Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Orange Warning Light On Dashboard

Music Tel Boy

Hi All,

I am recently the proud owner of a fantastic SC 430 it is now 8 years old done 45,000 mls full Lexus Service History.

Need some advice please,

2 things,

1. Engine Shaped Orange Warning Light has just come on, yet the car is running perfectly?

2. When would you recommend that I get the Cambelt Changed as according to Lexus Dealer I should get it changed next year?

Thanks for yor help,

Tel ;)

The check engine light could mean a lot of different things mate. You will need to get the fault codes read either at Lexus, or a local garage.

First, check that the fuel cap is on tight, as this can put the light on.

• 1 year later...

The check engine light could mean a lot of different things mate. You will need to get the fault codes read either at Lexus, or a local garage.

Hey, apart from your image stuff, THANK YOU :winky:

Was it the Fuel Cap?

Was it the Fuel Cap?

After all this time we may never know! Do you have the same problem?

Was it the Fuel Cap?

After all this time we may never know! Do you have the same problem?

I do have the same issue, but its booked in tomorrow and while its there its having an MOT so fingers crossed.

Well a few little bits for the MOT, Headlamp bit high, number plates and a leaking brake caliper, but as it was only replaced recently that was changed under warranty.

As for the Orange Light, they read the codes and think it might be a Lambada sensor, but it did pass the omissions test?

I've been told cambelt is 10 years on my 2002 SC430. I checked with 2 Lexus garages and they both said the same. Apparently it's about a £500 Lexus bill for the work.

I got my cambelt done along with a service for £600 at Glasgow Lexus. I did use the phrase "is that the best you can do" down from £700.

Rob

• 4 months later...

Hi,

My 2002 SC is displaying the orange engine shaped light it. The car seems to drive fine. I’ve checked the fuel cap and its locked and closed as it should be….

Anyone experienced a similar problem if so what was done to fix the issue…?

Or do I need to take it into the dealer for an expense diagnosis…?

Thanks in advance….

-R

The light can mean many different things,all it does is indicate the engine management system has detected a fault somewhere, it could be a misfire, a fueling problem an emissions problem or something else.

The fault code reader will then narrow things down hopefully to one specific area.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Lexus who read the codes any decent garage with professional equipment should be able to do the job.

cambelt is every 100k miles.

The Check engine light (CEL) can come on for over 100 different reasons. We can speculate all day but if it isn't the fuel cap not on tight then there is a good chance it is emissions related and therefore an Oxygen sensor or Cat issue.

If you can post the error code (Pxxxx) then we can help further.

• 2 months later...

On the Issue of ECL (Engine Check Lights) .....

These can be a pain on many cars. I have a Jaguar that is constantly coming up with a ECL warning(These problems are related to emmision controls). but no one can find anything wrong with it. One auto electrician supposedly knew what he was doing and changed both O2 censors but within 100 miles or so the light was back on. It cost me £180. Now I will make clear the car had no symptoms. No lack of power no excess fuel use nothing.

In the end I bought a simple Code reader from amazon

U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD Trouble Code Read Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner

It cost about £18 . Still available. I checked the Jag and it came up with two codes . One Fault and one pending. Didn't know what that means and the Code (P1000) wasn't identifiable., The U480 has a facility for resetting the cars system (it puts the ECL off).

To cut short I have been running the Jag now for two years resetting the ECL occasionally. No problems it passes inspections and MOTs and I have a very reliable well qualified and experienced Auto engineer (used to be in charge of a major rally teams engineering). He says there is no problem with the car just the ECU warning. In short a fault with the warning light. After a number 'cycles' it shows a warning for no reason. A 'cycle' is one start warm up and shut down' of the engine !! Or something like that. It can happen if the car is stalled sometimes. . With the U480 I can run the car and not worry about spurious warning lights. If there is a real fault it will be triggered as soon as you drive the car so its not in any way dangerous. The OBD system will only cancel the light on its own if there has been no pending fault (a fault that is maturing) in 3 cycles or no faults identified for 40 cycles.

