Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Feel Like A Fish Out Of Water In The Uk

Hi guys, well I just moved over to Wales from Australia with work. As we are used to big cars, and I will only be driving a car on the weekends, I picked up a LS430 with 82000 miles on the clock.

Well, I feel like a total fish out of water, with all these small cars around, it seems everything is geared towards small cars, parking, the roads, etc, and driving the LS430 I feel like I am sticking out?

Is it just me, or do I just need time to adjust to the UK roads? Amy tips is appreciated.

Cheers

Parking spaces are a joke aren't they. I'm currently driving a Subaru Forester (think they're quite popular in Australia?) and that seems like a squeeze in most supermarket spaces. I'm hoping to get an LS400 at some point in the future and parking it is my biggest concern (at least ending up too close to others and them dinging it). That being said, my wife will have a much smaller car so that will get used for the supermark runs. I guess physical land is at a much higher premium over here than in Australia. Simply less of it in total! Some roads are pretty narrow too but I figure if big lorries can manage it should be possible in a Lexus too.

Yeh your right, I know the cost of fuel thing, but my Main concern was safety for my family and I , 15 month old and comfort when we get to go out and see the sights in the uk, and i have always thought if I was to have an accident on the motorway I would rather be in something like the LS than a Astra or other small car, we had a ML Mercedes in Australia, it was good, but I wouldn't buy another, hence the LS.

Due to government greed for tax, lots of people are forced to drive

small cars 'cos of the cost.

Plus it makes more room for poltitians to be cheuffered around in

big Jaguars.

When I see them all in Nissan Micras I might sell my LS 400, on second thoughts. sod 'em, I wont.

Yes, I have noticed that the wages are very low in the UK, however many many other things are cheaper in the UK than rip off Australia.

In Australia a 2001 LS430 will be around £18-30 00 pounds. Tax will be about £450-500 per year. An LS400 will be around £10 000 upwards. Yes petrol is about .95 per liter for unleaded. However my car cost about £4000/ $6100 AUD a bargain and in my eyes I can buy a lot of fuel for the £12000 difference. Insurance is nearly the same cost. Rental housing is cheaper here as is food in the UK

I'm afraid LS drivers are all in the same boat, they are a large car and mine only just fits in the garage which was extended originally to accomodate a Merc S Class and it is still bumper to the end wall and the door just closes.

One thing I have found is most oncoming traffic will tend to get out of your way when they see an LS approaching.

Parking spaces are a joke as others have mentioned,designed for small cars it is difficult to actually fit into them and be able to actually open the doors to get in and out so I find myself parking further away from the supermarket entrance just to gain an isolated spot, having said that there must be an attraction as I often find cars have then parked alongside me.

One good thing is with rear wheel drive the lock on the steering is far better than the front wheel drive smaller cars and it is surprising after a while how easy they are to reverse park into a space, this is also helped by excellent all round vision and nice touches like the door mirrors which dip down when in reverse.

It is really a matter of getting used to UK roads and driving habits at least you are still on the same side of the road here in the UK.

Finally welcome to the LOC and the UK.

I'm afraid LS drivers are all in the same boat, they are a large car and mine only just fits in the garage which was extended originally to accomodate a Merc S Class and it is still bumper to the end wall and the door just closes.

One thing I have found is most oncoming traffic will tend to get out of your way when they see an LS approaching.

Parking spaces are a joke as others have mentioned,designed for small cars it is difficult to actually fit into them and be able to actually open the doors to get in and out so I find myself parking further away from the supermarket entrance just to gain an isolated spot, having said that there must be an attraction as I often find cars have then parked alongside me.

One good thing is with rear wheel drive the lock on the steering is far better than the front wheel drive smaller cars and it is surprising after a while how easy they are to reverse park into a space, this is also helped by excellent all round vision and nice touches like the door mirrors which dip down when in reverse.

It is really a matter of getting used to UK roads and driving habits at least you are still on the same side of the road here in the UK.

Finally welcome to the LOC and the UK.

Thanks steve for your reply, yeh car park are a joke aren't they! Funny you mentioned about cars getting out of your way, they do, and in 1 week I have had 3 people comment on what a nice car it is, it's gold in colour, never had that before, and it's even 11 years old now, but you know they don't look it really!

Cheers

I feel like a fish out of water too, and I was born here 62 years ago, but that's another subject.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on Oz being more ripped off than us, I'd always assumed it was the other way round.

You're right about the tight parking spaces too, though I'm used to trying to squeeze a motorhome in, so the Lexus comes as a bit of a relief for me.

Anyway, welcome to what's left of Great Britain.

I feel like a fish out of water too, and I was born here 62 years ago, but that's another subject.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on Oz being more ripped off than us, I'd always assumed it was the other way round.

You're right about the tight parking spaces too, though I'm used to trying to squeeze a motorhome in, so the Lexus comes as a bit of a relief for me.

Anyway, welcome to what's left of Great Britain.

Haha, "what's left of Great Britain" is it really that bad?? Everyone I talk to says the same thing.

Well I can tell you, Australia is no golden chalice either, and I know many UK people go to Aust, but i know a lot that have moved back to the UK after 3 odd years because of the expenses rising in Aust.

I am actually from NZ but have been working in Aust for 7 years, NZ is going the same way.

The big difference for me here is I can pay cash for my car and don't need to pay off a car on finance, but in Aust where the cars ate expensive, most have to pay cars off.

Another example: last year I got a brand new Mini JCW through my company as a lease car,

Cost $ 62300 AUD / £40 800

UK Cost: £23500 / $31000 odd Aust , nearly £20 000 thousands pound difference!!! For the same car! I'll take me 4000 pound LS and pay a little more for fuel I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to LOC & the UK, this is one thing that has always ****** me off. My doors have so many dents down the side because the likes of TESCO like to pack spaces so close together. It doesn't matter what car you have you will always end up touching a parked cars doors, they give you about 3 inches to get out.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a windscreen fitter, so I get to see a lot of cars every week. I changed a screen on an LS430 on Tuesday - first one I've done for probably 3 or 4 years! Really don't see them a lot anymore, although neither do I see the IS200/300 much either; one of the reasons I went for one, as it isn't common - probably haven't done a screen on one for over a year. Ironically, since buying mine I've seen more in a week than I have all year, haha!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links