Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all

For the past couple of months I've been sitting on the sidelines waiting for the facelifted IS to appear in the UK before taking the decision on whether to buy new or nearly new. From what I've seen, especially on the USA web sites, I don't think the cosmetic changes would be enough to convince me to pay the extra for a new car with the facelifted spec. However, I understand there are some improvements to the suspension and so I think I should wait to take a test drive to see if the changes make any noticeable difference to the ride quality, noise levels, etc.

I've spoken to a few dealers and most seem to think the facelift cars won't appear at UK dealers until January whereas a couple of months ago one dealer told me he expected to see them in October. I think maybe due to the slowdown in the market Lexus UK has found themselves with unexpected large numbers of the current model in stock which they'll obviously want to clear before releasing the facelifted version. Has anyone heard anything?

Also I've heard a rumour that the SE will be downgraded in specification (eg no leather) and a new SEI model variant will be added between this and the SEL. Has anyone heard anything on this?

Many thanks

Roger

Seems like a slightly pointless model if they do introduce it - I'd think it would be much more worthwhile to introduce a model that is an SE-L without the fancy bits (rear blind, etc)

Technically a Sport with leather seats would be my choice :)

The cars are so well spec'd that an SEL without the fancy bits would be an SE...they would be better off reducing the price and allowing you specify Sat Nav without rear camera, Bluetooth on it's own or with rear camera, just lumbar support, leather without cooling etc....

Lexus make cars efficiently because they don't appear to give much configurable choice...things come in "packs" and their suppliers make the same widgets over and again. The assembly lines run efficiently as there are less "variants" and suppliers are pushed to keep costs low....for example, leather seats all come heated/cooled - so the supplier only makes one type...and so on. I don't think Lexus could change that easily as the cost model would be hit hard and it would start to gt expensive to factory order bits olike BMW, MB and Audi...BUT you would have choice!

The cars are so well spec'd that an SEL without the fancy bits would be an SE...they would be better off reducing the price and allowing you specify Sat Nav without rear camera, Bluetooth on it's own or with rear camera, just lumbar support, leather without cooling etc....

Lexus make cars efficiently because they don't appear to give much configurable choice...things come in "packs" and their suppliers make the same widgets over and again. The assembly lines run efficiently as there are less "variants" and suppliers are pushed to keep costs low....for example, leather seats all come heated/cooled - so the supplier only makes one type...and so on. I don't think Lexus could change that easily as the cost model would be hit hard and it would start to gt expensive to factory order bits olike BMW, MB and Audi...BUT you would have choice!

Technically an SE with memory seats and HIDs would be all you really need............

The weird thing is that even Lexus cars are more customisable in every other part of the world compared to the UK, and they still cost less so I don't think that's the reason..........and to be honest I don't like luxury cars with bare bones spec so I'm pleased they do it this way, I just wish it made more sense. The spec of the GS for example makes a lot more sense.............the SE has everything you need, the SE-L adds bits that are nice but not necessary, and it's all more competitively priced..........

Technically an SE with memory seats and HIDs would be all you really need............

Fully agreed...and make sure it's the Auto Petrol SE!

There are only a few things you don't miss too much - they would be ripe for removing and making them an option at cost, but ultimately it's the bundlig which mean you end up spending a fortune...

EG - MLS/MM - it's great, but the standard 13 speaker system is actually better than what the compeition offers even on a premium upgrade...so just Nav and BT could be one option, then you could add rear camera for a few £00 and get it in for £2000 all in without the premium sound...but no - you can't! Though in the states I think you can!

Or just factory Adaptive lights. I hope they do add some logic with the facelift, though I bet they don't...

Even just Lumbar suppoprt on base cloth seats would be great!

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst out shopping at the Trafford Centre last weekend, I saw a Lexus demo stand. It had an IS250 SE/L with what must have been a facelift. The only real noticeable difference was the rear light clusters. They had a very distinctive curve line in them similar to the back quarter lights and the internal trim...you know the curve I am talking about.

Has anybody else seen these lights? Have tried to find an image on the web but can't find one.

was in my dealers at the weekend they had a sel which had the indicators in the wing mirrors is this standard or is this the new version?

That's the facelift version. Which must mean that they'll be slashing the prices of the pre-facelift cars that they still have even more!

was in my dealers at the weekend they had a sel which had the indicators in the wing mirrors is this standard or is this the new version?

That's the facelift version. Which must mean that they'll be slashing the prices of the pre-facelift cars that they still have even more!

You can get a bargain at the moment - SEL Auto with MM/Met for around £26.5k according to www.drivethedeal.co.uk, and a 220D SE with MM/Met for £23.2k!

These are brand new UK cars...so resale values of 2nd hand will be hit harder than you'd hope. Having said this it's like that everywhere now...

It's a good time to get a Gen2 IS if you want one...if dealer Pex prices are £10kish for mint cars, auction prices will be even lower this month -

Ad the situation will be worse for accident repairs too - your pride and joy could have a lightish knock and get written off as they normally only consider trade values...I know it's all relative, as any car you buy to relace it with will be cheaper...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links