Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys

I've managed to find a reasonably priced GS300 1995 M reg with 117K on it and a full Lexus Service history and its less than £5000.

Would i be right in assuming 117K is nothing to worry about, and is there anything specific i should ask/check before i go and look at it, as it about 100miles away from me :)

cheers

Ants

Hey m8

Good to hear you found something! :)

Wouldn't worry about the mileage so much, dont think it's much of an issue with these cars :unsure:

Make sure you get a good look at everything and take it for a long testdrive :excl:

And that it's got everything you want from it before you go there, you dont wanna drive a 100 miles for nothing! :ohmy:

Cheers

:) thanx m8 but i was lookin to spend nearer 6000 were looking to buy a house and so i need some spare cash cos i have a '97 Saab convertible to sell to get some cash back :)

Just out of interest what colour is your mums

Ants

• 1 month later...

Mileage is the least important factor. Condition, history, the type of owner (eg do they put cheap tyres on the car or do they take a no expense spared approach to their cars upkeep) they are what you look at.

GS300 SE MK2 115 thousand miles and counting!

• 2 weeks later...
Mileage is the least important factor. Condition, history, the type of owner (eg do they put cheap tyres on the car or do they take a no expense spared approach to their cars upkeep) they are what you look at.

GS300 SE MK2 115 thousand miles and counting!

What has cheap tyres got to do with anything?

cheap tyres are put on the car by tight asses! this reflects on the cars service history!

Or it's because the owner drives lots of miles on motorways and expensive tyres are just a waste of money.

Don't see how you can say cheaper tyres = poor quality

If that argument held true Toyota and the other manufacturers from Japan would all have produced poor cars because when they came over here they were the cheap car.

If you are going for ZR rated tyres then they have to pass the same standards as the main brands, the big difference is your not paying for a label. I'll admit that the big brands may give better mileage and certainly more grip, but for everyday use, if you can get a ZR rated tyre at a 1/3rd the price of a big brand you'd be a fool not to. The big name brand will not give you 3x the grip or 3x the mileage.

I'd also say that at £160 ago budget tyres are not exactly cheap unless you compare them with £350 for the likes of Michelin.

Hi. I don't find my tyres (MK1 GS300) to be really expensive. Put two Pirelli P6000s on 18/06/03. Total price £208.84 including valves, off vehicle balancing (taking care caus the wheels have just been refurbished at £85.00 each - but worth every penny!!!) and including the dreaded VAT. You just gotta shop around!

If you are doing high mileage then you would choose a hard wearing tyre like Michelin (my bosses car has Michelin Pilot and he got 50,000 miles from all four tyres, driving like an idiot).

I wouldn't buy a car which had tyres on it that I had not heard of, or if every tyre was different. If the tyres are cheap then was the owner also using chip fat for engine oil or washing the car with washing up liquid etc etc.

I spend no more that 90 quid a corner on tyres. but have uprated brake dscs and pads. race spec oil changed every 6000miles, OEM filters (air, oil, fuel) Lex dagnostics. Lex aftermarket alloys. I think I spend it where it counts.

I have proved my tyres choice on the track and have witnesses that will attest to the grip, longevity and robustness of them.. Now If I had a different brand at ever corner I would think me a pikey!

Loz

Why skimp on the one part of the car that holds you on the road, different tyres DO make a big difference to the way your car handles, the amoutn of road noise etc....

I'm looking at £103 for each of my rear tyres that I've got 12k and 5 track sessions out of and am very pleased at the way they've lasted....

I repeat:

I am as far as I know, the only person to have tested tyres to the extremes of a track day. In said track day the tyres are pushed way beyond the abuse you can gve them on the road. wish I had the pix of mine after a session. but the point is they did a superb job. not only did they grp but they gave superb feel and steering precison.

If anyone else has track tested their lexus on a hgh end tyre I would loeve to hear from them. until then Iam quite confdent in my choice as they have seen extremes that nobody elses has.

On that note, is anyone else putting 300bhp through their tyres? if so, what brand do they recomend?

Norkep, You have around 300bhp in yours don't you? What is your tyre of choice?

Zee, you have alot of power. what do you transmit it to the tarmoac with?

Loz

Loz,

What tyres are you using?

With regards to 300bhp I used Bridgestone SO-2 (now SO-3) on my Supra which was standard at 326bhp. Excellent grip (probably the best road tyre in wet or dry) but wear rate is high and also noise. They are not really suited to the GS, I have them on the front of mine but the noise is not right and the GS doesn't have the handling to make full use of them.

Hi. I don't find my tyres (MK1 GS300) to be really expensive. Put two Pirelli P6000s on 18/06/03. Total price £208.84 including valves, off vehicle balancing (taking care caus the wheels have just been refurbished at £85.00 each - but worth every penny!!!) and including the dreaded VAT. You just gotta shop around!

If you can find me a set of ZR rated 275x35x18 for £208.84 inc VAT - I'll have two now!!

Loz,

What tyres are you using?

With regards to 300bhp I used Bridgestone SO-2 (now SO-3) on my Supra which was standard at 326bhp. Excellent grip (probably the best road tyre in wet or dry) but wear rate is high and also noise. They are not really suited to the GS, I have them on the front of mine but the noise is not right and the GS doesn't have the handling to make full use of them.

That's odd - I've been using the S03 on my GS for a while now and find them much quieter that the Eagle F1s I had on there before.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links