Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amazing Experience With The New Nav Dvd

Hi everyone,

I now have destination input while in motion even with the DVD version 1!

I just wanted to share some info on the newly released Nav maps that allow the imput while in motion.

I live in Italy and have a RX 400h purchased new in March 2008.

I was very interested in the possibility to input while driving, not only destinations but also Mp3 folder browsing and phone dialing.

After searching here and other sites on the internet, phoning Lexus and a couple of dealer I was not able to have sure answers on what exactly the new maps were allowing. So I was lucky enough to find a very helpful dealer that let me try the dvd in my car for a test. He swapped the central Europe Map DVD in the reader with the new release the answer is:

ONLY the destination input was allowed, NO phone or audio input.

But here comes the amazing part: after reinserting the original dvd in the reader in the trunk I STILL HAVE THE POSSIBILITY TO INPUT DESTINATION IN MOTION! And this was 3 days ago so I used the car normally in this period and still am able to use the option!

My suggestion to all those interested is to go out and try, as I don't think this is limited to Italy or just a lucky fact: I think the recent DVD changed something in software and now is permanent!

Alex

That is an awesome bit of info, I'm sure many of the others on here will benefit from this! That means the new DVD also updates the firmware, which I assume doesn't go back to an older version even if you put an older DVD in.

Welcome to LOC, that's a great way to start :)

Hi

I think you are right, when I updated my LS430's 2001 sat nav disc in 2007 the new one had a slightly different "I Agree" screen, I took the new disc out to copy it "for backup purposes your worship" and put the old one back in and the revised "I Agree" screen was still there.... so if you can borrow a disc it should work well.....

Pete

I guess it's just got a firmware update on there as part of the bootstrapper - just checks the onboard EEPROM and if it's earlier will update it, if not leaves it alone!

Good news anyway :)

I got my new DVD today via Lexus Map updates. Great service considering that I ordered it online and it arrived after just 2 days, all the way from Brussels.

I am suited that we can now put destinations in whilst on the move - its how it always should have been!!! Not noticed anything else new, but its only been a matter of hours. Well worth the £119 considering the motion lock is also removed.

So are we saying that if we just replace with the latest DVD it will allow you to look at your MP3 folders whilst in motion?

No

read first post

"ONLY the destination input was allowed, NO phone or audio input."

Pete

Hi everyone,

I now have destination input while in motion even with the DVD version 1!

I just wanted to share some info on the newly released Nav maps that allow the imput while in motion.

I live in Italy and have a RX 400h purchased new in March 2008.

I was very interested in the possibility to input while driving, not only destinations but also Mp3 folder browsing and phone dialing.

After searching here and other sites on the internet, phoning Lexus and a couple of dealer I was not able to have sure answers on what exactly the new maps were allowing. So I was lucky enough to find a very helpful dealer that let me try the dvd in my car for a test. He swapped the central Europe Map DVD in the reader with the new release the answer is:

ONLY the destination input was allowed, NO phone or audio input.

But here comes the amazing part: after reinserting the original dvd in the reader in the trunk I STILL HAVE THE POSSIBILITY TO INPUT DESTINATION IN MOTION! And this was 3 days ago so I used the car normally in this period and still am able to use the option!

My suggestion to all those interested is to go out and try, as I don't think this is limited to Italy or just a lucky fact: I think the recent DVD changed something in software and now is permanent!

Alex

i am very sorry, but this effect will only last until you next time disconnect your 12V Battery. then you will have to reinsert the new nav DVD.

try it out!

well come to the forum!

i am very sorry, but this effect will only last until you next time disconnect your 12V battery. then you will have to reinsert the new nav DVD.

try it out!

That is a shame, guess they're writing to volatile memory then which loses everything when it loses power - makes sense though as forces people to buy the new disks!

I just got the 2008-2009 E11 version of the Nav discs and it's so good for "my passenger" to be able to program whilst I am driving along, it's worth it for that alone!

I'd been thinking about getting this for a bit, and finally decided if i was going to splash the cash I might as well do it before my ski trip to the Alps (shame the GBP:EURO rate is so bad at the moment) but it was delivered very quickly.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that the new DVD update does that and also after using it and trying to use a 'copy' of the old DVD version I could not as this software changes the way the DVDs are read and will not recongise copies that worked so far...why would you wanna do that I dont know but I noticed it....I will give the Battery reset thing a try and see if it goes back to reading the copy of my previous DVD.

