Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Final Checks Before Joining The Club!

I'm about to shell out on an IS200 54 plate that i've already placed a deposit on, can anyone confirm:

a ) this is the car - http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/122447/stocklist.htm. Third in the list at the moment, the silver one. Does anyone recognise it and have any info? I've been told it's a company car so might not be owned by anyone on here.

b ) I checked the boot, alloy wheel and tyre is in there, as is the toolkit tray. Might have been the odd tool missing but not too worried about that. I'm new to Lexus, what else should I get? Manual? Two keys? Anything else important?

c) right down in the boot floor under all the trays and the spare wheel, there is mastic visible on some of the metal seams. I've seen this on other cars - you get this on the Lexus too right?

I'm about to shell out on an IS200 54 plate that i've already placed a deposit on, can anyone confirm:

a) this is the car - http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/122447/stocklist.htm. Third in the list at the moment, the silver one. Does anyone recognise it and have any info? I've been told it's a company car so might not be owned by anyone on here.

B) I checked the boot, alloy wheel any tyre is in there, as is the toolkit tray. Might have been the odd tool missing but not too worried about that. I'm new to Lexus, what else should I get? Manual? Two keys? Anything else important?

Welcome to LOC (cool username btw)

You should get three keys (two masters with 3 buttons and one valet with 2 buttons) - but as long as you have one master it's pretty easy to get a blank from eBay then get it cut at a locksmiths and then reprogram it using instructions on this site but if you have one master and then lose it - you're in big trouble.

Other than that you should get the manual and the service log book (stamped). Beyond that nothing.

Bear in mind that company cars are not usually treated with the same respect as self-owned pride and joy's so check the bodywork very carefully for signs of damage or repairs (overspray or colours not quite matching on panels.)

hth

a) this is the car - http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/122447/stocklist.htm. Third in the list at the moment, the silver one. Does anyone recognise it and have any info? I've been told it's a company car so might not be owned by anyone on here.

B) I checked the boot, alloy wheel any tyre is in there, as is the toolkit tray. Might have been the odd tool missing but not too worried about that. I'm new to Lexus, what else should I get? Manual? Two keys? Anything else important?

3 keys......... 2 black 1 grey :)

Welcome to LOC (cool username btw)

You should get three keys (two masters with 3 buttons and one valet with 2 buttons) - but as long as you have one master it's pretty easy to get a blank from ebay then get it cut at a locksmiths and then reprogram it using instructions on this site but if you have one master and then lose it - you're in big trouble.

Other than that you should get the manual and the service log book (stamped). Beyond that nothing.

Bear in mind that company cars are not usually treated with the same respect as self-owned pride and joy's so check the bodywork very carefully for signs of damage or repairs (overspray or colours not quite matching on panels.)

hth

Thanks dude :)

I'll check the keys now I know what to expect.

You're right about company cars, this car in particular does not have immaculate paintwork. What I need to make sure of is that the two signs of paint repair I can see - one small area on the rear wing and one on the back bumper, are not part of one big repair job on the whole rear end!!! To be fair it all looked fine under the boot carpet so I think it's just smallish things that have been done over time...

Looking forward to getting it and joining the forum properly :)

c) When two pieces of metal are welded together Toyota/Lexus also seal with the mastic you can see. This is to prevent rust. Japanese vehicles had real problems with rust in the 70's and 80's but this has been completely solved and they probably go over the top now. I've never heard of major rust problems on these forums.

However do a rust search on a Mercedes forum and that's a whole different story.

c) When two pieces of metal are welded together Toyota/Lexus also seal with the mastic you can see. This is to prevent rust. Japanese vehicles had real problems with rust in the 70's and 80's but this has been completely solved and they probably go over the top now. I've never heard of major rust problems on these forums.

However do a rust search on a Mercedes forum and that's a whole different story.

Cheers, good to know it's normal :)

I have a '98 Celica and the doors are rusting away from the bottom up. I was very unimpressed, from an 8 year old Toyota (a couple of years ago it started.) Common fault apparently though!

Quick update:

There is only one key but it's a black one so should be ok from the advice on this forum.

I was a bit bothered this morning and nearly changed my mind because I still hadn't seen the history and have a few concerns about some (quite professionally done) minor paintwork repairs I managed to spot. They are almost invisible though to be fair.

Anyway, I've now seen the history of the car and confirmed it with the company that owned it. All checks out fine, it was the MD's car in fact. The service history is all spot on too, full Lexus.

The dealer has agreed to let me reinspect the car with a friend of mine who works in a paintshop, he'll be able to tell me if anything looks wrong, or can be improved on.

So after nearly changing my mind today I think I'm going for it now!!!

Woohoo :)

Rock and roll!!!!!

Deal done on car, finance all sorted too now. Just got to get the money to the dealer and she's mine!

As a precaution I went back tonight for another look with a friend of mine who works in a paint shop to check for any accident damage, he's checked it all out and it's fine so I signed up and it's all final.

It's going to be sad to let my current motor go but it's time for a change and I'm really looking forward to the Lexus.

Thanks for the welcomes too folks, will be seeing you around now :)

Rock and roll!!!!!

Deal done on car, finance all sorted too now. Just got to get the money to the dealer and she's mine!

As a precaution I went back tonight for another look with a friend of mine who works in a paint shop to check for any accident damage, he's checked it all out and it's fine so I signed up and it's all final.

It's going to be sad to let my current motor go but it's time for a change and I'm really looking forward to the Lexus.

Thanks for the welcomes too folks, will be seeing you around now :)

Congrats on your purchase :D When are you picking the car up?

Thanks. It's going to be next week because loan company cocked up and didn't do the next day transfer I wanted so I have to wait now!

When does your lovely Aero-kitted 18" wheeled motor arrive :)

It took me a while to get used to the style of car that I've now bought, I always thought I preferred the original-style wheels, but I've managed to convince myself I like it now.

Thanks. It's going to be next week because loan company cocked up and didn't do the next day transfer I wanted so I have to wait now!

When does your lovely Aero-kitted 18" wheeled motor arrive :)

It took me a while to get used to the style of car that I've now bought, I always thought I preferred the original-style wheels, but I've managed to convince myself I like it now.

I'm picking it up on Friday, been waiting 2 weeks for it! Travelling down from inverness to manchester on friday :D Can't wait!

I pick her up about 12.30pm tomorrow, can't wait. It's really weird that it's round the corner from my office. My missus is giving me a lift in, then at lunch I can just leave the office and it's 10 minutes walk away. Then I get to drive back. Somehow I doubt I'll be going straight back to the office :)

Well I picked her up, had a quick blast in the rain on flooded roads, then had to go back to the office. Car feels excellent to drive, it's so well sorted :D

Maybe felt a little bit floaty on the motorway but I'm used to a hard riding MG so will get used to it before I decide whether the geometry needs checking. Apart from that it's stunning, ride quality and handling seem perfect, engine is a peach, I know it's not the most powerful but the smooth power delivery is amazing. I was flying on the motorway without even realising it.

This afternoon is really going to drag, waiting for the drive home :)

I'm seriously chuffed :)

Been out half the night taking mine and my wife's parents out in it, they are all impressed. Father in law said he liked it and was jealous, and he drives an E-class Merc!

I also find I can put my foot down a bit without scaring people silly because it's so smooth and refined.

With four people in the car I thought I heard a clonk from the front on turns. Hmm, ball joint needing replacement? Will keep listening out for that one.

Oh yes - even though I was out 1/2 the night I took the keys and went out again at 10pm for a quick drive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links