fitted today, so I will do a LOT of searching about the IS 300 as soon as it is live.

I have been down to my local Lexus dealer and he has a used IS300 in red.

What are your favourite colours :question:

I could always buy a Fiat Stilo Arbarth 2.4 if I wanted to turn heads :yahoo: What do you think? :D

Go for a Sportcross, or be like a sheep bying a Beemer…

(refering to the add seen on the board)

Honestly talking a 325, is kinda like a comon car, you'll see a lot every day, with the same people driving it, at least down there passing the channel, you'll not be able to see a lexus as often, and even more a Sport X.

Go to a Lexus center and have a try to the Sportcross, choose a twisty road and test it, do the same with a BMW and you'll see the diff. Test it in auto, in E shift, and in E shift with power buton on.

Last december I made a test on the highway turning to France form Barcelona against a 330, I didn't notice the 15 horse power difference on the 330, the SportX do the right thing :)

I prefer the Lex chassis, more confortable and efficient then the beemer, if you can chase one with electric roof & DVD GPS.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, we're just a few havinf the Sport X around here.

@d'taleur

Does having the "ECT PWR" button ON in E-Shift mode make any difference? I thought it only worked when you're driving in fully automatic "D" mode, by making the auto box change up at higher revs? If you're using E-Shift then you're controlling when the engine changes up aren't you? Eeeek... I'd hate to think I was missing out on anything :P

Definately.

I drive mine in e-shift mode most of the time, and put ECT PWR on when I'm feeling "aggressive" :)

ECT PWR changes the shift pattern of the gearbox. E-Shift lets you override the current gear selection - they basically do different things. If you've used E-Shift to lock the gearbox selection in 4th and below, the gearbox will hold onto the ratios for longer.

I often find that if you drop into 4 or 3 for a hard overtake, and have ECT PWR on, the gearbox will drop another gear for a few rpm too.

It's a fantastic car to drive with ECT PWR on. Now that the weather is warming up for those early morning runs (less risk of rear wheel slide) , and the car is run in a bit better, I'm having great fun pushing mine harder along all the lovely A43 roundabouts en-route to the M40.

If it is your money,

buy a BMW - they retain far far more in retained retail value second hand, will be desirable long after the compared to Lexus model is history. Sheep, maybe, but you are buying into Munich legends, not Jap wana-bees.

Truth always hurts.

By all means argue away, but look at the second hand trade prices for comparrison. By a 6 cylinder BMw and you are buying one of the most highly regarded sweetest motors in the world. period.

M5 owner + IS200 user (work )

buy a BMW - they retain far far more in retained retail value second hand, will be desirable long after the compared to Lexus model is history. Sheep, maybe, but you are buying into Munich legends, not Jap wana-bees.

Ok the figures -

BMW 320i SE cost new £22,880, retained value after 3yrs (36K miles) of 57%, cost per mile 59.8 pence.

Lexus IS 200SE cost new £20,230, retained value after 3yrs (36K miles) of 59%, cost per mile 56.1 pence.

[source : What Car? March 2003]

...and that is before you shell out £895 for a sunroof, £1,055 for electric seats, £250 for a CD player and £1,200 for leather on the BMW. Heck, they'll even rush you £75 for a centre rear seat belt! And as we all know, you never get your money back on the extras. Do the maths...

Jap wana-be? I think you'll find the number of Lexus IS drivers who wanna-be a BMW driver is somewhere between zero and a very low number.

Truth always hurts.

Well I ain't feelin any pain... :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links