Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 400H Wheel Corrosion?

My 400h wheels seem ok [@116,000] but a friend has had her wheels refurbed twice because of corrosion.

I think she must be driving on a beach somewhere..... She has 300 wheels now because they don't corrode so much she says.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Yeah what Dan said. There's loads of info on this topic. Basically all Lexus alloys are rubbish in the UK and corrode due to the salt we use on the roads during the winter.

It's a well known problem, Lexus are well aware of it and they seem to be happy to give people new wheels under warranty rather than come up with a solution to corroding wheels :)

Then you are 1 of few Wendle! Must be lucky!! The wheels on my car were replaced by Lexus at 3 years old ( I have all the documentation relating to the car). My current set is therefore 8 years old and I have receipts of 3 wheel Refurbs. Mine are also starting to blister quite badly so will need doing soon. I keep mine spotless Wendle and clean them nearly every day!

Like Chris, I was always washing mine but they blistered from the inside, and I had them replaced under warranty when the car was just under 3 yrs old. When I sold after another 3 years they were bubbling slightly, but absolutely no kerbing damage. Can only think the alloy is sub standard, which is strange considering how sound the rest was.

Mine are 5 years old already and look like new - no special care, just when washing the car - once a month:

JpP5b.jpg

I noticed you are a "Non UK/Other" member, may I ask if salt is used on your roads in winter as this is a major contributor to wheel damage in the UK.

My 400h wheels seem ok [@116,000] but a friend has had her wheels refurbed twice because of corrosion.

I think she must be driving on a beach somewhere..... She has 300 wheels now because they don't corrode so much she says.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Other than I am surprised that the RX300s are better than the RX400, I have found the reverse.

Mine are 5 years old already and look like new - no special care, just when washing the car - once a month:

JpP5b.jpg

I noticed you are a "Non UK/Other" member, may I ask if salt is used on your roads in winter as this is a major contributor to wheel damage in the UK.

Hi Steve,

I'm currently in Bulgaria, but the first four winters the car was driven mostly in Slovenia and Austria. On all three places they are using salt, sand and chemicals (depending on the temperature and the icing). And all those countries have much more snow in the winter than UK (except some highlands).

JpP5b.jpg

Hi Steve,

I'm currently in Bulgaria, but the first four winters the car was driven mostly in Slovenia and Austria. On all three places they are using salt, sand and chemicals (depending on the temperature and the icing). And all those countries have much more snow in the winter than UK (except some highlands).

It's to do with the type of salt we use here in the UK so im told.

Why don't other makes of car suffer from it then? The salt and chemicals used on UK roads didn't do any damage in 5 years to my Honda wheels or in 2 years to my BMW wheels?

There something with Lexus alloys and UK gritting procedures that cause Lexus wheels to deteriorate! It must have something to si with the alloy compound Lexus use in their wheels.

Hi!

I agree with some of you...my first lexus was is 250 se-l and when I bought it ,rims had corrosion on them and someone has sprayed front two rims...recently i bought rx400h and rims are spotless and car is 1 year older...i come from poland and we have loads of snow sometimes we get over 2meters and when it starts snowing then snows stays for over 3-4 months,the salt is always on the roads for all this time temp drops sometime to -20 celsius so as you can see there is no good weather to wash your car because it will get frozen in minutes:)and I have never experienced corrosion on alloys..therefore I agree with ChrisIS200SportTTE there must be something in this type of salt guys.

Cheers

jack

"If they cause corrosion on the alloys how do you know what else they are causing to your health?"

Scaremongering won't help answer the original post will it? It isn't very hard to cause corrosion on aluminium alloy castings used in car wheels - unless you

spend loads on forged ones with superior [expensive] coatings......

• 1 month later...

Here is an update that may be of interest to some...

In a previous post, I mentionned that my 4 wheels were refurbished when I bought the car back in May 2012, and that the dealer kindly picked up the tab as Lexus UK refused to participate.

I had 4 new tyres fitted this morning. The tyre fitter called me into the workshop and pointed out that, when the wheels were refurbished, the tyres were not removed. Applying the paint with the tyres still on the rims resulted in a "proud edge" to the paint. In turn this caused the paint to flake off in places when the tyres were removed this morning. So back to square one.

In short, if you are thinking of having your wheels refurbished, make sure that the tyres are taken off the rims!

So are you going back to the nice dealer who off their own back "refurbished" your wheels as part of the deal you made with them at the time of purchase?

They have not been refurbished they have been "Cosmetically Enhanced"

Absolutely. I have emailed them already and will be meeting with them Saturday morning. I'll keep you posted!

Had mine replaced by lexus 18months ago with refurb wheels, already started to show signs of corrosion, I believe they get them wet sprayed refurbed and not powdercoated , had wheels powdercoated in the past and never been a problem after they are done, mine will be powdercoated in summer as don't think lexus will replace again as was surprised they did the first time as my car was well out of warranty. Powder coating tyres have to be removed to be done.

I would suggest to check very carefully how they do the powder coating? The high temperature will reverse some of the processes usually done on alloys to make them stronger and harder. The cosmetic effect is perfect, but... the wheels become fragile.

I would suggest to check very carefully how they do the powder coating? The high temperature will reverse some of the processes usually done on alloys to make them stronger and harder. The cosmetic effect is perfect, but... the wheels become fragile.

I have had four cars where I had the wheels powder coated and have all lasted the time with no problems, I suppose it's who ever does iit which could cause a problem but the place I use have been excellent.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links