Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Keyfobs Are Bad Quality

Hi all,

I'm usually on the LS400 page, as that is what i have, but someone i know has just broke a key for her RX.

It apparently takes 3-7 days for Lexus to get the key in their post, then just 30 mins to program.

This seems such a fustrating and annoying way to deal with what are usually quite urgent but simple requirements from customers.

They say its ordered in from belgium? why cant they store some in the uk? makes more sense economically and is much better for 'customer service'...or is there even such a thing anymore in this country?

I understand about all the security needed for keys, and the immobilser and stuff......but why is it over £200 and why does it take so long?

Surely if the metal part of the key is still is ok, then they should have empty cases in stock so we can simply swap the bits inside - then it costs less than a fiver. I can't see any security issues with that if all paperwork and ID is presented when collecting the new key

Looking for the spare that came with the car when it was bought 2nd hand, i found a bag containing 2 keys, both broken at the same point......the same point as this new culprit

This leads me to think Lexus are very cheeky for charging extortionate amounts for keys when its their 'cheap' design that is faulty.

I still have both original keys for my LS, which is now 17 years old, and they are both in good condition and show no signs of wanting to break - and i have a stiff boot lock which occasionally needs substantial force to open

Anybody know of a cheaper source for these key fobs? :whistling: and don't say ketchup - I already thought of it!!! hehehe :D

Not sure if the Toyota ones have the Boot opening bit; otherwise couldn't they be used instead? Bet they cost a lot less....

Mine opens the boot, the fob for my Camry is identical to that on my dad's LS400, Denso made in Japan, most european Toyota's though use Valeo fobs.

The RX design is the same as series II GS, IS200 etc. I've owned many of these keys over the years never had a problem. I wouldn't say they are of poor design.

I disagree,

I bought my 51 plate RX300 as a result of a friend's experience of owning one. he loved the car but warned me to be careful with the ignition key as his had proved fragile, this was his only gripe with the car.

I have indeed had a problem with the fob disintegrating, it seems extremely fragile in the area of the hole for a keyring to pass through. The friendly people at Lexus offered to replace it for £120. They employed a little superglue but I have been using the spare key ever since, this also seems fragile and I am very careful with it.

My RX has now done 91K and has been excellent but not without some issues, namely an O2 sensor at 80K and a brake caliper at 85K. That is it though and I am really pleased with the car, it is a superb towcar pulling a quite meaty caravan at times and inspiring complete confidence.

Back to the key though, in my view this is a design fault; a piece of equipment that has to be used every time the vehicle is used needs to to far more robust in my view.

Exactly, if the screw tends to come loose, why only use the one at the end of all the pressure.

there should be one at the top where the keyring goes and one either side where the key is fastened in.

At least its one of the only cheap things Lexus use - imagine the repair bills if most parts were crap too :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
The RX design is the same as series II GS, IS200 etc. I've owned many of these keys over the years never had a problem. I wouldn't say they are of poor design.

I agree.Had mine for 4 years and no problems.Seems plenty robust.

To the OP:I'm sorry you've had this problem,but you'll find all the premium manufacturers(and the not so premium ones!) charge extortionate amounts for this kind of service.

How old was the key before it was broken?

If they are the same keys as the IS200/300 with either the two button or three button you can get these off eBay. You will need to have it cut preferably by a proper security shop not the cobblers shop(eg Timpson). Then transfer the electronic bit to the new key. I've just done that for my IS300 for the total cost of £27.

Then transfer the electronic bit to the new key.

That's very helpful. Can you explain how to transfer the electronic bit, please? Is that a physical transfer by taking something out of the old key and putting it into the new? Or is done via a computer, and if so, how?

Thanks

That's very helpful. Can you explain how to transfer the electronic bit, please? Is that a physical transfer by taking something out of the old key and putting it into the new? Or is done via a computer, and if so, how?

You need to take out the fob/buttons/eletronic bit out of the old key and put it into your new key that you have had cut- no need for computers or programming.

:tsktsk: My RX key has just shattered!

The plastic around where the key part comes out just by the Lock button has just disintergrated!

RUBBISH!

If they are the same keys as the IS200/300 with either the two button or three button you can get these off ebay. You will need to have it cut preferably by a proper security shop not the cobblers shop(eg Timpson). Then transfer the electronic bit to the new key. I've just done that for my IS300 for the total cost of £27.

Who did you use to get one cut? Can you recomend anyone?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Blank replacement turned up from Hong Kong, £5 well spent except the blade is longer than my key :crybaby:

Asked Lexus Stockport how much for a new key. £60'odd plus labour. Labour?? when I asked they said to reprogramme. I explained the electronics were fine but they insisted needed a reprogramme. RUBBISH!

Rapidly falling out of love with Lexus Customer service.

How can they charge so much for a bit of plastic and un needed reprogram :tsktsk: ???

Blank replacement turned up from Hong Kong, £5 well spent except the blade is longer than my key :crybaby:

Asked Lexus Stockport how much for a new key. £60'odd plus labour. Labour?? when I asked they said to reprogramme. I explained the electronics were fine but they insisted needed a reprogramme. RUBBISH!

Rapidly falling out of love with Lexus Customer service.

How can they charge so much for a bit of plastic and un needed reprogram :tsktsk: ???

If its the blade thats just too long surely it can be shortened at the same time as being "cut"..........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links