Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi guys.

i have a 1996 lexus gs300 sport mk1 with the 9 spoke alloy wheels and over a course of a month or a few weeks i have to keep pumping the tyres up as they loose a few pounds of air is there anything i can do so the tyres stay up all the time.i have had the tyres check by a tyre company and i have no punctures.if anyone can give any help.

thanks kev.

its all four tyres.

hi guys.

i have a 1996 lexus gs300 sport mk1 with the 9 spoke alloy wheels and over a course of a month or a few weeks i have to keep pumping the tyres up as they loose a few pounds of air is there anything i can do so the tyres stay up all the time.i have had the tyres check by a tyre company and i have no punctures.if anyone can give any help.

thanks kev.

How many of your tyres are affected?

hi guys.

thanks kev.

How many of your tyres are affected?

hi its all four tyres.

i used to work gor a tyre company i would say go to a local tyre company and ask the to reseal the tyres as sometimes the beading can loosen it can be due to not haven sealent fitted in the first place commonly with part worn tyre or not having the inside of the rim cleaned before applying new tyres once you have that done if the problem occurs then it might be due to the fact that the tyre might have deformed in some way if its a brand new tyre you will still have warrenty against defects

hi guys.

thanks kev.

its all four tyres.

How do your alloys look?, if they have started to corrode then it could possibly be that.

Had a similar issue on my Focus which persisted after getting new tyres ...

I think with mine it was down to kerbing the alloy (cutting corner in car park :eerrrmm: ) Only thing I can think of with it being all 4 tyres is potential damage from one of those trapezoidal pattern speed bumps that are infesting the roads these days. I'm thinking of damage to the inner part of the wheel there.

Also worth considering, if you don't have them already, are tamper proof valve caps in case you have a yokel having fun at your expense ...

It's tricky to diagnose though, with the Focus I got two places to look at its offending alloy wheel. First was Kwikfit (never again!) and the second was Carcraft (same - but I'd prepaid for services) so more competent people might see something on your alloys where Kwikfit & Carcraft didn't.

All tyres lose pressure over a period of time as the bead to rim seal is never 100% or the valve 100% airtight normal losses are 1-2 PSI a week hence the need for weekly checks.

If the rim sealing surface is corroded,common on older rims,even with sealant they may not seal adequately.

My local tyre fitter has in the past used a rotary air wire brush to clean up the rim before fitting the tyres and they have always been OK so it may be the same case with yours,the leakage past here is so slight that putting the wheel completely under water will not show any leaks.

All tyres lose pressure over a period of time as the bead to rim seal is never 100% or the valve 100% airtight normal losses are 1-2 PSI a week hence the need for weekly checks.

I've never lost that much on a good wheel/tyre with everything as it should be. I check every couple of weeks, but rarely have to top up. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't call it normal.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links