Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Explain the difference please

I am currently looking to replace my 220d with an IS250 but am a little confused at some of the vehicle desciptions and would appreciate a little help/guidance please.

Looking through the adverts I have spotted vehicles described as 'Automatic' (self explanatory) 'Semi-Automatic' and CVT.

With these choices available, what are the differences if any and, is there a 'best one' to have. I was wondering if it is just a case of the cars being the same and, that it is just the advertisers describing their vehicles differently.

Also, whilst on the subject of the IS250, what is a 'Navigator'

I shall be going for an 'automatic' of some sort as I have heard that there are not too many manual versions around and, that the auto gives a better return in respect of mpg anyway.

Thank you in advance of any advice.

P.S Looks like I can't spell difference but, I tried to correct it but couldn't get into it, sorry

Edited by TonyGoose
title corrected as required :)

Just advertisers describing the auto differently, it's auto with a manual option using the gear stick or the paddles behind the steering wheel. Even using this option the car will auto change up if you try to exceed the rpm limits in the gears and lock you out with an additional beep warning if you attempt to change down to a lower gear that would cause the rpm to exceed the predetermined limits. It's also got a 'sports' mode that gives the box a more responsive feel (holds in lower gear a tad longer at the expense of fuel consumption).

'Navigator' is no different than the multi media option you have on your 220d, I believe the first generation with the satnav was so described.

You'll like the IS250 auto, it's far superior to the 220d in many ways. Lexus have loaned me a manual 220d 'F-Sport' today (while my IS-F is being serviced), and although the engine has been chipped so it's a lot quicker, I hate driving the thing.

Just advertisers describing the auto differently, it's auto with a manual option using the gear stick or the paddles behind the steering wheel. Even using this option the car will auto change up if you try to exceed the rpm limits in the gears and lock you out with an additional beep warning if you attempt to change down to a lower gear that would cause the rpm to exceed the predetermined limits. It's also got a 'sports' mode that gives the box a more responsive feel (holds in lower gear a tad longer at the expense of fuel consumption).

'Navigator' is no different than the multi media option you have on your 220d, I believe the first generation with the satnav was so described.

You'll like the IS250 auto, it's far superior to the 220d in many ways. Lexus have loaned me a manual 220d 'F-Sport' today (while my IS-F is being serviced), and although the engine has been chipped so it's a lot quicker, I hate driving the thing.

Hi Tango, thank you for your valued explanation, makes life much easier for me when searching for the car. I am probably looking for a 250 from 2005 to possibly 2009, do you know if there were any changes made to the vehicle during this time that would make it preferable to go for a later rather than earlier model, i.e an 08,or 09 over an 05, 06 or 07 for instance. I will definitely be going for the same spec that I have at the moment, SE-L Multimedia.

Thanks again for your help.

Thank you too to TonyGoose for correcting my title, much appreciated.

Not that many mods on the later models, the document type storage in the rear of the front seats were changed from the elasticated top type seen on the 2005/2006 and the switches for the boot and petrol cap release were changed from one above the other to side by side. The 2010 loaner I had this morning had auto folding door mirrors when the doors were locked, and I think from 2008 the doors autolock when 30 mph is reached. A few cosmetic mods also, e.g. turn indicators in the door mirrors, different grill surround, and the latest models have LED daytime running lights.

If you leave it a few months I'm sure Lexus will have a few bargains as the current IS is being superceded by a new model early 2013. The IS-F is continuing, I'm glad to hear.

Not that many mods on the later models, the document type storage in the rear of the front seats were changed from the elasticated top type seen on the 2005/2006 and the switches for the boot and petrol cap release were changed from one above the other to side by side. The 2010 loaner I had this morning had auto folding door mirrors when the doors were locked, and I think from 2008 the doors autolock when 30 mph is reached. A few cosmetic mods also, e.g. turn indicators in the door mirrors, different grill surround, and the latest models have LED daytime running lights.

If you leave it a few months I'm sure Lexus will have a few bargains as the current IS is being superceded by a new model early 2013. The IS-F is continuing, I'm glad to hear.

Thanks again for all this information, most helpful. Not sure that I can wait a few months to change, mine seems to be losing money by the day. I think that I can do better by selling privately, though I'm not too sure what the market is like. I could give it a go on Autotrader to see what happens. Not getting too good a figure from the dealer in PX at the moment.

SR = Sunroof i.e the car has a sunroof.

A general term used in car advertisements. Nothing Lexus specific.

Regarding the transmissions. The IS250 does not come with a CVT transmission so don't know why people advertise them as having CVT.

Two transmissions available:

- Manual

- 6 Speed automatic (with and without paddle shifters)

SR = Sunroof i.e the car has a sunroof.

A general term used in car advertisements. Nothing Lexus specific.

Regarding the transmissions. The IS250 does not come with a CVT transmission so don't know why people advertise them as having CVT.

Two transmissions available:

- Manual

- 6 Speed automatic (with and without paddle shifters)

Just an irrelevant question - has anything other than an old DAF ever had a Continuously Variable Transmission??

Looking for an IS250, I have spotted another version called an 'SR' can someone give me a little more info on this particular model please. Many thanks.

The IS250 SR was a special edition which came out 3 or 4 years ago. Had a body kit fitted as standard and only a available in a few colours. Cannot remember the full spec but I'm sure you can find a press release or two on the web, maybe the old release is on LOC or lexus.co.uk

Thank you to everyone who offered their thoughts, some quite interesting ones from typo's to sun roofs, the most recent explanation from ColinBarber seems to be the most valid explanation so when i get a few minutes to spare I will investigate further.

Thanks again to all.

CollinBarber is right. The SR model was a pre facelift MY2008 Base spec car with the full GFX bodykit and OEM rear spoiler & 'SR' car mats. Most likely made to help sell old stock before the facelift model arrived. The car was available with the MM pack so some SR cars may have this too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links