Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brake Warning Light Comes On But Book Dosent Say Check Bulbs

My brake warning light came on in the bad weather, that's the one with a circle that has a show either side and an exclamation mark in the circle.

Owners handbook tells you to check the brake fluid level and check to see if your parking brake is off.

This I did but both were OK so took it to my village garage who has been doing our cars for years and his Dad before him, he checked both and found no problem, wait a minute he said lets check the brake lights and sure enough the off side brake light was bust 2 mins and £5 for the tea and biscuits fund saw everything back to normal but why doesn't the handbook say to check brake lights?

I have kept the bulb just in case I can make a warranty claim against Lexus for a faulty bulb after all its only 15 years old.

Mike

That one didn't last long then !!!

I thought 17 years was about right :whistling:

and that's the first thing I look for if and when that warning light ever comes on

Malc

Go onto another thread (Stoplight problem) to see how far I got before I got some Info on how to do it the correct way.

Hi Norman, Yes I followed your story, I have to say all my guy had to do was pull off 2 plastic caps hiding 2 Phillips screws, undo those, pull the complete light unit out, unscrew the offending bulb and replace. Took less than 2 minutes.

Mike

My brake warning light came on in the bad weather, that's the one with a circle that has a show either side and an exclamation mark in the circle.

Owners handbook tells you to check the brake fluid level and check to see if your parking brake is off.

This I did but both were OK so took it to my village garage who has been doing our cars for years and his Dad before him, he checked both and found no problem, wait a minute he said lets check the brake lights and sure enough the off side brake light was bust 2 mins and £5 for the tea and biscuits fund saw everything back to normal but why doesn't the handbook say to check brake lights?

I have kept the bulb just in case I can make a warranty claim against Lexus for a faulty bulb after all its only 15 years old.

Mike

Same thing happened to me. I checked everything but couldn't find a fault, turned out to be the brake light. Slightly annoying but I was pleased to find it was only a bulb.

Lexus seem to have gone backwards in some respects, pre October 1994 models had the brake fluid/parking brake warning light and a seperate rear light bulb out system which illuminated it's own light if there was a blown bulb.

It looks like on later models the system was integrated and done by just one warning light, cost cutting me thinks!

Should be mentioned in the handbook though.

Its exactly the same on the IS! If a brake bulb goes then the handbrake light will stay illuminated even tho the IS has a light on the dash to say a bulb is out. The bulb out light has never come on on my car, only when you start it and all the lights come on for a second!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links