Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ebc Brakes And Strange Noises

I fitted my new Turbo Groove Discs and Green Stuff pads last sunday, Just noticed today that there is a constant clicking noise.

I have put it down to the pads being new and the discs having the grooves on them. Is this normal? it happens all the time even when the brakes are not being used, its not loud as I only hear it with the window down but I would feel better knowing it was normal

Thanks Brett

'fraid so :sad:

I don't actually recommend grooved or spotted (and DEF NOT drilled) as they weaken the disk and do very little to aid heat disserpation..... plus you get the annoying noise.

Just have to turn the stereo up or keep the windows closed. It is normal though - nothing to be concerned about.

Thats a bit of a bummer!!! I personally hate any noises like these...

:offtopic: Recently after colouring my calipers I can hear a slight hiss/rubbing noise coming from rear left hand side...assumed my expertise in painting was the cause :blush: ...anyway noticed the noise has slowly gone... :D

there possibly only weaker if there a cheap product

Which EBC are!

UV, drilled discs, are not weaker, if so why do Porsche fit them as std

I am not party to the decision making rational at Porsche, but if people demand a product - it will be supplied. Marketing people often have greater say in these matters than the engineers.

For example (an example where I know the facts through inside information rather than trying to assume regarding Porsche when I know nothing about them) .... at Honda, the new Accord, the engineers want the car to have 16" wheels as these are the best for handling. The suspension, the wheel arch gap etc all works at it best with 16" wheels. The arch gap is an important part of this. However - fashion dictates less of a gap..... so the Marketing bods want 17" wheels on there. The Japanese engineers are confused - why would you want to fit something that makes it worse???? Because that is what people want! That is fashion. That sells.

The thickness of the disk has much more benefit than drilling. Drilling obviously has some effect on the strength - if you put holes into something, it has to have effect on the structural soundness.

From experience I have worked brakes very hard and the only ones I ever managed to crack were spotted/grooved ones (EBC in fact). I spoke with various brake experts (including those that engineered the AP brakes) and was told by all that grooves and holes were not the way to go, that any benefit was outweighed by the downsides and that a proper brake upgrade using thicker disks etc was more beneficial.

However in the case of Brettster (getting back on topic!!) - I don't think this is an issue - I am assuming he will not be working the brakes to even encounter brake fade, so certainly won't have any issues with cracking them. The only worry for most Lexus peeps would be the noise. Since he has had it confirmed that it is normal, he doesn't have a concern.

OK, i tried with the window down to hear the noises, but i couldnt hear anythings (but then i have Black Diamonds Disc instead of EBC), wonder if this is only happen on EBC discs? the only thing i hear with the window down is, Vroooooooommmm, Vroooooooooommmmm, Vrooooooommmm from the HKS exhuast, but nothing else, hehehe :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

cant wait to hear what it sound like with SC too.hehehe :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::whistling::whistling:

IMO...the EBC discs and pads are great, there is no getting away from that! I am more than impressed with the ones I got through the Group Buy Mr. G organised!!

I've done about 600 miles on them now.....at first I was getting the noise that Bret is talking about. But once they have been warn in, that noise will fade (as it did with me)!! Also when your braking, the pad is made largely of copper, so its effectively metal on metal. Additionally, with the noise of the air leaving the grooves and dimples on the discs its all gonna sound much different!!

Can anyone else with the EBC dics and pads say that they are not happy?? B)

Cheers - Neil

Im happy with them :)

I dont hear them with the window shut and my wheels are still clean looking :)

But I do Agree with UV they are just a fasion statment

I have seen some brake discs that look like Circular Saw Blades all Jagged on the edge

look cool to me

bet they dont work too well tho

They do look good, agreed, but my main desire in fitting them was to reduce brake dust, which they have done, and relatively inexpensively, so I'm happy. The fact that they look good to boot is a bonus.

They do make a rasping clicking sound under braking and this is normal, but it doesn't bother me... at least they don't squeak!!!

Asam

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links