Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

This weather is higlighting the fact that my car leaks if parked on a slight down-hill slope.

I have traced it to the sunroof seal. The sunroof opens and closes correctly but the rubber seal at the two rear corners does not reach the metal work. I can even see through the gap. I've tried leaving the sunroof to rest in a different position but the gaps still there(only about 1mm).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Would a new seal sort it out?

What are the seals like to replace?

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Ed

Hi

This weather is higlighting the fact that my car leaks if parked on a slight down-hill slope.

I have traced it to the sunroof seal. The sunroof opens and closes correctly but the rubber seal at the two rear corners does not reach the metal work. I can even see through the gap. I've tried leaving the sunroof to rest in a different position but the gaps still there(only about 1mm).

Thanks

Ed

I only know from my own experience that the drain holes at the corners very often bung up and a simple feeding through of a delicate wire or whatever to poke them through worked for me !

Don't let the wire snap tho' !

Good luck.

Malc

Hi

Thanks

Ed

Hi

Thanks

Ed

I only know from my own experience that the drain holes at the corners very often bung up and a simple feeding through of a delicate wire or whatever to poke them through worked for me !

Don't let the wire snap tho' !

Good luck.

Malc

As malc says there are four drain holes one to each corner of the sump that sits under your roof and is there to catch the ingress of water through the sunroof which is not designed to be water tight.

the drainholes are not accessable from the sunroof area and can only be accessed from the roof side by removing the roof liner and all of the garnishes .Do not attempt this without a workshop manual. you will end up in tears.The front drain holes are positioned adjacent to the windscreen pillars and connect to a drain tube that exits inside the front wing virtually inaccessable unless you remove the front wing.The rear drain pipes exit down the rear windscreen pillars and emerge in the wheel wells at each side of the boot floor they are black plastic tubes and connect to the copper drains inside the wing.

These are the ones to wire clear and even if the front ones are blocked if you park the car with the inclination to the rear your problem will dissapear.

Fantastic advice and information guys. That really is a great help. I had no idea about the sump and assumed the sunroof was supposed to be water tight.

I'll have a go at clearing those channels/pipes.

Many thanks once again.

You've inspired me to take out Gold Membership(any excuse)

Ed

I have heard that a good "drain rod" for unblocking the tubes is some of that thicker type nylon strimmer cord, its strong enough not to break but flexible enough to go around the bends.

I got mine from one of the pound shops.

You may also find if the car is parked facing downhill water collects in the corners of the boot seal nearest the rear screen which can overflow the channel and into the boot, some members have drilled holes in the corners and fitted drain tubes.

It could be worse, my last car had leaky fuel pump pipes until I replaced them. If you parked nose down it was fine, nose up and the fuel would drain back to the tank, letting air in.

Many a Battery was discharged trying to purge that air before I sorted it :)

Hi Gents

I had a look and the drainage whole at the front near side exit(where it leaked) and it was completely blocked at the top. The previous owner who sold the car for scrap was told it was an unsolvable condensation issue. :wacko:

Many thanks once again

Ed

• 10 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links