Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I Really Need Your Opinions Ls400 As Against Ls430

HI guys & gals I currently have a 99 MK4 Sat Nav LS400. As one expects it drives & handles great. I'm thinking of changing it for a 2001 LS 430.

Can a member or members who have driven BOTH cars let me have their considered opinions.

Thanks

Lexmanic

HI guys & gals I currently have a 99 MK4 Sat Nav LS400. As one expects it drives & handles great. I'm thinking of changing it for a 2001 LS 430.

Can a member or members who have driven BOTH cars let me have their considered opinions.

Thanks

Lexmanic

If you have an LS400 and it drives and handles as you say, why would you want to change? It's a great car.

Thanks

Lexmanic

If you have an LS400 and it drives and handles as you say, why would you want to change? It's a great car.

Cos I may want to change DOH! Have YOU driven both if not your opinion ain't worth squat & if you have please tell me what you thought

Thanks

Lexmanic

Cos I may want to change DOH! Have YOU driven both if not your opinion ain't worth squat & if you have please tell me what you thought

Nice!

I have had 2 LS400.....1990 and a 1998...both great cars. I recently bought a 430 and much prefer it to the 400.

Yes, the 400 is slightly quieter on the road but the 430 on air is better to drive.....It just feels so much more modern.

I still have my 400 which I drove yesterday and its still a great car but given the choice I·d go for the 430 every time.

Flossdog

Thanks

Lexmanic

Nice!

I apoligise but I wasn't asking for any opinion as to why I would I want to change. That question remains until I heard from those who have experience of BOTH cars

I have had 2 LS400.....1990 and a 1998...both great cars. I recently bought a 430 and much prefer it to the 400.

Yes, the 400 is slightly quieter on the road but the 430 on air is better to drive.....It just feels so much more modern.

I still have my 400 which I drove yesterday and its still a great car but given the choice I·d go for the 430 every time.

Flossdog

Thanks that really helps :phone:

I've only had 400's but I have been on here since 2008 & find it conspiciouous that I have only seen 1 430 with what the owner seemed to think was a 'car model' problem. I have not seen many other problems at all with them, if it were me making a decision those factors would be a big influence.

I've only had 400's but I have been on here since 2008 & find it conspiciouous that I have only seen 1 430 with what the owner seemed to think was a 'car model' problem. I have not seen many other problems at all with them, if it were me making a decision those factors would be a big influence.

Thanks I agree as to the lack of comments, some seem to think its a car build problem. less attention to detail but I'm still to be convinced

I think its more down to the fact that the 430 up until the last year or so has come down to sub 5K and there just arn't the numbers in ownership yet to compete numbers wise with the 400's. Mike

hi

first of all have a read here - same questions was asked not long ago:

http://www.lexusowne...showtopic=79953

Have a read here where i have listed the comon faults to look out for when buying:

http://www.lexusowne...showtopic=79931

And finally i upgraded to 04 plate facelift LS430 couple fo months ago - the following is from my original post :

The LS430 is so much better - for those of you thinking of upgrading i would reccomend it - the extra gizmos i got over the Mark 4 are:

Reversing camera

front parking sensors

keyless go

colled seats aswell as heated

drinks cooler

folding mirrors

blinds

The 430 is

smoother and quieter driven locally - drive is very effortless

seating is very comfortable

seating position higher

gear change is unnoticeable where is the 400 you notice it more especially from cold

keyless go is priceless and it comes with things like puddle lights and tire pressure monitor

Now 2 months later I can tell that the only gripe i have is the extra road noise - the is perhaps down to lower profile tyres or maybe the tyres themselves.

Keyless go - no looking for keys - just walk upto the car and go - love it.

rain sensing wipers - initially i thought i was a gimic - but in reality work very well and adjust accoridng to speed and rain or when your driving into an underground car park - they respond accordingly by switching off

Reversing camera allows you to park in tighter spots

I would say the general consensus on the 400 is that the mark 4 was the best out of the lot - with the LS430 due to the lack of numbers and the fact that every individual sees things differently - i would say go and drive one make your mind up from there

Overall i would recommend the upgrade - i dont agree with the fact they are not well built - i think its just aswell built

Hope this helps

Owned and driven a 400 and 430

I would honestly say they are not worlds apart in driving, smooth, effortless and quiet.

Both marks have their own issues and things to praise, but as long as the maintenance and servicing is done to a good standard then i would say both are great cars.

The 430 has more gizmodoodads, but that means more to go wrong i guess.

If i had to choose again with hindsight then the 430 would be my pick, to me it feels that much more refined and polished.

But that is only my opinion, i dare say others may voice differently

Maduggo makes very valid points,I was thinking five years ago that the next upgrade would be a 460 from my mark1, cost was'nt a problem but depreciation was so I monitored the forums and the opinions on them regarding all three models the last 400 the 430 and the 460.

