Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Filling Up Cost?

Hi Guys,

Just about to purchase an RX400h from car giant tomorrow morning after test driving it at the weekend, was very impressed!

One thing the sales guys did not know was how much it would cost to fill up from empty at the petrol station? Can anyone shed any light on this for me just so I know please!

Many thanks!!

Ian

I've had my RX400h for about a month now and I've just filled it up for the 3rd time. I'm filling it up when the light comes on as it's a new car to me so not risking running out. It has taken 52.86 litres, 54.72 litres and 52.72 litres on the fill ups but I was told it had a 65 litre tank so plenty to spare. multiply it by your local fuel cost, mine has been 139.9,138.9 and last one 134.9. so £74, £76 and £71 more or less :)

hope this info helps

I've had my RX400h for about a month now and I've just filled it up for the 3rd time. I'm filling it up when the light comes on as it's a new car to me so not risking running out. It has taken 52.86 litres, 54.72 litres and 52.72 litres on the fill ups but I was told it had a 65 litre tank so plenty to spare. multiply it by your local fuel cost, mine has been 139.9,138.9 and last one 134.9. so £74, £76 and £71 more or less :)

hope this info helps

Thank you both for the replies, filling up for the 3rd time in a month?? Sounds thirsty!!

if it's a 75l tank my fuel gauge must be broken :)

I get 2 weeks out of a tank and am averaging about 24mpg. I'm not driving it as I should as I'm still in the mindset of my last car, which did 14mpg and had 140BHP more than the RX, that cost £25 more to fill up and did 70 miles less per tank so I'm still happy.

Thanks Martin, I will be using it for mainly motorway journeys but we had our 1st baby in Jan so wanted a bigger family car for my peace of mind, hopefully the MPG will be about 30ish if I adjust my style accordingly!

How many miles are you generally getting out of a tank? About 450??

nowhere near 450.. about 280 on average but I'm sure it'll get better when I adjust my driving style and if I can work out how long I can go after the fuel light comes on.

Had my RX400h for about 2 months now, I am averaging 30mpg around town with careful driving, that's not driving slow, just smoothly and anticipating the traffic infront.

What I would say is that if you buy a car like the RX400h you have to take the mpg it gives! There are plenty of "big" cars out there that will give better mpg but they won't be a Lexus...

According to the owners manual, tank capacity is 65 litres. I've had mt 400h for nearly three years and I get beteen 28 and 32 mpg. The lower figure in winter and the higher in summer. I drive about 10,000 miles per annum on all types of roads and would not consider myself to be a slow driver.

Blimey I didn't realise it was that low!!! Oooops...

Does anyone else have any feedback on how many miles they are getting out of a full tank, my driving style will generally be like a pensioner! (speed limits) all feedback is very helpful.

If you get 30mpg then I think it would be good going. It's a big car so expect it not to be the best. I get about 25mpg out of my '300 but when I had a '400 for a couple of weeks that only managed just under 30mpg - but I do mostly motorway driving...

Hello,

I am not going to really answer your question here !!

I really do not see the point in purchasing any Hybrid vehicle unless you are doing a lot of "about town" driving and doing less than 40 MPH, as the electric motor only kicks in at that speed or less. If you are going to do a lot of motorway miles and REALLY want a RX then I would go for a Lexus 350, otherwise, you are driving round in a very heavy hybrid car thinking that it is economical !!!

Okay, there are benefits such as the car tax, emissions, doing your part for the planet etc etc.

I have a friend who bought a 400h without doing his homework and rarely benefits from the electric motor part of the car and the MPG is crap !!

I just wish I was in a position to change my RX300 for a RX350 and in my opinion, this generation car has the bset shape and looks.

Well part of my job could be driving into london or from surrey to Manchester etc so I wanted a car that was comfortable and had a decent mpg, I also have a baby so when we go out for the day I wanted a bigger car to protect him in case of accidents.

So from what I gather, if I drive in the "right" style, I could get about 320 miles on a tank, not too bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I've just been on holiday for a week in Wales and have done 655 miles. The first tankful returned 30.21 mpg and I managed to get 355 miles from it before the light came on. On the return trip I was in a hurry to get home so didn't think of fuel economy and I've done 300 miles and have just under a quarter of a tank left so expect to have slightly lower mpg (326 miles @ 26.86mpg). I'm very happy with that as most of the week was up and down twisty welsh mountain roads.

