Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

One Week With Is220 D

OK, so I go the car last Saturday. I part exchanged my Golf IV. Good buy I must say,

So here my experience for the week.

The car is spotless inside out. One pre owner and it looks like he/she looked after it really well. Not a single scratch or scuff on it. Inside it is spotless as well and not even a single scratch I can see on the console or the steering wheel or door handles. Pretty amazing considering it is 5 years old. Unless the dealer fixed it :-). Whilst at the dealer (actually internet dealer) I asked for test drive for half an hour. I took it for a spin on the A419 and then town. I tested every single button, even the boot light :-) Impressed how smooth it was and obviously I bought it.

Mileage wise, testing in towns and busy hours it returned 32.7.consistently.

I work in Bristol and did the following;

swindon-bristol-swindon, (M4, M32) 5th gear 70-80 it returned 40 mpg.

swindon-bristol-swindon, (M4, M32) 6th gear 80+ (rpm @ 2k) it returned 42.3. NO 6th gear is not slow or useless, I easily over took without changing just don't let rpm drop below 1700 or so and if it drops change to 5th and go.

these trips from swindon center to bristol center.

I haven't tried cruise control yet but tomorrow I will as i have 180 miles journey and my aim is to reach that magic 44mpg.

the ride is fantastic and very comfortable and just like the Golf (and I hate to say that) rock solid at high speed. It is also amazing at roundabouts. I takes it at 40 with ease glued to the road. Never felt so relaxed while driving.

This car is not slow as others try to make it. This is how I drive it, 1st gear just to pull it and immediately change to 2nd and let rpm reach 1500 and fee the power from there on.

This is my experience,and I thought I drop by with some good news :-) I will attach some photos when I have time.

Have a nice holiday all.

• Like 1

OK, here is my final report on this car which I purchased 10 days ago.

I did a journey of 328 miles (both ways). As I said before it is very comfortable on the road and pleasure to drive. It did 43.7 mpg each way driving it at 70-90 mph engaging the 6th gear on 75+ and when the road gets congested I simply change to 5th gear and then back again when the road quiets down. it has a lot of power to give at 4-5 gear, and the 6th gear is for driving comfortably and economically at a set speed and rpm.

so my verdict is that I have made a very good purchase. The car is rock solid,comfortable,consistent and looks great. sure it is not a racer on red lights but I did not buy it for this. I bought it to take me to work (45 miles each way) and be economical and the children love it :-) My advice if you are buying a car is to research what you are buying to make sure it fits your needs cause when people get disappointed they start writing all sort of ****.

Be happy whatever you decide and enjoy it :-)

Note: I haven't tested the cruise control yet :-) and I just can't bring myself to trust it (whatever the car) :-) maybe one day.

cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for the report, the miles per gallon looks very good.

I am the same with cruise control, there are very few occasions where it is worthwhile and safe to use it. The only time I would have liked it was on the upper part of the M6/M74 when travelling to Scotland in the late evening. The odd times I have engaged it I still have my right foot tentatively hovered above the brake pedal which is more uncomfortable than resting it on the accelerator pedal.

It seems unatural and I don't feel in full control of the car which I suppose I'm not really with a computer taking over the speed function.

Thanks for the report, the miles per gallon looks very good.

I am the same with cruise control, there are very few occasions where it is worthwhile and safe to use it. The only time I would have liked it was on the upper part of the M6/M74 when travelling to Scotland in the late evening. The odd times I have engaged it I still have my right foot tentatively hovered above the brake pedal which is more uncomfortable than resting it on the accelerator pedal.

It seems unatural and I don't feel in full control of the car which I suppose I'm not really with a computer taking over the speed function.

you are absolutely right. I am just terrified of letting a computer control it :eerrrmm: especially when you have children in the car. I would have done it if my ex was in it :geek:

(Just kidding) :phone:

Note: I haven't tested the cruise control yet :-) and I just can't bring myself to trust it (whatever the car) :-) maybe one day.

Seriously, fellas get a grip will you!!

Cruise control is so easy to use on these cars. Its brilliant! My only slight grouch would be that the lever is attached to the steering wheel and not the column.. but you only have to touch a pedal and its disengaged immediately.

If you have the slightest collywobbles, get out on a quiet stretch of road and get familiar with the workings... you won't regret it. Speed cameras will not be an issue for you anymore!!

Just engage it, nudge the speed up or down. To disengage pull the lever towards you and its off...instantly.

And the best bit... just watch the mpg go up and up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...5th gear 70-75 mph on a motorway and I regulatly get up to 54mpg.

My wife has mastered its use too. She got 48mpg going from Bournemouth to Chichester and back.

you are absolutely right. I am just terrified of letting a computer control it :eerrrmm:

You're kidding surely... who do think is flying the aeroplane most of the time

Seriously, fellas get a grip will you!!

