Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Still Looking For A 400

Hi folks,

I presently run an old 1990 w124 mercedes e300, which is in a body shop after some moron keyed it. It's a great car and only 67000 miles with full history, but I am hankering after a 400! Will be like new when I get it back hopefully at the end of the week with a full respray.

So, I intend to sell it, and buy a 400 as soon as I see a decent one. It will be a keeper which ever one I buy.

The question I have is that I don't really like the dash of the mk4 and its big screen satnav, so am thinking about a good mark three instead. I know they are all good but is the mk4 really better than the previous model? Or is It the bit of extra power and the dash with sat nav?

What do you think?

Hi folks,

I presently run an old 1990 w124 mercedes e300, which is in a body shop after some moron keyed it. It's a great car and only 67000 miles with full history, but I am hankering after a 400! Will be like new when I get it back hopefully at the end of the week with a full respray.

So, I intend to sell it, and buy a 400 as soon as I see a decent one. It will be a keeper which ever one I buy.

The question I have is that I don't really like the dash of the mk4 and its big screen satnav, so am thinking about a good mark three instead. I know they are all good but is the mk4 really better than the previous model? Or is It the bit of extra power and the dash with sat nav?

What do you think?

I've only had a MK2 previously and it was the best car I've ever owned. When I got the MK4 I couldn't believe that it could be an improvement but it is in many ways. Not had a MK3 so I can't comment. Its all down to personal taste. For me, I really like the MK4 dash and especially the touch screen controls. I think it would still look good in a new car.

Phil

Hi folks,

What do you think?

I think it really boils down to personal preference and in your position i would drive both and decide - from smoothness, quitness and build quality point of view there is no difference - other differences include:

Mark 4 has newer VVTi engine which is marginally more economical

Mark 4 doesnt have the failed heaed seats and black dash problems like the mark 3

Mark 4 has Xenon headlamps where as the mark 3 has normal bulbs

Mark 4 seats are softer

Mark 4 doesnt suffer from the coked throttle body (resulting in stalling when slowing down after a run) some early Mark 3s had this problem

Mark 4 has electronically controlled throttle which means throttle is more sensitive and therefore car feels lighter

my preference is the mark 4 even though i drive a 04 plate 430!

Hi folks,

What do you think?

The Mk4 is noticably quicker than the Mk3, has better headlights (self-levelling HIDs), an actual trip computer so you can read your MPG & weep instead of having to calculate it and THEN weep.... The VVT-i system gives intoxicating "stabbed rat" performance above 4K RPM, I believe it also improves fuel economy if driven gently, I couldn't comment on that.

The satnav is actually surprisingly useful, mine has a hokey disk which doesn't work so well, but when it does work, the instructions are clearer than my TomTom, and the voice isn't as irritating either (sounds a bit like Hattie Hayridge, of Red Dwarf fame).

What I will say is, I cannot believe how advanced this car was at the time (considering how primitive it was - in computer/dash terms) previously; touch-sensitive satellite navigation in 1998? Did the TomTom even exist back then?

I wasn't sold on its looks (it doesn't photograph well IMHO), but "up close" & in the flesh, the Mk4 cannot be beat IMHO.

Well ive gone back to a mark 4 after buying a 430 & selling my previous mark 4 on lpg (I spoke with you about it a few times)

The mark 4 has snow mode, traction control & vsc & the vvti engine is a peach. I looked & drove mark3 's when I first bought my mark 4.

I would go Mark 4 as its the best car Lexus has ever built IMHO, Like the W124 is the best car Merc has ever built.

My new one has 146k & drives like brand new as did the one I sold with 192k on it.

A mark 3 would be second choice & is still a brilliant car.

Hi mark,

Yes we did talk a few times, but am still waiting for my car back so it can be sold on, or swapped in.

Chuffed that you got a decent car back, as I know you were a bit undecided about the 430. Good on you.

It's a bit of a minefield out there, lots of cars for sale, and some decidedly dodgy ones.

Just hope I can sell the merc quickly now, as I don't suppose that anyone here has a mint mk4 they want to swap for an immaculate E300 Mercedes!

Hi mark,

Yes we did talk a few times, but am still waiting for my car back so it can be sold on, or swapped in.

Chuffed that you got a decent car back, as I know you were a bit undecided about the 430. Good on you.

It's a bit of a minefield out there, lots of cars for sale, and some decidedly dodgy ones.

Just hope I can sell the merc quickly now, as I don't suppose that anyone here has a mint mk4 they want to swap for an immaculate E300 Mercedes!

How very dare you. Mike

Hi mark,

How very dare you. Mike

Lol.....

Hi i have two mark 4s and love them both the newest has dhp , sat nav, sunroof and everthing works fin , my 99 none sat , darks stereo, steering glitch .but great i mix and match with the missus as she works 4 miles i work 15 ,it stops the short run issues. your in 4 the drive of your life by 4 , ps couldnt resist

Not just me that hankers after buying a second LS400 then, I'm 62 years old, was car-mad from an early age, have owned lots of varied makes of cars/4x4's over the years, 4 months ago, I buy on a daft impulse a 14 year-old Lexus LS400, now I'm bloody hooked on the damn car, never driven such a smooth machine,love it to bits, by I want another one.....I need help...counselling.....sigh.....

Not just me that hankers after buying a second LS400 then, I'm 62 years old, was car-mad from an early age, have owned lots of varied makes of cars/4x4's over the years, 4 months ago, I buy on a daft impulse a 14 year-old Lexus LS400, now I'm bloody hooked on the damn car, never driven such a smooth machine,love it to bits, by I want another one.....I need help...counselling.....sigh.....

Don't worry yourself, you have come of age and at the same died and woken up in motoring paradise. Its no wonder the Merc club cant get the same feeling for their cars as we do for ours and the reason is simple, their cars aren't good enough.

Now if you still feel shaky get a nice cup of tea, find your favorite CD and go and sit in Lexie, she will look after you.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links