Now to the 430SC. about 5 days ago I started up the engine to drive home and I got the ECL warning. Along with this was the VSC and VSC OFF lights. Drove the car home an noticed nothing wrong. I am not sure if the VSC was actually off but it may have been.

I used the U480 code reader and it showed no real code just asked if I wanted to erase the warning and I did. Car has been fine ever since with no warning lights no symptoms its as good as ever.

The U480 has a multi pin socket just under the dash drivers side. The device just plugs into it then you switch on the ignition dont need to start the car. it runs through some checks then you press enter only an enter and a search button to worry about its that simple.

In short my advice is. Get one of these Code readers. If you dont have one you could well be taking your car to the garage for a fault that doesn't exist and you bet your life they will find some excuse to make you pay for the privilege.

My son has had the same sort of problems solved on two of his cars a BMW and a Subaru over a few years and he advised me to get one of these code readers a while ago. I first borrowed his for my Jag. Must have saved me £££s

Well worth investing £19 in.

I used the U480 code reader and it showed no real code just asked if I wanted to erase the warning and I did.

There would have been a code, your reader just couldn't obtain it

there are code readers and there are good ones that actually give you the correct codes. In my experience the cheap handheld ones aren't that good unless guaranteed to work with Toyota/Lexus and can read the manufacturer specific codes. Readers that hook up to a computer, even the cheap elm327 ones, normally do better as the power and intelligence is in the software running on the PC, of which there are many programs to choose from.

I used the U480 code reader and it showed no real code just asked if I wanted to erase the warning and I did.

There would have been a code, your reader just couldn't obtain it

there are code readers and there are good ones that actually give you the correct codes. In my experience the cheap handheld ones aren't that good unless guaranteed to work with Toyota/Lexus and can read the manufacturer specific codes. Readers that hook up to a computer, even the cheap elm327 ones, normally do better as the power and intelligence is in the software running on the PC, of which there are many programs to choose from.

Yes thats right but my point was, buying one of the cheap ones is a good bet because many ECL warnings can be spurious.

I cant see the point of paying for an expensive code reader because even these are not model specific.

The good thing about the one I indicate is that it allows you to erase the warning light.

My warning hasnt repeared. without the code reader i would have had to take the car to a garage.

They will find something to charge you for.

My Jag ECL light seems to stay of for ages and over time I belive the problem is probably a vacum leak.....

I wont be worying about the code until the car itself shows syptoms Neither have done that.

• 3 weeks later...

More on this.

After a two week stay in an airport car park my 'ECL' and 'VSg' and 'VSG Off' flights came on again.

I checked with my OBD ( code reader) it said P0031 again. which is something like H20 Bank 1 low temp.

i tried to reset it with the code reader but it didt work.

Continued to drive the car as nothing wrong I managed 30 mpg back from the airport and no loss of power. Next day tried to reset it again . No success.

As it said 'Low temp' on Sunday (two days later) I warmed it up drove for a while till the engine was hot. Tried to reset it again. Now there is no warning light and no problem indicated.

I am sure it will come on again when the car is started from cold at sometime but its not a big issue.

I will get it sorted eventualy but really its no panic. First stop a very expereinecd automotive engineer i know and see what he says.

More later.

• 2 weeks later...

Alphacat, I've had one of these cheap readers for quite a time and do the same as you on a variety of cars. Clears out the noise so you really see what is happening!

Yes they can save expensive trips to the garage.

Just a comment on my 430 Sc two weeks later and the cars fine lights havent come on again.

I talked to a friend who is going to service the car in a few weeks time. Top well qualified automotive engineer with his own buisness. He said it probably one of the pre heat wires in the sensor on the indicated bank. The real fault only exists on start up as soon as the engine is running its not there nor is it there when the engine is warm. In short I can run the car and keep resetting it if it comes back. Otherwise if its too regular he will change the sensor next service.

Sounds logical to me and it shows the sort of faults that send many rushing to a rip of visit to a Lexus Dealer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links