Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Door Won't Open On Ls430

Hi everyone. First post, so here we go. I've had my LS430 2001 for approx 5 months and had nothing but trouble with it, all electric and it's doing my head in. First radio and sat nav fails, noticed water coming in boot so have to sort that out, but thinking of getting a new system to fit in dash. had a few other elec probs and sorted them by buying a new Battery eg. boot motor continually running which meant i could not close the boot and the fuel door opening when it wanted. Now I can't open the bloody fuel door. I've looked in the boot for the handle to open it but it's not there. Theres an indent in the panel where it should be. Now my question, is there anothe place where it could be hidden as i'm running low on petrol and getting desperate. Failing to getting it open can someone lend me a match and some petrol ;)) TIA

Hi WM

Found this for you while I was bored this afternoon - it may help. My 430 is a 2002 and the nav system plays up in the cold weather - I use a phone as a backup in the winter if it won't warm up. You could replace the unit in the boot I suppose but they are expensive. I would fix the water ingress problem asap and before replacing anything. My fuel door sometimes sticks so I waggle the release and give the door a biff - I have never had it stuck shut.

Here is what I found on FixYa for the electical side of the release -

At the drivericon1.png side junction box (DSJB), check the 10A FUEL OPN fuse which is the source of power for the fuelicon1.png door. The power is applied to the fuel lid opener switch that, when closed, activates the fuel lid opener motoricon1.png and...POP!

Also at the DSJB, check the 15A ECU-IG fuse which supplies power to BODY ECU 1. At the passenger side junction block, check the 20A P FR DOOR fuse. Next, at engineicon1.png room relay block 1, check the 10A MPX-B fuse. These three fuses apply to BODY ECU 1 which controls luggage compartment door operation. TSW output from the ECU is applied to the luggage compartment dooe opener switch which, when closed, activates the luggage compartment door opener motor and...POP!

Good luck

Bren

Welcome to the club that houses the best kept secret in motoring history.

I cant help with the problems your having but I know there are plenty of experts that are only to willing to help.

Hopefully you get them all sorted quickly. Mike

Many thanks brendangeorge. I don't think it's a fuse but will check as i can hear the door release trying to operate. Thanks also for the other info and your quick response, I'm very grateful

Phil

might be an idea if you get someone pull/push the fuel cap while you pull the cap release lever just incase the mechanism is stuck

Scooze the possibly silly idea, I dont know your car at all...sorry. I don't spose there is a manual lever/switch hidden in the boot near the filler neck? I know some cars have them..just an idea.

The in boot manual pull cord is located on the left side of the boot right next to the tool kit, remove the tool kit as it may have pushed the cord into where the kit lives and hidden it.

The in boot manual pull cord is located on the left side of the boot right next to the tool kit, remove the tool kit as it may have pushed the cord into where the kit lives and hidden it.

Nice one Chris - the release cord is better than my GBH tactics. You'd think in 11 years I would have found the release :(

Bren

I've looked in the boot and moved things about and there's no release cord, handle or other to be found. As for the pull push idea, tried and no luck. I can see where the pull lever should be ( an indent in the lining ) but it was not installed for some reason. I was hoping for a quick easy fix but it looks like i'll have to pull the linings out and look for the motor or whatever it's called and go from there. I am very grateful for all replies and suggestions, your a great bunch of people, many thanks

Phil

I've looked in the boot and moved things about and there's no release cord, handle or other to be found. As for the pull push idea, tried and no luck. I can see where the pull lever should be ( an indent in the lining ) but it was not installed for some reason. I was hoping for a quick easy fix but it looks like i'll have to pull the linings out and look for the motor or whatever it's called and go from there. I am very grateful for all replies and suggestions, your a great bunch of people, many thanks

Phil

That's strange Phil - I just had a look in my boot and the manual release is right where Chris said it was - I have a 2002 model but I don't hink they changed anything between 2001 and 2002 - mine has the Premium pack.

Phil

Just re-read your original post, "I've looked in the boot for the handle to open it but it's not there. Theres an indent in the panel where it should be" I re-checked mine a little while ago and I can't see no indent, will take a photo in the morning and post it on here.

Those of you with a Ls400 in case you don't know, your manual filler release is in the same position on the right side of the car next to the toolkit.

