Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My first post so Hello!

I have the option of an Is220D as a company car (I’ll be paying for my own fuel). Ive looked at the BMW 116i M sport and also the A3 1.6 Sline (yes I know they are both petrols). I was surprised that the Lexus fell within my budget so took a drive to my local dealer in Newcastle. The guy was very very helpful, even when I said it was a company car, he said he looks at the bigger picture, eg future lexus owner, servicing etc. Took about 30mins showing me round the car etc which is more than Audi did, (a quick open of the boot and a ‘sorry we have no sportbacks in to show you’ was the best I got).

The Lexus is really starting to grow on me but I have a few concerns.

For a diesel it has suprsingly high emissions and low economy, 44 combined. Is this figure realistic considering most people don’t drive like Miss daisy?

Also, the non splitting rear seat is an issue for possible trips to B&Q. does the rear seat back fold at all? Even in one piece?

Im starting to read lots about recalls and posts about reliability and shockingly, poor customer service. Non of which I had envisaged with hype of the Lexus brand in the media surveys etc.

Any thoughts?

hi,

firstly i would stay away from the deisel i have one and am getting 29/30 mpg after all the re-maps and recalls, i had a is 250 for a few weeks which averaged 28/29mpg and it was an auto. if i could choose again it would be the is 250 auto

also the rear seats dont fold at all.

The Newcastle dealership are pretty good - you would have no problem with them I'm sure.

I know 3 people with IS220ds as company cars and they are all very happy with them, including the fuel consumption. There are some people who post on here who are less happy. I don't know personally because I have a 250 auto. Performancewise the IS220d will blow both the petrol Audi and BMW into the weeds - both those 1.6 litre petrol engines are pretty weedy. I have heard that the 1.4 Turbo and supercharged engine is going into the A3 so that would be a better option IMO if you went for the Audi.

Unfortunately, the rear seat does not fold in any way, though there is a ski hatch load through in the centre.

Go for the 250 Auto, repeat Auto, in whatever guise, Basic, SE, SE-L etc. If your budget won't allow it go for another make altogether.

Reading comments posted on this forum over the past 12 months I would say that 90% of the complaints are about the diesel models.

I have the 220D Sport version, and it is very good. You get loads of toys, the engine is good and the car looks great. Main drawbacks are fuel consumption (on the Sport version combined MPG drops to 38), emissions (on the Sport version goes up to 195) and the gearbox which is not as comfortable as you would expect. The Sport version has a revised gear ratio, which eliminates a lot of the turbo lag in the engine, so imho it is better. The non-Sport versions are good as well, however I would go at least for the SE version with the Multimedia Pack. The gear ratios in the non-Sport versions are slightly akward, but you can easily get used to them.

There are no folding rear seats, and boot is small (380 litres I think).

If you buy a new 220D now you won't suffer from the recalls and 5th injector problems.

My advice would for you to test drive one for a day WITHOUT A SALESMAN and then decide...

As mentioned there are so many split views on here. I was one of the disgruntled ones and defected to BMW!!

If you like the IS, then as mentioned above go and get yourself the IS250 Auto - whatever trim/spec - it will be almost as economical as a 220d especially when you consider that Diesel is 8-12% dearer than Petrol - and to answer your secondary question - from my experience you do have to drive like Miss Daisy with no legs on the accelerator to get the 44mpg (that' a joke)! You can get mid 40's, but you have try harder than just drive like Miss Daisy! It is possible that the newer 57 plate onwards are fine, and assuming you get a new one from the lease contractor you might be OK.

Consider this...even if you do get 44mpg, it'll be about the same as a 3 litre diesel 5 series BMW Auto. Say no more.

If a saleman says it improves with miles, then it might for the later cars, but mine got worse! Ask him to prove it by allowing you to drive one that has done 20,000 miles...

Think carefully...and wisely!

From a space and practicality perspective, both the A3 and 1 series are likely to be better overall. The A3 and 1 series might not be as wide inside, but leg room wise they are very similar to an IS, then there is split fold seats etc...in an IS you can't have 'em! The boot in the IS is 370 odd litres, approx 90-100 litres less than an Audi A4 or BMW 3 series. Also consider that if practicality is important.

The IS is not very good from a Co2 perspective when you compare it to the competition...If it has to be an ISD however, wait for a few months and get the facelifted version (there's one on the way). That really ought to have all gremlins sorted out, though the Co2 only improves by 4 grams per KM. Otherwise get the IS250 Auto. If the practicality thing is OK, you won't regret it!

BTW - Hi and Welcome!

I have the IS220D and i am VERY HAPPY (not Many say that on Here)

I get and AVG Fuel combined of 41MPG so the On Board is saying

the usual Tank AVG is anything from 38-48 MPG Depending on Road use

Though i must admit it drives better on the Motorway than just short town hops, but it is still very smooth and quite

inside for a diesel

Also all the Toys with the MM system, and as i had a IS200 before (petrol Alcoholic)

I am happy with the Fuel Economy.

Best thing you can do is as others say take one out for a test drive (not just around the block) Really Test it long roads short

or try and take in the A1

and you decide as you will be driving it not us on this forum,

if you have the choice go for the MM system, Mine is the 220dSE MM with full leather seats.

Matt

I have a 220d and I am also very happy.

No the swiftest of motors or economical but for a diesel it is far more refined than my last car a Merc C220cdi. Getting around 41-42mpg at the moment with 80% high speed runs and 20% crawling in traffic so not to bad, got the same in the Merc, 44mpg in SAAB cabriolet and 47mpg in 130bhp Mondeo, but the Mondeo was taxi rough.

The 220d gets a lot of bad press on this site which is a shame and is probably due to the problems with the earlier models, mine is an 07 and has never missed a beat.