In the final analysis what swung it for me was the one off never to be repeated 18k mile 400 in mint.I have drooled enough about that on this forum already so I will concur with the majority verdict ,things can only get better unless you are in the Labour party oops literal slip sorry :whistling: .The Ls430 as to be technically better than its predecessors it can go wrong in more places and there ar'nt as many about for spares should you need them,I hasten to add that I have driven both I thought the road noise was more distinct on the 430 but the handling was better .I rest my case have a happy new year everyone . :hocus-pokus:

hi

first of all have a read here - same questions was asked not long ago:

http://www.lexusowne...showtopic=79953

Have a read here where i have listed the comon faults to look out for when buying:

http://www.lexusowne...showtopic=79931

And finally i upgraded to 04 plate facelift LS430 couple fo months ago - the following is from my original post :

The LS430 is so much better - for those of you thinking of upgrading i would reccomend it - the extra gizmos i got over the Mark 4 are:

Reversing camera

front parking sensors

keyless go

colled seats aswell as heated

drinks cooler

folding mirrors

blinds

The 430 is

smoother and quieter driven locally - drive is very effortless

seating is very comfortable

seating position higher

gear change is unnoticeable where is the 400 you notice it more especially from cold

keyless go is priceless and it comes with things like puddle lights and tire pressure monitor

Now 2 months later I can tell that the only gripe i have is the extra road noise - the is perhaps down to lower profile tyres or maybe the tyres themselves.

Keyless go - no looking for keys - just walk upto the car and go - love it.

rain sensing wipers - initially i thought i was a gimic - but in reality work very well and adjust accoridng to speed and rain or when your driving into an underground car park - they respond accordingly by switching off

Reversing camera allows you to park in tighter spots

I would say the general consensus on the 400 is that the mark 4 was the best out of the lot - with the LS430 due to the lack of numbers and the fact that every individual sees things differently - i would say go and drive one make your mind up from there

Overall i would recommend the upgrade - i dont agree with the fact they are not well built - i think its just aswell built

Hope this helps

Thanks that helps a great deal :phone:

Maduggo makes very valid points,I was thinking five years ago that the next upgrade would be a 460 from my mark1, cost was'nt a problem but depreciation was so I monitored the forums and the opinions on them regarding all three models the last 400 the 430 and the 460.

In the final analysis what swung it for me was the one off never to be repeated 18k mile 400 in mint.I have drooled enough about that on this forum already so I will concur with the majority verdict ,things can only get better unless you are in the Labour party oops literal slip sorry :whistling: .The Ls430 as to be technically better than its predecessors it can go wrong in more places and there ar'nt as many about for spares should you need them,I hasten to add that I have driven both I thought the road noise was more distinct on the 430 but the handling was better .I rest my case have a happy new year everyone . :hocus-pokus:

Again thanks very much for your input & a happy new year to you too :driving:

I would honestly say they are not worlds apart in driving, smooth, effortless and quiet.

Both marks have their own issues and things to praise, but as long as the maintenance and servicing is done to a good standard then i would say both are great cars.

If i had to choose again with hindsight then the 430 would be my pick, to me it feels that much more refined and polished.

Thanks very helpful

Thanks very helpful

Hi I went to look at 2 430s yesterday one in Bedford & one in Ampthill. If you were thinking of making the long trip to view I wouldn't bother unless you want something that is normally made of wood & sits in the back garden. IMHO

Assuming they're the two on Autotrader at £3290 and 3449, that sort of sums up my feeling about the 430 at present. It's a very desirable car, but those two examples are younger than my 400 and have much lower mileage, and yet they're both sheds that cost twice what my 400's worth. No wonder many of us don't trade up to a 430, even though we'd like one.

Assuming they're the two on Autotrader at £3290 and 3449, that sort of sums up my feeling about the 430 at present. It's a very desirable car, but those two examples are younger than my 400 and have much lower mileage, and yet they're both sheds that cost twice what my 400's worth. No wonder many of us don't trade up to a 430, even though we'd like one.

Just very bad sellers. Mike

Bluesman hi, couldn't help but chuckle ............ I remember my business partner showing me how to just use my mirrors to reverse after he saw me trying to contort in the driver's seat !

It's easy once you get used to it and I can judge how close I am to the car behind from the LS bootlid edge now.

Only taken a few years to get there :msn-oh:

Malc

Yep thats the 2 one with 74K ????looked like 374k & the other with 115k, (good history & well maintained) Too many scrapes & dinks + had front passenger door painted, filler on rh rear quarter rusty wheel arch. Climate control not working , suspension stuck & keyless entry didn't work.

Yep thats the 2 one with 74K ????looked like 374k & the other with 115k, (good history & well maintained) Too many scrapes & dinks + had front passenger door painted, filler on rh rear quarter rusty wheel arch. Climate control not working , suspension stuck & keyless entry didn't work.

So would you say that's a No then?? Mike.

Don't let 2 bad examples spoil your thinking, just look at the amount of 400's that are in a similar or worse condition, would that have stopped you buying a 400.

I got a fantastic 430 after 2 months of looking at plenty of cars, must have traveled near on 500 miles in all when doing my viewing, but i did succeed in the end.

It really winds me up when they pay a lot of money for a car and then don't keep things neat and tidy, even basic maintenance.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links