Cruise control is so easy to use on these cars. Its brilliant! My only slight grouch would be that the lever is attached to the steering wheel and not the column.. but you only have to touch a pedal and its disengaged immediately.

If you have the slightest collywobbles, get out on a quiet stretch of road and get familiar with the workings... you won't regret it. Speed cameras will not be an issue for you anymore!!

Just engage it, nudge the speed up or down. To disengage pull the lever towards you and its off...instantly.

And the best bit... just watch the mpg go up and up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...5th gear 70-75 mph on a motorway and I regulatly get up to 54mpg.

My wife has mastered its use too. She got 48mpg going from Bournemouth to Chichester and back.

you are absolutely right. I am just terrified of letting a computer control it :eerrrmm:

You're kidding surely... who do think is flying the aeroplane most of the time

LOL ... of course you are right...I will ... I am planning a trip ... I am not driving it much now as I am sharing a car from Swindon to Bristol, but on the 25th I start a new job in Oxford then I will do it. thanks for giving me the kick :phone:

• 1 year later...

hello,

I too have just had my IS220d for a week now and must say it's brilliant.

have got it booked in at the main dealers next week to give it a full service +plus at a cost of £350 inc vat.

was told they change all the fillters and oil, brake fluid and anti-freeze. is this a good price or not?

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

It sounds about right for a Lexus Dealer but ask them if they do Gold LOC membership discount :D.

If they do you'll save even after paying a years subscription.

I don't know if the cabin pollen filter is included if due for replacement.

Lexus also normally valet the car while they have it in for servicing and don't forget the complimentary drinks and snacks in reception.

Normski2 the reason I am tentative with the CC is that in normal driving your right foot is on the accelerator pedal and if the need arises it is a naturally acquired movement from there to the brake pedal in the event of an emergency stop for example.

If you foot is removed from the accelerator pedal whilst in cruise control mode is it not possible to hit the wrong pedal in the event of an emergency stop as your right foot is not in it's normal driving position?

Normski2 the reason I am tentative with the CC is that in normal driving your right foot is on the accelerator pedal and if the need arises it is a naturally acquired movement from there to the brake pedal in the event of an emergency stop for example.

If you foot is removed from the accelerator pedal whilst in cruise control mode is it not possible to hit the wrong pedal in the event of an emergency stop as your right foot is not in it's normal driving position?

Can honestly say I have never hit the wrong pedal. I think it becomes intuitive that 'your' foot instinctively goes to that centre pedal. I might add...my run to work and back takes me over the heath where there are free roaming cattle, horses, deer, rabbits and the like. Had three emergency situations in three years. All of them with deer. The old adage runs true for me 'if you see one there will be another close behind'. Never had a mispedal(!) moment yet.

But yes, I accept your comment that it is quite possible to do what you describe.

One could equally swerve to miss a deer and end up in the ditch. I guess in our control of the car (as in just about anything really) we are making continuous risk assessments as we move along.

For me personally I find CC to be an excellent tool. Must admit I was a little hesitant/suspicious when I first had the option of CC in a car. Went out a few times on clear and quiet roads to get the hang of it and feel happy with the lever positions and what they do. Wouldn't want to be without it now.

I like cruise control for long motorway trips, very relaxing, and stops you nudging in to 100+ territory and, these days, possible jail time.

I only use it where conditions are suitable though, ie light traffic where constant cruising speed is possible.

If the traffic is heavy, I don't bother, as it then becomes more trouble than it's worth.

Steve, wherever I rest my feet, they seem to automatically know where the brake pedal is, though I've yet to try reclining the seat and resting them on the dashboard. :innocent:

I really miss cruise when doing long journeys in my camper, I've even considered fitting a kit.

I use cruise control on every motorway journey unless the traffic is really bad. I use it in town too especially in the 50mph speed zone and speed camera hot spots. I am totally addicted to it.

Hi and welcome to Lexus ownership. If you drive your car like an LS owner . . . you will achieve the MPG claimed by Lexus. As you see from my Fuelly, I am achieving above what Lexus' official figures claimed since taking ownership of the vehicle in January.

I use CC on m'ways too and have never hit the wrong pedal when slowing down or braking. if you watch the pedal distance carefully the brake pedal is positioned higher than the accelerator pedal and its more wider in size aswell in automatic cars compared to the accelerator pedal which is smaller and position maybe a centimetre or 2 behind the brake pedal so even in an emergency your foot is likely to depress the brake pedal first before the accelerator pedal when one accidentally aims for the space between the two pedals when intending to brake and any experienced driver wont miss this 90% of the time a new driver? yes likely but not an experienced driver. as experienced driver will 'instinctively' aim their foot to the centre during an emergency situation all times.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links