Hi,

I have owned my 400h for about 9 months now. It is a 2006 (56 reg) car and has done 31000 miles. I drive it like a "fairy" not accelerating hard and not exceeding any speed limits. My driving is mostly on A roads in country areas and if I am very very careful I manage about 32 mpg in warm weather. If I use a motorway then this mpg imeadiately drops. I would NOT recomend it for someone who is going to do a lot of motorway driving. My previous car was an ancient (143,000 mile) Mercedes 270 ML Diesel. I just used to drive it useing all its performance and also towing a large car transporter trailer (about once a month). The Merc averaged 28 mpg without me giving it a second thought as to how I was using it. It had a towing capacity of 3.5 tons and was extremely competant in snow and ice, it was smooth and quiet and comfortable. The Lexus max towing capacity is 2 tons. I have yet to try driving it in snow or ice and I have not bothered to fit a tow bar so I have no Idea what the towing fuel consumption would be (Be interested to hear from anyone who has towing experience). On balance although the Lexus is nice to drive it is not an economical vehicle or I fear a very capable one in extreme conditions. The "touque steer" from the predomenantly front wheel drive under hard acceleration is in my opinion dangerous. I believe the Hybrid technology of the Lexus is a wrong turn and the best way to go is for the present is more economical and cleaner straight ic powered cars. On balance the Lexus is a big disapointment and I feel that Lexus are less than honest with their economy claims.

Chris

Hi,

I have owned my 400h for about 9 months now. It is a 2006 (56 reg) car and has done 31000 miles. I drive it like a "fairy" not accelerating hard and not exceeding any speed limits. My driving is mostly on A roads in country areas and if I am very very careful I manage about 32 mpg in warm weather. If I use a motorway then this mpg imeadiately drops. I would NOT recomend it for someone who is going to do a lot of motorway driving. My previous car was an ancient (143,000 mile) Mercedes 270 ML Diesel. I just used to drive it useing all its performance and also towing a large car transporter trailer (about once a month). The Merc averaged 28 mpg without me giving it a second thought as to how I was using it. It had a towing capacity of 3.5 tons and was extremely competant in snow and ice, it was smooth and quiet and comfortable. The Lexus max towing capacity is 2 tons. I have yet to try driving it in snow or ice and I have not bothered to fit a tow bar so I have no Idea what the towing fuel consumption would be (Be interested to hear from anyone who has towing experience). On balance although the Lexus is nice to drive it is not an economical vehicle or I fear a very capable one in extreme conditions. The "touque steer" from the predomenantly front wheel drive under hard acceleration is in my opinion dangerous. I believe the Hybrid technology of the Lexus is a wrong turn and the best way to go is for the present is more economical and cleaner straight ic powered cars. On balance the Lexus is a big disapointment and I feel that Lexus are less than honest with their economy claims.

Chris

The RX400h was never positioned as the most economical 4x4, certainly not against 3l diesel engines. In its power class, 4+ litre V8 engines with automatic transmission, it has excellent economy. I'm currently averaging 33.5 mpg on my current tank, compared with an RX300 I wouldn't be getting over 27mpg.

Have owned my 2009 RX400h for 6 months. Over the cold months, when the petrol engine was often running just to keep the operating temperature above the threshold, the economy struggled to get above 27 on mixed town/country roads. A motorway thrash easily got it down below 25. In the recent, warmer months it seems to average around 29-30 except for one tankful where I was super careful and got it above 33. It's really crucial to master the hybrid driving technique of pressing and lifting the accelerator pedal if you want to maximize the economy.

The RX400h was never positioned as the most economical 4x4, certainly not against 3l diesel engines. In its power class, 4+ litre V8 engines with automatic transmission, it has excellent economy. I'm currently averaging 33.5 mpg on my current tank, compared with an RX300 I wouldn't be getting over 27mpg.

The Range Rover Sport 5.0 v8 has similar performance to the RX400h (0-60 in 7.6 seconds) but only does 20mpg :innocent:

Mine is a 58 plate (Executive Limited Edition) that I have now owned for a couple of months. Over that period, I have averaged 29mpg, but without compromising my enjoyment of the car: each time I climb in the driver's seat, I promise myself that I am going to try and get the best MPG I can... but I just can't help myself!

To mirror previous comments: you cannot compare the car to a 3.0L diesel SUV... you need to pitch it against a 4.0L V8. Also, you will not make the most of the hybrid from an economy perspective unless you often drive in town or in heavy traffic.

For me, the main driver (?) for buying a RX400h, was peerless customer service, and utter reliability. So far, I have not looked back and I have been very impressed with my local dealer (Lexus Hedge End, Southampton)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links