Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Or Alternator?

Hi all.

Had a quick lookthrough threads but most are talking about extra speakers etc., mine is the standard is200se. nothing upgraded due to 2 young nippers costing me a fortune.

anyhow, over the last week or so am having random problems with the car. when starting it is struggling to get going, the Battery indicator says it only has 8-9 volts, which quickly rises upto 12-13 when it turns over. However, it regularly needs jumping to start, especially if left over 12 hrs. it did happen last week outside a shop after being driven for 40 mins and left for only 30 mins outside.

When started all is fine, nothing is left on ie lights etc am just wondering whether this means a new Battery or it is the alternator which is knackered.

As you can tell, no ideas about cars but any help/advice is much appreciated.

cheers

kev

a multimeter is to only way to pin point whats going on...

it could be a loose or corroded connections, a bad Battery, suffering alternator or something drawing power like the boot light staying on constantly ...

a few minutes with a meter will tell loads

I agree sounds like Battery - especailly if the voltage increases when the car is started (indicating the alternator is working fine).

Halfrauds actually do a good Battery for the IS200 with a 5 year warranty. I had one in my IS200 and couldn't fault it. HCB???? rings a bell

Similar thing happened to me couple of months ago. I replaced the Battery and all fine now.

first i bought a halford calcium Battery (£96) but it was too large. bonnet lid touched top of the Battery and terminals when closed. :excl:

the original Battery cover was too small to fit on too. so I returned it and got a lexus genuine Battery from the dealer(£67 inc vat.)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay replying fellas, unfortunately had to spend the last ten days on a beach in tenerife B)

Anyhow, as expected Battery dead on trying car, but starts straight away when jump leads are on.

Missus took today and went flat in Manchester. RAC called says it is the original Battery ( car is 2001 x reg ) and that the Battery is knackered. So now looking to buy a new Battery.

Is it worth a good look round to get a good but cheap Battery or should I just go to lexus dealers or Halfords

Cheers for all erplying to other question

Kev

Cheers for all the advice.

Managed to get a Bosch Silver for £70 all in from a car parts place locally. About to replace now so hopefully all sorted.

Cheers

Kev

You would have been better off going to Lexus. I replaced my Battery two weeks ago. It cost me £60.01 from Lexus Canterbury (Motorline Toyota) and that was fitted; they also obviously dispose of the old Battery too.

Dave.

Cheers for all the advice.

Managed to get a Bosch Silver for £70 all in from a car parts place locally. About to replace now so hopefully all sorted.

Cheers

Kev

Hi Kev,

Has the new Battery sorted it out? I've been having the exact same problem as you. I charged my Battery overnight last night and the car started (just!). Now it won't start again :angry:

I'm was worried it might be the alternator but after reading this maybe not as my reading is around 9 volts untill I've driven a bit, then it goes up to 18 ish. So if yours is ok now I'll go to lexus and get a new Battery.

Cheers

Scott

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links