I have had my 08 plate 220d se-l for 6 months now. Avg of 40.1 thus far over 8000 miles covered. That is 60% highway driving and 40% very urban (London). Very Very ahppy so far. I had a noise from my drivers seat but was quickly sorted. See if you can put a few pounds to your budet each month and get the SE spec, well worth it.

So if you are getting new one I believe most of the problems are now ironed out and you should have a great time.

Andy

I have a 57 plate 220d SL which I bought from Newcastle almost a year ago, I am more than happy with it in fact I love it. In the main I am getting circa 43MPG and have had 50 on a run and that was only to Harrogate. Some people who have the earlier modles have had issues in using the fith gear below 80 mph I do not have that problem from 65 onwards providing the road is not a climb then you would have to drop down a cog. My advise would be to ask for a extended test drive and decide for yourself.

Merv

I have had the 220d as a company car for 3 years and am now switching to BMW. The poor fuel consumption, high emissions combined with gearing setup is the main reason for me switching. Otherwise its a great car though pretty cramped at the back so watch out if you regularly have adult passengers

I had my 220d in may, 57 plate ex demo with 1700 miles on it as a company car and i have to say its brilliant. I dont drive like Miss daisy and still return 46 mpg. In fact my wife and I have returned from 10 days in france, where it returned 47.8 as an average ,with a tank average of 52.4. Its comfortable on long journeys, had plenty of room for us both with all our gear. I would definatly recommend one as a company car.

My advice is look at everything out there before deciding on the IS and if you must go for one, make it the IS250 Auto.

I've had a 220d since Fenruary and I'm not impressed with it. Yes it has lots of goodies as standard and IS the best looking medium exec out there. But, the fuel consumption is not impressive and the lack of split fold rear seats is a real bone of contention for me. (I'm in the middle of building a major extension to the house and have to have everything, yes everything, delivered now.) With my activities on the track I've found the IS is too small to carry all my kit and spares so impacts heavily there. I've just done a weeks break down in Exmoor and averaged a measley 37 mpg driving far more conservative, (i.e sticking to speed limits and no heavy acceleration), than I ever did in my previous cars. The brake dust on the front wheels is a pain in the backside. You can literally wash it and drive down the road and have black alloys again in a couple of miles. The cabin is too small for four adults to travel any distance in comfort and my dealership leave a lot to be desired.

All the above means I will be leaving Lexus when the right opportunity arises and going back to Volvo.

Still very happy with mine. 50+ tank averages more and more common. Fits four adults with ease, trunk not that much smaller than, for example, Audi A4's. Quiet, very stylish and hasn't missed a beat. I really don't know what the problem with some 220d's is, but I can say for sure that there are good ones out there, too. Mine is 07 model with 34000 miles on the clock.

I've had my 220d SE MM for 18mths and am still very please with it.

Yes, there are a couple of gripes - the non-folding rear seat being the main one, but the wife has a Focus hatchback which we use for load carrying.

There are only the 2 of us so the rear seats remain practically unused, but yes, it can be a bit cramped in the back. But these are relatively minor issues and whichever car you go for, there will be compromises to be made.

I definitely don't drive like Miss Daisy and have a very heavy right foot but still get around 40mpg which I think is okay.

As others have said, go for the SE + MM option if you can, the "poverty" base model is not that nice inside.

welcome andy,go for a three day test drive in each car that you have an interest in,zero the trip on each model and check out the practical things that are important to you.but disregard the posters on this site that do not own a lexus as their opinion is totally irrelevant.

welcome andy,go for a three day test drive in each car that you have an interest in,zero the trip on each model and check out the practical things that are important to you.but disregard the posters on this site that do not own a lexus as their opinion is totally irrelevant.

thats a bit below the belt, why is the opinion irrelevant? i think we all no who you are commenting on?

why does that person no longer own a lexus and isnt this a public forum and not a fan club or have the rules changed.

thats a bit below the belt, why is the opinion irrelevant? i think we all no who you are commenting on?

why does that person no longer own a lexus and isnt this a public forum and not a fan club or have the rules changed.

i was not referring to former owners only those that have not owned a lexus.and you are right it's not a fan club but it is an owners club.

i was not referring to former owners only those that have not owned a lexus.and you are right it's not a fan club but it is an owners club.

Oh Dear! looks like I will be upsetting dgman again.

I'm not a Lexus owner but came on here for advice when I was thinking of getting one. I've driven both the diesel and the auto IS along with the competition. The one I much prefer is the 250 Auto and I would not buy the diesel. having said that I'm not a business user, I want an auto and it won't be a company car. I still hope to have one at some point as for me it ticks all the boxes compared to the opposition.

What I would say is there seem to be less people complaining about the diesels than used to, perhaps Lexus are finally getting all the early problems sorted, and great if the are.

Joining the forum has given me honest information on the cars I could not have got from anywhere else, there are a few long term contributers who are extremely helpfull. I sometimes look at other forums, some of the contributers are bitter and twisted and they can't hold a candle to the quality and honesty of debate discussed on here.

Dgman would probably like the rules changing to bar the likes of me and even though he says he was not referring to former owners he was glad to see the back of Jamboo/Scarlet Pimpernel.

totally agree with last post, i have been on the porsche and bmw owners clubs as im thinking of changing my is 220d as im one of the people who think the 220d isnt the best car lexus have ever made and would have been better sticking to what they do best.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy

I have just bought (27th Aug) an IS220d as a company car from the Newcastle branch for £18,995 and I ve no complaints so far.

I ve only done 300 miles and so far my return mpg is 36.5 urban (non motorway), will be doing a long run on Friday when should get into the 40's.

Ive also got an A4 2.0 TDI convertible and I prefer driving the Lexus, as it's a smoother driver and more comfortable. Although the Lexus does suffer from turbo lag.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links