Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Issues

Im getting used to this posting lark, got this forum in background all day at work n first thing i do when i get back i turn it on, my mate who sits next to me at work rips the :tsktsk: , everytime i have a new idea he shouts, "better run it past the guys at the forum ey" lol. oh well its good to be passionate about summat!

anyway my original reason for posting...

I saw on a recent post about declaring things to the insurance, what sort of things do you need to declare? I changed my wheels but they are the same size and original lexus wheels anyway so surely the insurance wouldnt know? how about things like HID's? or little things like the grom, painted calipers, sports grill?

i await your informative input! ;)

Im getting used to this posting lark, got this forum in background all day at work n first thing i do when i get back i turn it on, my mate who sits next to me at work rips the :tsktsk: , everytime i have a new idea he shouts, "better run it past the guys at the forum ey" lol. oh well its good to be passionate about summat!

anyway my original reason for posting...

I saw on a recent post about declaring things to the insurance, what sort of things do you need to declare? I changed my wheels but they are the same size and original lexus wheels anyway so surely the insurance wouldnt know? how about things like HID's? or little things like the grom, painted calipers, sports grill?

i await your informative input! ;)

Wheels ok, grill ok, calipers ok, not sure about HID's, whats a grom ?

Tell them about everything bar silly things like stickers etc. That way they can't use it as some sort of future get-out. A reasonable insurer won't be bothered about things like changing your wheels for similar (but different wheels), but you still really should tell them. I would declare your HIDs, yes.

I agree with Ollie.

You have to declare any modification - it's not just cost of replacement, it's also risk of theft. Any change that you think improves the car is likely to make a thief think the same, so it's only fair.

Just write them a letter telling them what you've done and what you propose doing. Better to face up now than later when you're making a claim.........

Ian

ps there is a letter on Honest John's page in the Daily Telegraph on this subject (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/3254162/Honest-John-towcars-key-cutting-and-insurance-premium-problems.html or www.telegraph.co.uk then search).

on aido's old lexus i never declared any of the mods, it was lowered on 18's full kit twin exhausts the lot, when it was totalled the insurance company didn't even bat an eyelid and i got 100% of what i payed for the car without question.

at the end of the on my lexus if i declare my £2500 wheels to insurance it bumps it a hell of a lot and if they get stolen they replace them with standard lexus wheels, they will not pay out for same wheels so its bull**** really, espiecialy when i have the orignal set in my garden too :P

I agree with Wozza. TomCooper, sorry, but that was really not sensible at all, and you were very very lucky to get a payout. Also not the best idea to admit to insurance fraud on a public Internet forum :nugget:

As I've previously said, it depends on the insurance company for mods. Some companies won't cover the mod itself (i.e. won't replace like with like), but some of them *will*.

You need to declare ANY aftermarket change to the vehicle. If you have a modified vehicle (even small things!) you need to pick your insurer very carefully, some insurers will not cover any modifications..

Ollie

Sky Insurance

This guy works in Car Insurance so I would be inclined to listen to his advice!

I have always understood it that technically you must declare EVERY single little detail of the vehicle that is not the exact spec it rolled out the factory with, de-badging, stickers and all! Otherwise they could, in theory, deny any claim. This is the theory. In reality, the odd induction kit here and window tint there may be allowable, but the COULD potentially pull you up on it, and nobody will really care about stickers!

Personally, I declare major power and performance mods only.

on aido's old lexus i never declared any of the mods, it was lowered on 18's full kit twin exhausts the lot, when it was totalled the insurance company didn't even bat an eyelid and i got 100% of what i payed for the car without question.

You done well son! Lucky there, I'd say.

You need to declare ANY aftermarket change to the vehicle. If you have a modified vehicle (even small things!) you need to pick your insurer very carefully, some insurers will not cover any modifications..

Ollie

Sky Insurance

This guy works in Car Insurance so I would be inclined to listen to his advice!

I have always understood it that technically you must declare EVERY single little detail of the vehicle that is not the exact spec it rolled out the factory with, de-badging, stickers and all! Otherwise they could, in theory, deny any claim. This is the theory. In reality, the odd induction kit here and window tint there may be allowable, but the COULD potentially pull you up on it, and nobody will really care about stickers!

Personally, I declare major power and performance mods only.

You done well son! Lucky there, I'd say.

Dont think i can do much more than ask them. Do you think i should have got them to put this in writing ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links