Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looks Like A New Lexus Is On Its Way.....

swfcdan

Lexus will launch a small Prius-based hybrid hatch at next January’s Detroit motorshow, Autocar has learnt from sources in Japan.

The new model is known internally as SAI but will be renamed before it goes on sale and will be based on the next generation Prius, also being shown for the first time in Detroit. The Lexus though will be a plusher, more comfort orientated model with unique and sleeker styling.

According to company sources it will bear some similarities to Toyota’s Concept X shown at the Geneva motor show last March. Most commentators wrongly believed this heralded the design of the next Prius but our sources indicated that it was really designed to showcase themes for the junior Lexus hybrid.

The SAI is likely to get a more powerful version of the Prius’ hybrid powertrain, which will be mated to either a 2.0 or 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine. At launch it will probably have a nickel-hydride Battery, but be upgraded to lithium-ion technology by the end of 2010.

Insiders have also admitted that the SAI was principally developed for the US market, however sources say that plans are now afoot to put it on sale over here as well. Lexus has been disappointed by the performance of the 3-series-rivalling IS saloon in Europe and now see the SAI as a good entry-level model for the global market, especially against a backdrop of high fuel costs.

We expect the high-end hybrid will arrive in US showrooms by summer 2009, with European sales starting by early 2010.

Link to article

Man, that's an ugly looking car...

Why are so many hybrids so hideous? One of the best things about the Lexus hybrids is that they look identical to the conventionally powered cars, so you can drive it and get cost benefits without having to look like a pompous holier-than-thou twunt shouting about his greenie credentials.

Lexus will launch a small Prius-based hybrid hatch at next January's Detroit motorshow, Autocar has learnt from sources in Japan.

The new model is known internally as SAI but will be renamed before it goes on sale and will be based on the next generation Prius, also being shown for the first time in Detroit. The Lexus though will be a plusher, more comfort orientated model with unique and sleeker styling.

According to company sources it will bear some similarities to Toyota's Concept X shown at the Geneva motor show last March. Most commentators wrongly believed this heralded the design of the next Prius but our sources indicated that it was really designed to showcase themes for the junior Lexus hybrid.

The SAI is likely to get a more powerful version of the Prius' hybrid powertrain, which will be mated to either a 2.0 or 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine. At launch it will probably have a nickel-hydride battery, but be upgraded to lithium-ion technology by the end of 2010.

Insiders have also admitted that the SAI was principally developed for the US market, however sources say that plans are now afoot to put it on sale over here as well. Lexus has been disappointed by the performance of the 3-series-rivalling IS saloon in Europe and now see the SAI as a good entry-level model for the global market, especially against a backdrop of high fuel costs.

We expect the high-end hybrid will arrive in US showrooms by summer 2009, with European sales starting by early 2010.

Link to article

:shutit: Please ,,,, GREEN CARS NO,NO. Just give us proper cars

This reminds me of a conversation I had with the salesman in my local dealership some months ago. I was trying to get him to confirm the rumours of a Lexus BS but he wasn't having any of it. He did say though that if Lexus did a hatchback, they'd have no trouble shifting them by the bucketload. Turns out that it's that bloody waste of time Golf which is the issue. The RX is the cheapest Lexus which can take a set of golf bats without taking the trolley off apparently.

That picture is not actually the Lexus, it's the concept for the next Prius (which people would have seen if they've been to the London Motor Show this year :whistling: )

I'm pretty sure the Lexus would not be that hideous and would probably have a design theme similar to the other models in the range which in my view would most likely be quite nice!

My only concern is please don't make it front wheel drive! :shutit:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links