Makes you wonder why Lexus moved the filler to the other side when they designed the 430.

Here you go, not much help if the cord is missing i know, I did see the indent you refer to, don't know if it's for the pull tab to sit in, you can just see it slightly above my tab with my poor photographing skills, didn't realize the pull tab had a velcro back to stick it to the trim.

Lets hope yours is just stuck behind the trim and not snapped :phone:

post-40559-0-56202100-1360832316.jpg

post-40559-0-55083100-1360832329.jpg

Sorry for the delay in getting back, been away from PC. Thanks for the photo's, had another look but no joy. I will try and get the side panel off later today and see what's behind. I have to look to find where all the water is coming into the boot as I think that it's the cause with all the electric problems i'm having. I'll keep you informed. Once again, thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Phil

The water ingress could be from the sun roof drains being blocked, several threads on this forum regarding it.

I think the very end of the drain tube comes out through the bottom of rear wheel well on each side, maybe the end is blocked with road crud backing the water drain up.

There was mention of water getting in via the bottom corners of the rear screen on the 400's, that was talked about in one of the threads, unsure if it can happen on the 430's.

When you finally get the filler flap open, check around the edges in there, that could be another way in.

I'm sure others will have some ideas as well, good luck.

If you remove the trim from the side of the boot you will be able to see the filler flap release mechanism. On top of the unit there will be a lever to which the emergency release cord is normally attached, moving the lever manually will release the filler flap.

Hooray, found the door release and opened flap. Many thanks for all your help. Boo, wet all around it. Had a look around the rest of the boot and it's the same on the other side. The well where the sat nav sits is soaking, that might be the problem why the radio/sat nav failed. Maduggo suggested ( thank you ) it could be sun roof drains being blocked, would this cause this amount of ingress? if so ( sorry to be a pain ) where are they situated?. At first i was thinking it could be the main rubber seal like on the LS400s. I can't find any posts on this for the LS430.

Phil

Hooray, found the door release and opened flap. Many thanks for all your help. Boo, wet all around it. Had a look around the rest of the boot and it's the same on the other side. The well where the sat nav sits is soaking, that might be the problem why the radio/sat nav failed. Maduggo suggested ( thank you ) it could be sun roof drains being blocked, would this cause this amount of ingress? if so ( sorry to be a pain ) where are they situated?. At first i was thinking it could be the main rubber seal like on the LS400s. I can't find any posts on this for the LS430.

Phil

What a brilliant club to be long to, exclusive and full of knowledgeable members who are always happy to help. Mike

If you open the sunroof and look from the top you should see the drains in the corners.

thick strimmer wire is good to poke all the way down to clear them out and is cheap enough from B&Q

I've found curtain wire is excellent for cleaning the drain tubes out.

I agree with the curtain wire method, after seeing posts before and having my old Ls400 suffer a leaky rear end.

Couple of quid from local hardware dealer and a bit of fiddling, wasn't the fix for me as the drains were clear.

The sunroof rear drain holes are the hardest to get to from the top as they are at the back corners of the sunroof and you have to feel your way with the wire, the fronts are easy enough, they are in the front corners.

Word of caution, don't go like a bull at a gate, easy prodding to save on causing damage.

As to where they come out under the car i cannot say.

Is water in the center part where the spare wheel sits ?

Not sure what to say as to where the water is getting in, could be as a result of the blocked tubes or leaking through bottom of screen area, just have a good look about for water trails, they usually leave a sign.

I agree with the curtain wire method, after seeing posts before and having my old Ls400 suffer a leaky rear end.

Couple of quid from local hardware dealer and a bit of fiddling, wasn't the fix for me as the drains were clear.

The sunroof rear drain holes are the hardest to get to from the top as they are at the back corners of the sunroof and you have to feel your way with the wire, the fronts are easy enough, they are in the front corners.

Word of caution, don't go like a bull at a gate, easy prodding to save on causing damage.

Not sure what to say as to where the water is getting in, could be as a result of the blocked tubes or leaking through bottom of screen area, just have a good look about for water trails, they usually leave a sign.

"suffer a leaky rear end" Can there be a more antisocial problem ??????? Mike

"suffer a leaky rear end" Can there be a more antisocial problem ??????? Mike

It sounds too much even for Tena ladies :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links