Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance - Wtf Is Going On?

Mine has gone up from £35 a month to £57! That is after a £40 a year discount!

Last year Saga were right out of the ball park.

NFU gave the best all round last year.

Auto Direct offer £333.76.

I find that as soon as you go through the hoops they suddenly don't want to cover you!

I was told that it was down to whether there had been a claim in your post code, for your vehicle type, within a certain period and nothing to do with anything else!

Methinks they make it up as they go along !!

Totally incomprehensible and that's the way they want to keep it ...... bit like bankers and their bonuses, especially with the banks owned by us, Joe Public !

We are destined NEVER to be able to understand what is going on with any of this.

Malc

Methinks they make it up as they go along !!

Totally incomprehensible and that's the way they want to keep it ...... bit like bankers and their bonuses, especially with the banks owned by us, Joe Public !

We are destined NEVER to be able to understand what is going on with any of this.

Malc

A PUBLIC INQUIRY is what is needed badly and urgently.

Mike

Phew, at least I'm not the only one who thinks insurance prices have gone crazy...

A lot of it looks to be postcode related: CH44 will cost me over £1k, CH3 would be less than £400. Looks like I might have to insure it at my mother's address then - no use if it gets stolen from outside my CH44 address, but at least I'd be covered if I bumped someone.

Someone mentioned Adrian Flux & Sky Insurance - neither of whom I've actually phoned, I'll give both a try, thanks. I have had insurance through Flux before now, so they can be competitive in some circumstances.

I'd be interested to know how many LS400s get stolen. I can't see them appealing to "the kidz" who typically steal cars (they go for silly hot hatches, shurely?); it's not like it's a "steal to order" car these days, given the sub-£1k price tag for a decent motor; and they never did have the "cachet" of a big Merc or BMW (despite being better than both IMHO).... so as far as I can tell, despite my 10 year NCB, I'm being penalised purely because I live in a postcode which is also occupied by corsa-stealing scumbags who'd never touch my car...

Grrr.

Corsa stealing scumbags are maybe akin to the Insurance Premium stealing Scumbags too.

These " professionals " as they call themselves no doubt, need a great big kick up the arse to get themselves into the realms of ethics and the like.

I, like all of us, hate being ripped of and we just KNOW that's what's happening to us right now ...... they should be criminalised.

Malc

Phew, at least I'm not the only one who thinks insurance prices have gone crazy...

A lot of it looks to be postcode related: CH44 will cost me over £1k, CH3 would be less than £400. Looks like I might have to insure it at my mother's address then - no use if it gets stolen from outside my CH44 address, but at least I'd be covered if I bumped someone.

Someone mentioned Adrian Flux & Sky Insurance - neither of whom I've actually phoned, I'll give both a try, thanks. I have had insurance through Flux before now, so they can be competitive in some circumstances.

I'd be interested to know how many LS400s get stolen. I can't see them appealing to "the kidz" who typically steal cars (they go for silly hot hatches, shurely?); it's not like it's a "steal to order" car these days, given the sub-£1k price tag for a decent motor; and they never did have the "cachet" of a big Merc or BMW (despite being better than both IMHO).... so as far as I can tell, despite my 10 year NCB, I'm being penalised purely because I live in a postcode which is also occupied by corsa-stealing scumbags who'd never touch my car...

Grrr.

Insurance is certainly post code related. My quote this year for a 93 LS is £212 fully comp with no claim protection(Saga)which I'm more than happy with. What made me laugh is the last quote on Comparethemarket.com. £1,650 without a courtesy car!!

I wonder how much would be needed to start up our own insurance company only insuring lexs?

There is "Lexus Motor Insurance" already in existence.

I switched to them from C.I.S. back in 2005 when they halved my renewal quote for my modified IS200.

Stuck with them ever since and now my 'old git' age seems to be working in my favour :blink:

Not sure if any help but here's a no. for them 0800 1383200

TG

Thanks for that info Tony, hopefully that will help lots of people with the current high prices. I was shocked to hear about the sudden price hikes people were experiencing as my trade insurance is lower than some quotes people were getting to insure just one car! No doubt I will receive a kick in the nads when mine comes up for renewal in Feb next year!

Mind you, at least windscreen cover is included in private insurance, something I lack on my policy and yes you guessed it, just got a chip in my windscreen for the first time in years! Sods law!

Off topic but has anyone tried the chip repair halfrauds sell for £30? Any good?

Thanks for that info Tony, hopefully that will help lots of people with the current high prices. I was shocked to hear about the sudden price hikes people were experiencing as my trade insurance is lower than some quotes people were getting to insure just one car! No doubt I will receive a kick in the nads when mine comes up for renewal in Feb next year!

Mind you, at least windscreen cover is included in private insurance, something I lack on my policy and yes you guessed it, just got a chip in my windscreen for the first time in years! Sods law!

Off topic but has anyone tried the chip repair halfrauds sell for £30? Any good?

Mind you, at least windscreen cover is included in private insurance,

Yes but you have to pay the first £70 of that these days.

Most screens at trade are a lot cheaper than that, once again greediness of the corp fat cats at work.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Abs, who do you get your trade insurance with, and are there any specific conditions that a "non motor dealer" would struggle to meet, e.g. would i _have_ to buy/sell 6 cars/year to qualify, or could I claim to be a custom car builder & turn out 1 every 2 years...? I have a business address, and all the other trappings (only sole trader status though).

FWIW, by "tweaking" the values on confused.com, I can squeeze my insurance down to about £700, the following may help:

1) Being married/common-law/civil partnership knocks about £90 quid off the premium - even without your partner on the insurance

2) The best value for your car is about £3500 - premiums go UP if you value it at less...

3) Parking on the road is cheaper than in a garage (I kid you not)

4) Adding a tracker adds £80/year to the premium!

5) Being 48 saves around £100 compared to being 38...

Postcode is still the biggie. e.g. CH3 (a nice, relatively quiet and prosperous postcode south of Chester) attracts a quote roughly 50% cheaper than CH44 (a postcode thick with scallies and thieves)... The trouble is, while I can probably get away with all my other "tweaks", the postcode's a bit tricky.

It's still bloody annoying to be paying more than the value of the car in annual insurance premiums.... but I suppose I spend more than the value of the car in petrol every year, so mustn't grumble too much. It could have been a 1.1 diesel corsa, and then I'd have been REALLY miserable...

The proof that this is more profit-driven than before is that there are no fixed premiums any more. If you ring for a quote, the company doesn't tell you its price. They ask, 'How much have you been quoted already?' and then try to match it. In other words, their best price is flexible, which means that some people MUST be overpaying for the same level of cover.

If they ever ask me that, I tell 'em about £400... if they can get anywhere near that I'll bite their arm off...

The other day a colleague was told that the renewal premium for her smart car had shot up (despite her 13 years NCD) because the smart is a 'cult car'! That's the feeblest excuse for an insurance rip-off I've yet heard, but you've almost got to admire their nerve for trying it.

The other day a colleague was told that the renewal premium for her smart car had shot up (despite her 13 years NCD) because the smart is a 'cult car'! That's the feeblest excuse for an insurance rip-off I've yet heard, but you've almost got to admire their nerve for trying it.

If that doesn't work they will come back " It's a performance car because its turbocharged/supercharged" .... attached to a 600cc engine! :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links