Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tranny Clunk

Paul13

Hey guys,

I just recently bought a 2003 IS300 with 145k km. Everything has been great with the car so far except for the transmission. Whenever I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, I hear and feel a subtle "Clunk" as soon as the gears engage. I replaced the transmission oil with a 75W synthetic oil when I first got the car, but only started to notice this about a month after I got it. Also engaging first gear when the engine is still cool is sometimes difficult; however I can't hear any grinding sounds. Can you guys please help me address this issue. What's the easiest fix? Thanks in advance.

-Paul

Hello :)

You might get better help on the US forum, unfortunately the IS300 manual was never sold in the UK. Which is strange as we tend to prefer manuals more than the US market.

Anyway, I wonder if the IS300 has the same J160 gearbox as the IS200. I have a manual IS200 and have exactly the same problems as you.

I've had the gearbox oil changed twice with two different types to try and cure it. At first it seems to work, but like you say after a few weeks the clunks come back. 1-2 is the worst on my car.

My theory is that it's something to do with the design of the gearbox where the oil doesn't get around to everywhere properly. When the oil is changed it's ok for a while, but then certain areas don't get enough oil cover. That's only an idea though!

I forgot to add, I find I can improve things slighly by shifting up to second slowly but with a very firm action. Also, a bit of pressure towards the left seems to help. This mostly stops the small crunch I get shifting up to second.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links