Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is there a pattern to what cars have the part wood gear knobs?

Seems a bit random to me, and a search wasn't forthcoming.

Off to look at a mk4 tomorrow, fingers crossed it's as good as it seems, and I'll be wafting back along the M4 in comfort.

You are right there is no pattern - just a questions wether it was requested when it left the factory - the woodpack certainly does make the car stand out - it took me a long time to find one with wood steering and gearknob however i must say the steering can be a tad slippery on cold mornings.

Heres what to look out for:

1) Make sure it has full service history or atleast that the cambelt has been changed recently- this is a big and expensive job

2) Listen out for unwanted noises/clunks from the suspension

3) Make sure no warnng lights on the dash and all electrics work

4) Make sure bonnet struts hold the bonnet up

5) Make sure no water ingress in the boot

6) Ideally you need to have both remote keys and the grey vanity key and that they work with the car

7) Make sure you find out the satnav security password if it has one otherwise it will be useless if the Battery is disconnected

hope this helps

Is there a pattern to what cars have the part wood gear knobs?

Seems a bit random to me, and a search wasn't forthcoming.

Off to look at a mk4 tomorrow, fingers crossed it's as good as it seems, and I'll be wafting back along the M4 in comfort.

I wasnt keen on the wood & leather steering wheel as they are in certain weathers very slippery but did like the gearknob. I bought one off good ol fleabay.

It took a while as most of them came up for around £80+ and also they were in the States which meant high P&P and the import duties eventualy got one for £30 incl P&P.

Mike

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Agreed about the gearknob being more desirable than the steering wheel, unfortunately mine came with neither, but the leather one is in good nick, so fine for now.

As you'll gather, I bought the car, well, I actually did a straight swop for my MX5 with a few goodies my way.

FSH - all Lexus bar one - belt not due for a couple of years - 2 owner car - 13 months mot, 12 months tax, looks a generally well cared for car.

Interesting to see wet boot mentioned, known issue is it?

That was the only fault I found, I intend to investigate soon, but any pointers are always helpful.

As to the drive, very nice indeed, especially compared to the outward journey in the Mazda, not really the ideal car for 100 miles of motorway.

Hi Mikey V,

with regard to your leaky boot I have just had to fix mine.

I got a puncture and had to use the spare wheel, when I lifted the boot floor cover I was stunned to find 2 inches of water sloshing around in the spare wheel well and the drivers side compartment next to the wheel well. The reason I was surprised was that the boot floor cover was bone dry. On further inspection the water was creeping over the seal at the low point of the boot opening (near the right hand side of the edge of the number plate) and running down into the wheel well without touching the boot floor cover.

To fix the problem I have stuck some draught excluder on the boot lid to compress the boot seal. I have tested it by pouring jugs if water all round the boot lid and pressure washing the car as well as the car sitting under all the snow for a couple of days. So far, so good, the wheel well is bone dry.

I hope this helps you out.

Steve.

You also have to be careful if parking with the car facing down hill as water collects at the corners of the boot drain channels nearest the rear windscreen ( where the 2 plastic corner mouldings fit) then overflows into the boot.

Some have drilled holes in the corners and fitted drain tubes.

Hi take the seal off clean it & the lip it fits on to, Run a bead of silicone on the lip & pop the seal back on , Fixed mine 4 years ago like this & its been dry ever since. PS enjoy the car I still love mine after 4 years.

Plenty of ideas there, thanks to all for taking the trouble.

Picked Mrs V up from work tonight, when we got home we were outside the house for over half an hour while she played with the seats.

She's not impressed with the parking brake though, bless her.

Plenty of ideas there, thanks to all for taking the trouble.

Picked Mrs V up from work tonight, when we got home we were outside the house for over half an hour while she played with the seats.

She's not impressed with the parking brake though, bless her.

To much information me thinks.

Enjoy motoring paradise.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links