Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Mk 3 Ls 400 Owner: Some Questions

Hello,

Firstly thanks for the help I have been recieving re this car I have bought and a slight engine problem. Won't rev beyond 4000 RPM Hopefully this will soon be resolved.

I have a few questions, I have been through the Owners manual and done quite a bit of searching...

1) The Alarm fob will lock the car and I hear a beep but won't unlock it, is this just a case of a new fob Battery?

2) The spare wheel is held in place by a standard screw type device but does not reach the bolt on the boot floor, it's as if it's too short. The spare is a Lexus type and the right way up BTW.

3) At this stage the car has 225 45Z R17 tyres on. This seems a bit of a low profile. The car rides OK but when it comes to time to change them I will be getting something a bit more normal. In the meantime is there a recommendation for a tyre pressure, or should I go which whats in the manual?

4) The car came with a Motorola carphone. There is a box in the boot which looks like it is the main unit for this and from earlier reading I think it takes only the larger type SIM cards. I am tempted to try this but the unit won't switch on, does it switch on somewhere else or should I start checking fuses...Also, is it even worth bothering and is the unit worth anything?

Finally I have to say I got this car quite cheap and was slightly forced into it (my previous car expired) I was looking at LS 400s but didn't really want to rush. For the money I paid, I am very happy with it (have wanted one for years).

Hello,

Firstly thanks for the help I have been recieving re this car I have bought and a slight engine problem. Won't rev beyond 4000 RPM Hopefully this will soon be resolved.

I have a few questions, I have been through the Owners manual and done quite a bit of searching...

1) The Alarm fob will lock the car and I hear a beep but won't unlock it, is this just a case of a new fob battery?

2) The spare wheel is held in place by a standard screw type device but does not reach the bolt on the boot floor, it's as if it's too short. The spare is a Lexus type and the right way up BTW.

3) At this stage the car has 225 45Z R17 tyres on. This seems a bit of a low profile. The car rides OK but when it comes to time to change them I will be getting something a bit more normal. In the meantime is there a recommendation for a tyre pressure, or should I go which whats in the manual?

4) The car came with a Motorola carphone. There is a box in the boot which looks like it is the main unit for this and from earlier reading I think it takes only the larger type SIM cards. I am tempted to try this but the unit won't switch on, does it switch on somewhere else or should I start checking fuses...Also, is it even worth bothering and is the unit worth anything?

Finally I have to say I got this car quite cheap and was slightly forced into it (my previous car expired) I was looking at LS 400s but didn't really want to rush. For the money I paid, I am very happy with it (have wanted one for years).

Hi with reference to the wheels, the 17" are dhp wheels not the standard 16" that would explain the spare not fitting properly in the boot, your tyres should be 245/45/17s the extra 20mm width will increase the profile by 9mm, I like michelins as they are fairly quiet last well & give good grip in the wet, I hate pirellis as they dont grip at all in the wet & wear out really fast. Good luck with your car & welcome Mark

Hello,

1) The Alarm fob will lock the car and I hear a beep but won't unlock it, is this just a case of a new fob battery?

Hi with reference to the wheels, the 17" are dhp wheels not the standard 16" that would explain the spare not fitting properly in the boot, your tyres should be 245/45/17s the extra 20mm width will increase the profile by 9mm, I like michelins as they are fairly quiet last well & give good grip in the wet, I hate pirellis as they dont grip at all in the wet & wear out really fast. Good luck with your car & welcome Mark

Thanks Mark.

I have fitted a new Battery in the alarm fob and now that works 100% For ref. its a 2016 Battery, (£4.15 for 2)

Hello,

The correct tyre size for the DHP wheel is 245/50R17 :)

When you say right way up for the spare, do you mean the face of the wheel is faceing the boot floor?

Andy

Hello,

The correct tyre size for the DHP wheel is 245/50R17 :)

When you say right way up for the spare, do you mean the face of the wheel is faceing the boot floor?

Andy

Yep, it is. It looks like the bolt is too short.

Standard tyres for the Ser 3 were Dunlop Sport (Japanese issue, not German!) But other folk have posted -see Archive topics here. Falkens? I can't recall.

I just read some not-too- happy comments on Citroen C6 site about Michelins sidewalls cracking early.......

As to tyre in boot. Well, it's not going to GO far, even if not screwed down......

I'm currently using Falken 912's in 235/50 x17's on my dhp. I did consider 55 profiles, but I've been really impressed with my choice so far. It makes the car very sure footed on the road in current Scottish road conditions (mainly WET).

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting as the car does ride quite firm but I understand the DHP wasn't offered on the MK 3. My car was first resistered August 1997.

This is interesting as the car does ride quite firm but I understand the DHP wasn't offered on the MK 3. My car was first resistered August 1997.

DHP was an option on the MK3 ;)

Andy

DHP was an option on the MK3 ;)

Andy

Thanks Andy, this explains a lot. The ride is quite firm and I was suprised when I first drove it how un-'barge'-like it was. It must have the DHP.

I believe the original spec tyres were DUNLOP D8z's.

Yes. There was a slight difference between original (Made in Japan) Dunlops and the German ones. I imported the proper ones which I still use, though not for long as I've had them 6 years.

My recent scans on here from others seem to favour Falkens or Avons, though I guess the Dunlops are no problem.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure DHP wasn't around until Ser 4.

If I were to call the original Lexus dealer who supplied the car and quote the the VIN, would they be able to confirm the spec? or is there another way?

On the subject of tyres, once the other issues are dealt with I'll be putting new ones on.

in my experience you can call any lexus dealer with your VIN number and they should be able to tell you which suspension was fitted - when i was looking for a Mark 4, i came across one which had aftermarket alloys fitted, the dealer couldnt tell me wether it was DHP or not, I then rang the local dealer with the Reg and they confirmed it had Dynamic Handling Pack fitted

HTH

regards

miq

The suspension is a little bit of a mystery. I called the dealer who originally supplied the vehicle and they don't have info this far back.

It has 5 DHP alloys but the bolt isn't long enough to hold the spare down. So that leads me to believe they were fitted after purchase...

It certainly is a firm ride though.

• 1 month later...

At this stage the car has 225 45Z R17 tyres on. This seems a bit of a low profile. The car rides OK but when it comes to time to change them I will be getting something a bit more normal. In the meantime is there a recommendation for a tyre pressure, or should I go which whats in the manual?

Hello again, I have spoken to the local tyre depot and have ben advised to get Dunlop 235 / 45 / 17 (£120 fully fitted).

What I am interested in is owners views of tyres noise. These are a little bigger so may help with the ride but I don't want to spend nearly £500 if they are more noisy. Currently the car has Kumho on the front and a brand like 'Sport-One' / 'Achilles' on the back (in other words cheapos).

Obvious (and already alluded to earlier) but the Spare tyre goes in outer-face DOWN in the boot (so the 'well' of the wheel can accept the tool caddy, if you have one) I would have thought that the screw wouldn't be THAT short not to fix a wheel, DHP or not?

Here's my two-pennyworth... [Oh my, now that I have worked out how to access this site again after over a year, I'm wondering why I left it so long.]

On my just-sold LS400 Mk3, I had a Falken on one side and and a Dunlop Sport on the other, with same tread depth. In wet or dry the Dunlop would spin and shriek whilst the Falken would not. And the Dunlop was on the left side which is normally less prone to spinning as the engine rotates to the left.

Why do engines always turn anti-clockwise (when viewed from the rear?).

I'm advised that Dunlop D8Zs are no longer made and that the Falkens at @£100 a corner is the likely best alternative ( handling, comfort, safety, wear and all those issues ) to original equipment Dunlops.

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links