Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Scuffed My Alloys

In 2 heart wrenching seconds last night I managed to scuff my front left wheel. Its not massive but visible. What should I do? The car is only a month old. :blink: Should I get them refurbished? Or wait till i put some more on and then spend the money? or just wait for them to start corroding and get the dealer to fix them B) . Will a dealer replace kerbed wheels? How long before I might start to see some corrosion on the wheels? What causes it. Is this a problem (corrosion) that drivers is London have noticed.

All advise welcome. Meanwhile I am off to sulk some more. :sad:

congratulations

you lasted a whole month, before the dreaded kerbing

it took me only a week ! and i did two of them :blush:

i managed to get them replaced by dealers , but they were trying to keep me sweet after some poor dealer/customer relations :D

two choices :get them refurbed and be carefull

or live with it and wait for them to corrode

Look guys,

If your gonna try and cause corrosion... this is not considered a manufacturing fault, and may not be replaced under warranty...

Just thought I better point this out.

especially when lexus reads this post :unsure:

perhaps have a suggestion topic in gold

"best way of getting your wheels to corrode" :whistling:

more of a little dig at lexus. Every other car manufacturer can make alloys that can withstand the cleaners but us!

Unless you clean then in sulphuric acid or something I doubt Lexus will even question it - seeing as they do it so often! Must be like getting up in the morning and changing your pants!

I have heard some bad rumors about wonder wheels, and also seen some bad results too.. :yack:

I've used Wonder Wheels on various cars of the last number of years and never once had a problem with it or seen any problems with, I swear by the stuffas do a number of friends... I know this is a little :offtopic: but what have you heard....

Errr - can i offer up a simpler alternative ?

Put the spare wheel in place of the scuffed one ...

and the scuffed one in the boot ...

When they do eventually corrode, all 5 are replaced anyway.

Obviously this swap idea ia a one time solution. :iraqi-info-minister:

You'll have to be more careful now ...

I use wonder wheels, but I dilute it-1 part WW 3 parts water. Even at that strength, it seems to have no trouble shifting the grime and muck that stick to the wheels. Still won't get rid of dried on weetabix though, not even using it neat out the bottle!

The brushes which come in the pack disintegrate after a while, so I've got an old paint brush that does just as well.

My experience of wonder wheels (and similar acid-based products) is that it is fine as long as the surface of the wheel is undamaged. If there is damage to the laquer, it seems to get behind it and make it worse. To be honest, because of the design of the wheels, I just use a sponge and water and do it a bit more often than I used to, before the kak bakes itself on. I'm worried about the acid damaging them, given the obvious problems they already tend to suffer - ie corrosion.

Talking of damage, I've had my IS200 for 5 months now, my wife scuffed the front wheel after a week. She took it to one of these places that do little repairs, I wasn't that impressed with the result. It was academic really, though, because the very next day she scuffed it again, in exactly the same place. She then did it again four more times over the next few months, the last of which scuffed the wheel right the way round.

She's been scuff-free for a few months now, so I've banged the spare wheel on. Methinks it won't survive for that long, but hey-ho. From what everyone else has said, the wheels will probably corrode soon anyhoo. I think they were refurbed before I bought the car, cos they were immaculate, but I can already see a few spots that I'm keeping an eyeball on.

:huh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links