Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Else Think The Is Is A Bit Tail Happy In The Wet?

Just wanted everyone's thoughts...

Is it me or is the IS quite twitchy in the wet? I can only vouch for my IS300, but when I was coming onto the motorway today from a slip road off a roundabout I put my foot down a bit to build up some speed and the back end came out really easy before the traction control and all the other gizmos pulled it all back in line. Now, I don't think it's my style of driving. I would say its spirited but defo not pedal-to-the-metal. Im wondering if it is the tyres on the car, when I bought it, it had just had 4 brand new ones put on, these were only budget tyres though, thinking of changing em though as this has happened a couple of times.

So... Does anyone else manage to unintentionally get their back end out in the wet, or is it just my crap tyres?????

Cheap tyres that with the wrong pattern will do that, but yeah if there is enough water on the road the IS will whip it's tail out just like any other RWD car for that matter. One of the reasons why you are better of to buy decent quality tires. (the cheap tyres brands also have more expensive ones that are quite good in the rain and quite sticky too)

true, but if u apply the power smoothly insted of dropping it down you really shouldnt find the back coming round. although as said tyres make a huge diffrence, tyres are a massive false economy....cheap as chips...good luck stopping in the wet in an emergency.

know a mate infact that was well chuffed that he got a full set for 100 quid for his leon...then wrote it off hitting someones behind because they were turning off and he didnt see till the last minute, he was sure if he was on his older tyres he could have braked and possibly swerved to miss...

2 lessons...concentration, and dont be a cheapskate.

Hi. Yes the IS can be very interesting in the wet.

My old IS was a 200SE with 17inch wheels and no limited slipp diff at the back. That used to throw its tail in the wet all the time tranction control on or off. I never buy budget tyres. It was on Dunlops.

My current 200 is the Sport with 18inch wheels, 225 Tyres Michelin's and limited slipp diff. I cant get the back out ever in the wet with the tranction control on even in the worst rain! Turn tranction control off in the wet and its slippy as anything, great fun!

Oh and in the dry, even with tranction control off I cant get it sliding. It grips like its on rails. I lose my bottle before the car gives way!

My old IS was a 200SE with 17inch wheels and no limited slipp diff at the back. That used to throw its tail in the wet all the time tranction control on or off. I never buy budget tyres. It was on Dunlops.

My current 200 is the Sport with 18inch wheels, 225 Tyres Michelin's and limited slipp diff. I cant get the back out ever in the wet with the tranction control on even in the worst rain! Turn tranction control off in the wet and its slippy as anything, great fun!

Oh and in the dry, even with tranction control off I cant get it sliding. It grips like its on rails. I lose my bottle before the car gives way!

good to know which garage dealer anyones prefer to shop for tyres?

When I need tyres I call a load garages in my region, get a price for 4 decent make tyres and go to the cheapest.

Found a little garage in rural Wiltshire which I've had my last 2 sets from. Paid £480 for 4 Michelin's and all wheels balanced. Kwik Fit were £600 for the same 4 Michelin Tyres without wheel balance.

Pays to shop around as the IS eats tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I lost my IS200 Sport this morning coming off a roundabout in bad rain! It will let go badly with no warning, I was doing 45-50 in second gear and the back just gave way. Traction control was on and I have brand new Michelin tyres. Spun out completely and ended up facing the other way. Lucky it was 5am and I was the only car on the road! Scared the life out of me tho, drove the rest of the way to work at 30mph!

Having the Geometry sorted made a big difference to my 300SC.

having geometry sorted wont make any difference as I have had mine WIM'd and i spun 90 degrees to the right when approching a runabout doing around 50mph luckicly both vehicle stabilty control and traction control kicked in with loud continous beebs and it cut power to the rear wheels. drivers behind me thought i was tryna show off (drift) little did they know i was in trouble :yahoo: . I think Chris did the 180 degrees because IS200 does not have vehicle stability control. I have now learned to take roundabouts slowing when its wet!!

MY IS200 use to kick out a bit I have know fitted TOYO TR1 and it know holds the road like Glue. very impressed with them. and they are a nice looking tyre that really sets off the lexus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links