Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just got the car and the CD changer loads and turns but comes up with error 21 instead of playing music.

The radio doesn't have any night time illumination which is a pain any idea what could cause this?

Theres a low brake warning light on the dash dispite the car having new brakes all round.

gotta go to work so thanks for any help given :)

Just got the car and the CD changer loads and turns but comes up with error 21 instead of playing music.

The radio doesn't have any night time illumination which is a pain any idea what could cause this?

Theres a low brake warning light on the dash dispite the car having new brakes all round.

hi john, my series 3 has had similar faults as well, heres my take on it. With the cd player make sure you put the discs in the changer face side down, play side up if that makes sense, also some changers see finicky with copies.

with the brake warning light check the fluid level is topped up properly (resevoir jjust below drivers w/blade) . Also the light doubles as a blown bulb indicator so check your stop and tail lights are functioning ok.

As for the night time illumination lines gone too , not a diy fix but some companies can fix this for you (sure someone will post details for you) also a member called chris vince has repaired these for people privatley, (i must get mine done for the winter lol.

hope thats of some help.

cheers steve.

hi john, my series 3 has had similar faults as well, heres my take on it. With the cd player make sure you put the discs in the changer face side down, play side up if that makes sense, also some changers see finicky with copies.

now i feel dopey.....there the other way up lmao. :blush:

thanks for all the tips floggit :)

I fixed the radio illumination in my 96 myself. If you can solder, just remove the radio/ climate control panel. Then split the radio box open and look for the bulb power regulators, which are transistors mounted on metal heat sinks. You will find that the soldering to these will be badly "dry jointed". Clean them up and resolder them to restore your bulb power. Paul

I fixed the radio illumination in my 96 myself. If you can solder, just remove the radio/ climate control panel. Then split the radio box open and look for the bulb power regulators, which are transistors mounted on metal heat sinks. You will find that the soldering to these will be badly "dry jointed". Clean them up and resolder them to restore your bulb power. Paul

how do i go about getting the radio/climate control panel out fo the dash?

many thanks

how do i go about getting the radio/climate control panel out fo the dash?

many thanks

Just pull the top face vents out, remove the connections to the clock and temp gauge ( plus hazard switch, i think). Then pull off the walnut centre part from around the gear shift. This will expose 4 bolts which hold the radio/ ac panel in. Remove the bolts and unplug all the connectors to the radio and climate control. Don't worry, its obvious where they all come from when you put it back in. The centre panel with the radio and C/C will come out as one unit, then you can remove the radio box from the whole lot and open it up. Paul

Sorry but that is a mk 11 not a mk 111. you need to know as a lot of bits are not the same and you don't want to order the wrong thing.

Doh! thanks, when did they start making the mk3? may/june '95? does this mean mines 240bhp not 280bhp?

thanks.

Sorry but that is a mk 11 not a mk 111. you need to know as a lot of bits are not the same and you don't want to order the wrong thing.

Doh! thanks, when did they start making the mk3? may/june '95? does this mean mines 240bhp not 280bhp?

thanks.

Ooops wrong button, i'll try again.

The mk 2 was introduced in Jan 1995, but obviously some mk 2 were in the sytem so registered after that date.. You have 240 bhp, the mk3 had 260 and the mk4 280.

If you go on to Lexus UK site and click on approved used vehicles you can get up the specs of the different models.

The mk 2 was introduced in Jan 1995, but obviously some mk 2 were in the sytem so registered after that date.. You have 240 bhp, the mk3 had 260 and the mk4 280.

If you go on to Lexus UK site and click on approved used vehicles you can get up the specs of the different models.

Passman; you mean the Mk THREE was introduced in 95.....John Lawley; send me your email address and I'll send copies of an article on the changes. You've STILL got a great car!

Passman; you mean the Mk THREE was introduced in 95.....John Lawley; send me your email address and I'll send copies of an article on the changes. You've STILL got a great car!

Ooooops again, yes you're right Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
ah thats what car i'm saving up for next then :-)

how often does the cambelts need changing?

Every 100,000 miles from the time the last one was changed.

I would change it anyway if I brought a new car to be sure. Would hate for the timings to slip because the previous owner had a heavy right foot.

having a heavy right foot shouldn't change the timing unless your talking about some mid-80's poxhall surely?

just found out it was changed 7,000 miles ago so don't think i need to worry, do you need to change any pulleys at the same time or just the first time the belts changed?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

just another quick question.......................Read bottom line and laugh at me if you wish :lol:

do i have a mk3 with a mk2 bumper? or do i have a mk2 with a mk3 interior?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS400#F...ion_.28UCF10.29

The interior also received a facelift and new features. Automatic dual-zone climate controls added convenience while the updated dashboard, center console and storage compartments, including rear cupholders, increased functionality.[43] To further enhance driving comfort, a patented seat cushion design, similar to the car's suspension, featured lightweight internal coil springs and stabilizer bars.[45] One of the first in-dash CD changers was offered as an option.[45] Safety enhancements included enlarged crumple zones, three-point seatbelts at all positions, and a new collapsible steering column.[45]

Looking on eBay i have the same interior as the later 1995 cars and the 1996-7 cars but i have the front bumper of the 1990-1994 cars.

also how much weight can the cars rear suspension take? -these bodies seem to weigh a lot :lol:

16092008298.jpg

Edit:- You know what? i feel like a complete tit......None of the eBay auction photos where in fact of my car they are all of a mk2 that doesn't have a chip missing from a trolley ding and something else removing the black slightly from the B-pillar....only looking at this photo and the previous ones on here have i realised.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links