The new one has major updates for us here in Greece and is a must have! :D

PS I DO own the original DVD's so no hassle needed :)

Hey, maybe someone with the new DVD could post it out to a few of us who can't afford the new DVD (at a small fee) so that we can upgrade our firmware and send it back! That would contribute to the original purchaser's outlay (maybe even a profit)! If anyone is interested in doing this, PM me! ;-)

• 1 month later...

I just picked up my new discs an hour ago - aah, bliss - that grating (and occasionally embarassing) flaw in the car has finally been purged. Now I no longer have to decide whether to pull over illegally onto the hard shoulder or stop in the fast lane to let "my passenger" select something simple like 'previous destination' or 'find nearest supermarket with fuel'. Ordered on-line, convenient DVD box arrived wrapped in huge envelope that wouldn't fit through the letter box so had to go pick it up from DHL 30 miles away, passing the local Lexus place on the way....

Actually, I'm slightly intrigued as to the logic. So someone in Lexusland has decided that those of us that bought this £40,000-ish car are actually responsible enough to use our own judgement as to whether/when it is safe to use this system on the road - not only can we select an established destination from memory but also key in new ones, browse points of interest, scroll randomly around the map etc. We can even add and edit memos on the built-in calendar as we trundle around (too useful for words, that!). So.... why is the phone keypad still disabled? Actually, the aspect I've never got is that, once over the threshold speed, it not only disables the keypad but also hides the phone numbers on the speed dial buttons. Why? I have a friend's home, work and mobile numbers set as speed-dials, but while I'm moving I can't see which is which apart from trying to tell which of the tiny icons is supposed to look like a house rather than a factory.

I just picked up my new discs an hour ago - aah, bliss - that grating (and occasionally embarassing) flaw in the car has finally been purged. Now I no longer have to decide whether to pull over illegally onto the hard shoulder or stop in the fast lane to let "my passenger" select something simple like 'previous destination' or 'find nearest supermarket with fuel'. Ordered on-line, convenient DVD box arrived wrapped in huge envelope that wouldn't fit through the letter box so had to go pick it up from DHL 30 miles away, passing the local Lexus place on the way....

Actually, I'm slightly intrigued as to the logic. So someone in Lexusland has decided that those of us that bought this £40,000-ish car are actually responsible enough to use our own judgement as to whether/when it is safe to use this system on the road - not only can we select an established destination from memory but also key in new ones, browse points of interest, scroll randomly around the map etc. We can even add and edit memos on the built-in calendar as we trundle around (too useful for words, that!). So.... why is the phone keypad still disabled? Actually, the aspect I've never got is that, once over the threshold speed, it not only disables the keypad but also hides the phone numbers on the speed dial buttons. Why? I have a friend's home, work and mobile numbers set as speed-dials, but while I'm moving I can't see which is which apart from trying to tell which of the tiny icons is supposed to look like a house rather than a factory.

I too have been considering updating my Sat Nav DVD to allow for operation on the move.

Although some of the nonsence one local Lexus dealer told me was certainly an eye opener:-

1. The website lexus-mapupdates.eu was not applicable to UK customers, so any mention of a DVD which allows for operation while moving may not be available to UK customers. He said he would have to check that.

2. Apparently you get three or four discs to cover Europe. When I exaplained that would have applied to older generation CD Rom systems, and that presently I can access all of Europe, he expalined that the other discs covered the North and the East. I asked if he meant Russia and the Arctic circle?!?!?!?!? :winky: So convinced was he about this, he said all new cars come with the extra discs and if I look in the boot or glovebox I should find mine. Well I have owned my car for two and a half years and to date they havent turned up!! :crybaby: Probably becouse they dont exist.

Despite it being clear this member of the service department was talking rubbish, he was sticking to his guns, even claiming that they did have one of these new discs in stock and he felt certain it came in a set of three or four.

On the other points regarding phone and Stereo operation on the move, I understand it is possible to get round the block, the clue appears to be the speed sensor, but no Lexus dealer I have spoken to will get involved in that work

As a matter of interest the next generation of Lexus models, such as the new RX, will have all the blocks removed, all be it that the new car has a completly different mouse type system.

Regards

Keith

Well i've just rang through to two different dealers and both have said that the "nav in motion" will not work in mine! My version of the nav unit is the one before the bluetooth/voice control functionality was introduced so i'm guessing this is the reason.

Has anyone with the same version as mine tried the new discs??

Ta.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links