Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Hunt Is Continuing And I've Found This ...

My hunt for an LS400 is continuing and I've found this in Oxford:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/beautiful-lexus-ls-400-v8-lpg-gas-converted-low-miles/111163542

What do you reckon? I'm after an LPG one so the choice is fairly limited.

Anyway, your comments welcomed as always.

That car looks familiar to me, about a year ago I was thinking of replacing mine when it was involved in an accident and one I went to look at was very similar to the one now on sale.

It was the same colour with LPG conversion.

I could be wrong but worth asking the present owner if it was bought from around the Coventry area about a year ago.

If it is the same one I had a good test drive in it and it was in excellent condition at the time.

I've been doing some research on this car over the last hour or so and found this on the LPG forum:

http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10855

Much of the discussion took place earlier in the year (ending in June) but no apparent resolution! Something to ask about tomorrow?

That car looks familiar to me, about a year ago I was thinking of replacing mine when it was involved in an accident and one I went to look at was very similar to the one now on sale.

It was the same colour with LPG conversion.

I could be wrong but worth asking the present owner if it was bought from around the Coventry area about a year ago.

If it is the same one I had a good test drive in it and it was in excellent condition at the time.

Thanks for that. Don't suppose you remember where you saw it advertised to you?

I am surprised that it is a single point LPG system rather than a multipoint set up as is the norm these days, so beware of blowbacks in the intake also sounds like the flashlube has been disconnected.

Be subtle when you ask about the LPG something like "I heard there have been problems with this LPG system especially the RPM signal on the brown wire"

I am surprised that it is a single point LPG system rather than a multipoint set up as is the norm these days, so beware of blowbacks in the intake also sounds like the flashlube has been disconnected.

Be subtle when you ask about the LPG something like "I heard there have been problems with this LPG system especially the RPM signal on the brown wire"

I must admit that some of that technical discussion in the LPG forum was well beyond my pay grade, but clearly I would want the system to be working properly before any purchase. As my friend keeps telling me, 'visibility is a trap', so if you rehearse a car's shortcomings in public then I guess you can only expect potential buyers to ask about the issue?

I wouldnt touch that with someone elses bargepole, an old LPG system thats potentially been faulty is just asking for trouble. Mines less miles, cheaper but doesnt have lpg :arrrggg-matey: , better condition suspension wise... maybe i should up the price :shifty:

So, some questions to ask re LPG.

This was another one close to me, not LPG though:

http://www.redbankmo...201237485133263

Possible conversion perhaps?

Pristine the advert says. Not sure how a car can be pristine with a broken grille and scabby wheels!

Hi I would go for the best mark 4 you can get. There is a company that does a multi point conversion for around £1200 in Preston (done my mates 430) Or use profes gas in Cardif, You will end up with a far better car with much better economy than a mark3 with a single point conversion.

I wouldnt touch that with someone elses bargepole, an old LPG system thats potentially been faulty is just asking for trouble. Mines less miles, cheaper but doesnt have lpg :arrrggg-matey: , better condition suspension wise... maybe i should up the price :shifty:

I think I'll take that advice and give this one a miss. The hunt continues ...

Hi I would go for the best mark 4 you can get. There is a company that does a multi point conversion for around £1200 in Preston (done my mates 430) Or use profes gas in Cardif, You will end up with a far better car with much better economy than a mark3 with a single point conversion.

This sounds like good advice. Thanks. Speaking ball park figures, what would be a reasonable price to pay for a Mark 4? If it isn't too high I could factor in an LPG conversion and still keep to my (nominal) budget!

Here Here.

Mike

Mk.4s sell for anywhere between £1000 (sometimes even less) and £3000. The cheapest ones are usually neglected and likely to be money-pits, the most expensive ones usually overpriced. Prices can vary almost from month to month, but I'd say a sound, well-maintained Mk.4 isn't overpriced at £2000-2500. Sometimes you can be lucky and pick up a good one for less, but with cars of this age (they're all 12-15 years old now) it's difficult to work out a precise value. And because there aren't many around, they're sort of worth what you're willing to pay for them. What makes things more confusing is that the price range now includes Mk4s, Mk3s AND some Mk2s. In other words, value seems to be determined by condition rather than model (which is why you can now pay less for an early 430 than for a late 400). This probably isn't much help... but unfortunately it's not an exact science.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links