Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

F1 Is Over

redz_UK

unless something drastic happens its the end of F1 as we know it..

Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso have all declined to enter F1 for 2010.

The eight teams, which together form the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), failed to reach a compromise with FIA president Max Mosley over plans for a £40m budget cap

As things stand, next year's F1 championship now consists of Williams and Force India, along with the three new teams, USF1, Campos and Manor.

i agree with budget caps but surely they should have been staggred so that the teams can gradually make cost savings, ie staff! If they agreed these teams would have to make hundreds redundant overnight..

Could just be a bluffing game to get what they want, the FIA have had alot of interest from other companies for the new reg's so probably aren't that worried about costings and filling the grid etc, fan base would take a massive hit unless they get some big name drivers for the new teams.

I dont see what the teams will/could make series wise though, a no ruled series with no budget cap ? Think they need to come to terms with the fact that times are changing and that its not ok to spend hundreds of millions each year.

We'll see what happens over the coming weeks.

Could just be a bluffing game to get what they want, the FIA have had alot of interest from other companies for the new reg's so probably aren't that worried about costings and filling the grid etc, fan base would take a massive hit unless they get some big name drivers for the new teams.

I dont see what the teams will/could make series wise though, a no ruled series with no budget cap ? Think they need to come to terms with the fact that times are changing and that its not ok to spend hundreds of millions each year.

i think youve missed the point. all teams have agreed to caps but wanted this staggered over the next few years so that they can minimise the immeadiate impact on their teams and amongst other things not have to dismiss hundreds of people..

Guys, nothing is going to happen :) They do this every few years (last time was 2005 IIRC?) and we end up with the current status quo. I mean can you imagine these 'break away' teams, who are part of the wider car manufacturer brands, devoting more time, man hours and resources towards arranging their races?

It simply wont happen. They neither have the money nor the experience as this is where the FIA excel (having negotiated TV rights, venues, sponsors etc. etc.) - this is just a way to keep F1 in the news...

i think youve missed the point. all teams have agreed to caps but wanted this staggered over the next few years so that they can minimise the immeadiate impact on their teams and amongst other things not have to dismiss hundreds of people..

I very much doubt that, yes its a big drop but im sure many people including drivers will take pay cuts if they keep there jobs, yes people will have to be let go, but the big bosses really wont be giving to much thought to that, bigger companies like toyota, BMW and ferrari could give them jobs else where in the company, and also if you've got "worked for F1 team" on your CV getting a job within the motorsport industry wouldnt be hard at all.

A break away series would take a while to set up and even then it would have to be over seen by the FIA, unless they plan on making there own governing body as well lol

I don't think that the issue of dismissing staff was the main issue. It was really that (rightly or wrongly) the FOTA teams didn't really like the change being imposted on them by the FIA. If you're concerned about staff losing their jobs due to budget cuts, what about other teams that might go out of business (and therefore lose staff) because they can't afford to try and keep up with the bigger teams ?

There's very little time to setup a breakaway series, and surely that's going to cost loads of money to do so. But even trying to do so could be very damaging for the sport, that's the thing that concerns me. And if a breakaway does come to fruition, I think it will be a disaster (lots of people stopping watching = reduced revenue for the sport = more teams going out of business).

Nothing this serious has happened for ages IMHO though, I think it's a lot worse than previous disagreements with the FIA.

It is very sad indeed, but I really don't believe they will allow them to leave like that. Eventually they will settle at a middle ground, as the loss of revenue for the FIA would be huge if all the big teams started their own series.

I agree with Colin, this is all because of Max Mosley - he's a rich old fool who should have been kicked out years ago, and now I think he finally will be. The rest of the FIA will not stand by as he destroys F1............all he does is make knee jerk reactions without thinking things through.

First there was one lap qualifying, which they eventually got rid of, more recently there was the "medals" system which never even happened, and now there's this which I'm sure will also get shelved.

I'm with FOTA on this, how can he force the teams to suddenly drop their budgets down to £40m in one season, but refuse them a greater share of the advertising revenue?

I'll wait to see what happens, but I'm pretty sure they won't allow this to happen, and the new teams that have joined are probably not as interested in racing in an F1 with just a few teams and no big names.

Apart from the jobs that F1 creates, I would not miss it if it was never on again.

IMHO its the worst of all motor sports.

Also think it is funny the way everyone now likes Jenson instead of Lewis :wacko: :wacko:

for the sum of £40m, ferrari etc could run a second team, with the same cars, but under the budget cap. They can then run the normal team with no cap etc, but use the capped team to get unlimited track testing etc for the other teams car!

Play the game!

for the sum of £40m, ferrari etc could run a second team, with the same cars, but under the budget cap. They can then run the normal team with no cap etc, but use the capped team to get unlimited track testing etc for the other teams car!

Play the game!

I'm not sure you can do that, as essentially one team would have a "customer car" - which is what there was initially a fuss about with Red Bull and Toro Rosso.......not sure how they get around it but the two cars are not exactly the same.

Apart from the jobs that F1 creates, I would not miss it if it was never on again.

IMHO its the worst of all motor sports.

Also think it is funny the way everyone now likes Jenson instead of Lewis :wacko: :wacko:

totally agree with you Adrian ;)

i like nigel mansell!!

As a racing driver mate or is this just some sort of statement you wanting to say :o :lol:

:lol: Was a bit of an odd outburst! :lol:

errrr..

as a driver...

:blush:

wanst the best at looking after his cars, cant count how many engine failures, tyres and even running out of fuel, but he was certainly a good driver..

Was just reading that before this big blow-up with FOTA saying they were going to launch a breakaway series, they had actually reached an agreement with the FIA under which they would sign up to next year.

However, when they received the papers, what had been agreed as a contractual agreement to race until 2012 in the meeting, had been changed to 2014 by Max Mosley..........FOTA found this the last straw and decided that was that (rightly so imo)

I really do think that this could be solved very easily by getting rid of Max............

Nigel was the last in a run of proper racing drivers.

I liked Coulthard too (not like that though!!! :) ) but shame he never paid off - too much messing around swopping leads when in Mclaren good days.

You can't deny Shumachers talent either.

• 2 weeks later...

What is wrong with the FIA? They came to an agreement, and they all signed up..........so why would they call them to a meeting and tell them that they're not signed up?

I may not have all the facts but that sounds silly to me :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links