Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Lexus Is200 Sport Owner

IZZZY

hi guys,

i just wanted to say hi to you fellow Lexus owners... i purchased my first Lexus is200 sport yesterday...

65k on the clock

bought off a 2nd owner who had it for the last 5 years and knew the previous owner.. so the history of the car is known :-)

just a couple of questions:

1) during the 1st, 2nd gears when the revs reach around 2000/3000 range.. the car gets louder as if its being revved to like 5000 or being red lined.. i find this a little strange as i thought the engine would be quiet till the later revs ? is this normal? any thoughts?

2) i think the clutch is possibly on its way out :-( as i have notcied the biting point is very low.. so as soon as i lift offf the clutch .. i have go to give to press the throttle otherwise the gear change would be too late.. im guessing this is not normal and the clutch is on its way out? correct? any thoughts??

Apart from that .. i think the common fault with the stereo... i get the error as with most users.. error1 - now i prefer to keep this stereo as i like the 6 cd's at the front idea...so is this possible to get repaired? any thoughts?

Appreciate ALL your help guys - thanks in advance

Izzy

hi and welcome, I know nothin about clutches and gears lol, but the stereo can just be swapped with a working one providing its the same model number (theres a couple of different ones depending on the age of the car)

theres normally a couple knockin about on eBay and theres a walk through of how to remove the old one and replace the new one on the forum somewhere

Hi Izzy, welcom to LOC.

The high sounding rev's is normal and for the clutch, i thought if the clutch came up too high that ment it was on it's way out, i maybe wrong thou. Someone with more of a clue will be along soon ;) enjoy you Lexus.

A good pointer for the 200 engine is that when you are accelerating, you should find that you feel a surge of acceleration from about 3000-3500 rpm upwards, this is a characteristec of the engine, it could be that your perception of engine noise, corresponds with this 'optimum' power band...if you want to 'push on' this is where your tacho needle should be pointing.... if you can't detect better urge in that rev range then I would have the engine checked out...but there are others on here that know much more than me !!

A good pointer for the 200 engine is that when you are accelerating, you should find that you feel a surge of acceleration from about 3000-3500 rpm upwards, this is a characteristec of the engine, it could be that your perception of engine noise, corresponds with this 'optimum' power band...if you want to 'push on' this is where your tacho needle should be pointing.... if you can't detect better urge in that rev range then I would have the engine checked out...but there are others on here that know much more than me !!

thanks Janet,

I will get the engine checked out.. but it has a FSH etc etc etc...and only got 65k on the motor... so i would have thought the engine etc wouod have been more smoother..etc..

maybe it is clutch related? i think if the pedal does not rise too high this was a reason for the clutch going..rather than the clutch going based on it rising high...?

thoughts welcome!!!

Apart from that .. i think the common fault with the stereo... i get the error as with most users.. error1 - now i prefer to keep this stereo as i like the 6 cd's at the front idea...so is this possible to get repaired? any thoughts?

Izzy

No no no :) Your Cd player is not done for yet. Error 3 = fukd.

Error 1 = reading error i believe. Dirty lens or something. When i get error 1 i just turn of the head unit count to five and turn it back on and i usually work again :)

You can load and eject cds right? :)

I agree with Paul, the change of engine noise you are picking up on at that revs is prob clutch slip as the "power band" is normally higher revs, 4 - 4.5K, i find it strange that the clutch has gone at 65,000 miles, i think the previous owner has clutch control issues, a clutch should last alot longer than that if driven properly.

I also agree with Solhatt about your error 1 code, this was the problem i had with mine, switching on / off, or ejecting & replacing disc sometimes rectified it, but it only happened on my stereo when playing copied / burned disc's, original cd's played fine on mine, if you are using original cd's and having this happen, try a lens cleaner disc to see if this helps.

Welcome to the club, hope you get your early setbacks sotred soon.

Izzy

Error 1 = reading error i believe. Dirty lens or something. When i get error 1 i just turn of the head unit count to five and turn it back on and i usually work again :)

Hi Solhatt,

well hmm im kind of suprised in a good way.. yes i get error 1, and yes i can load and eject discs... it basically loads and starts to read the disc and then after like 5 -10 seconds it will kick up thta error1 message.. so i think it does make sense that it is unable to read the disc due to lens dirty or whatever...

any suggestions on what i should do?

thanks

I agree with Paul, the change of engine noise you are picking up on at that revs is prob clutch slip as the "power band" is normally higher revs, 4 - 4.5K, i find it strange that the clutch has gone at 65,000 miles, i think the previous owner has clutch control issues, a clutch should last alot longer than that if driven properly.

I also agree with Solhatt about your error 1 code, this was the problem i had with mine, switching on / off, or ejecting & replacing disc sometimes rectified it, but it only happened on my stereo when playing copied / burned disc's, original cd's played fine on mine, if you are using original cd's and having this happen, try a lens cleaner disc to see if this helps.

Welcome to the club, hope you get your early setbacks sotred soon.

lol

well yes it was a lady owner for the last 5 years.. so yes i think she had typically kept her foot on the pedal ALL the DAMN time..lol...

so the whole thing about 'careful lady owner' in the ad... dont mean shizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...lol

anyway on that note..called.. Lexus for the cost of a Clutch and plate.. said £201 and then 3 hours labour ...errr okaaay then..

recommendations requested on whnere i can get a cheaper price on a clutch ... thanks guys

Izzy

Hi Solhatt,

well hmm im kind of suprised in a good way.. yes i get error 1, and yes i can load and eject discs... it basically loads and starts to read the disc and then after like 5 -10 seconds it will kick up thta error1 message.. so i think it does make sense that it is unable to read the disc due to lens dirty or whatever...

thanks

Take out the head unit and clean the lens with alcohol :)

Izzy

Hi Solhatt,

thanks

Take out the head unit and clean the lens with alcohol :)

hi mate,

i just trekked all the way to Maplins in the cold and rain... to get a CD Lense cleaner.. cost £10 and did sweet F ALL!!! what a waste of money and time....

it asks you to put alcohol solution they provide on the cd brush cleaner (2 pieces stuck on cd) but when you slot the cd in.. there is that soft tissue type fabric right at the entrance , i guess to take off dust etc off the cd.. and prevent dust getting in.. but this just takes all the alcohol off the cd.. pointless!!!

so no joy there... mate do u know if there is a instruction guide of how to takje the stereo out? is it simple or fairly complicated? anyone know?

thanks

Izzy

I had an error one message on my lexus when I bought it so I took the stereo apart and cleaned the lens with a cotton wool bud dipped in lens cleaner solution. Dont be afraid to push quite firmly down on to the lens as mine was covered in a thick dry film of dirt and needed a bit of pressure to get it off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links