Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is200 Catalytic Converter

John Lee

the life of all cats is mileage not age dependent under average driving conditions, eg the original cat on a merc is good for 100k miles in the uk. cheers gds :) :)

if your car is supercharged the higher EGT's get through the cats much more quickly.

supercharged or not mileage is about fuel burnt which is about gas created, in any case, the question was about an is200. if the toyota cat spec is up to mb the life should be 100k miles but why not ask toyota/lexus, cheers, gds :) :)

supercharged or not mileage is about fuel burnt which is about gas created, in any case, the question was about an is200. if the toyota cat spec is up to mb the life should be 100k miles but why not ask toyota/lexus, cheers, gds :) :)

i know of two is200's that have had problems with the cats' after very few miles, both of which were supercharged - think the extra heat causes them to break up

imagine a toilet roll,.......push the cardboard tube in the middle, it starts to extend and uncoil.

thats what happens to the pre-cats, and not just on S/C cars

quite a well known problem in Germany, this then generates more heat...causing them to break up........

the main cat is of a honeycomb construction, so doesnt suffer the same strsses, or weakness's

Chris Shipley Posted on Jun 11 2003, 09:07 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Supracharged-IS340 @ Jun 11 2003, 10:03 PM)

chris you dont have pre cats 

I meant the main cat Mat 

Questions for Mat or Chirs:

1st, how did you remove the pre-cats?

2nd, what difference does it make?

3rd, is it recommended to get them removed?

thanks

Chris,

did they use a certain type of replacement pipes for these or can we get them done from any local place who customize their own exhausts for you (i know a place who make a Powerflow set up)..

If they're broken up, then you 'might' be able to knock them out ..

if you have a very long implement that goes round bends :D

Otherwise, cut the cannisters open and remove the contents.

Then weld them closed again. Looks nice and standard :shifty:

Actually, thinking about it, pipework is probably aluminised ...

So, you'll probably need to braze it back together rather than weld <_<

by removing the precat, will it make your exhaust louder? and will it affect the emission?

i have had the precats removed, didn't notice any change to the exhaust sound. emissions are not a problem - i had an MOT a few months ago and passed without any problems at all so the main cat is ok on its own. These were the apporimxate numbers for the MOT, can't remember what the tests measure but anyway:

Test 1

Pass = 1.5% mycar =0.3%

Test 2

Pass = 200ppm mycar = 68ppm

I will be changing the main cat to an HKS sports model shortly (just waiting to get it fitted)

You can also remove all three cats, but probably won't pass the tests ?

I have no problems on this matters where I live.

By doing so you will need an o2 simulator or equivalent; it is sold in the USA by Toyomoto:

www.toyomoto.com

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links