Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is300 Engine Oil Change

stevlee

Hi all, Just done my first engine oil change on the is300. I have put in approx 4.8L from a 5L of Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic engine oil but i am finding it very difficult from the dip stick to tell if have put in enough oil or not.

When the engine is running, I have oil spray on the dip stick between the min and max, but when I wipe clean the dip stick and re-insert when the engine is still running , I get oil on the min reading.

If the engine is off and idle for 5min as the lexus booklet says to get a true reading, then I don't even get a reading on the min or max at all, no oil on the dip stick.

However the low engine oil and oil pressure lights both goes off when the engine is started, sure there must be oil in there? Checked the floor its not dripping oil, I would know if 4L of oil is gushing out.

I have done my own engine oil change many time on the civic with 10w-40 semi synthetic and the dip stick there always gives me a correct reading after an oil change, so i am a bit puzzled.

If you can tell me how much oil you normally put in and if this is your normal experience after an oil change, just a bit worried driving it currently :)

Thanks...

Hi all, Just done my first engine oil change on the is300. I have put in approx 4.8L from a 5L of Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic engine oil but i am finding it very difficult from the dip stick to tell if have put in enough oil or not.

When the engine is running, I have oil spray on the dip stick between the min and max, but when I wipe clean the dip stick and re-insert when the engine is still running , I get oil on the min reading.

If the engine is off and idle for 5min as the lexus booklet says to get a true reading, then I don't even get a reading on the min or max at all, no oil on the dip stick.

However the low engine oil and oil pressure lights both goes off when the engine is started, sure there must be oil in there? Checked the floor its not dripping oil, I would know if 4L of oil is gushing out.

I have done my own engine oil change many time on the civic with 10w-40 semi synthetic and the dip stick there always gives me a correct reading after an oil change, so i am a bit puzzled.

If you can tell me how much oil you normally put in and if this is your normal experience after an oil change, just a bit worried driving it currently :)

Thanks...

hi,you should have checked your dipstick as you were pouring in the oil,the best way to get a proper reading is when the engine is cold not when its warm or with the engine running.What you have put in should be okay and you can always top it up if need be once you have got a proper reading.

freezing cold outside but just checked, 4.8L will only bring the dip stick up to 1/4 way between the min and max... I have now poured the rest of the 0.2L in and its just under 1/2 way. Will have to get more engine oil this afternoon. Just surprise the sump takes so much oil.

Thanks for the advise in checking the oil in the morning, so much clearer.

• 10 years later...

Hi all I have a lexus is200 with almost 300k on the clock I recently met a block and he suggested to do engine oil flush only because I told him that when my car is driving up a hill it is very sluggish and only does 20k/h which is concerning. I have never done an engine oil flush so need help with some advice.

Should I do my own engine flush or just take it to the mechanics and let him know the situation about what the car is doing 

Do you have a manual or auto transmission? When you go up hill what does the engine rev up to, and what gear are you in?

I don't see how an engine flush is going to solve this issue - there is something else wrong.

An engine flush will do absolutely nothing,its basically an oil change(with an engine flush - additive added to your old engine oil and car warmed up and then drained)before new engine oil is put in 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links