Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My brake wear indicator has come on. Off to the garage to get the pads sorted tomorrow. I've done some reading around this issue on the site. Am I correct that in the following:

1. Th brake wear indicator comes on when a circuit is broken and you need to get a replacement part to get it functioning again.

2. You can re-establish the circuit with a spare bit of wiring but you'll loose the electronic warning that the pads are low, etc.

Hi if its the warning on the dash saying brake wear its the pads low. You have a few mm on them left so no panic I did another 5,000 miles. The sensor can be repaired by soldering a bit of wire in + a dab of instant metal & you should be able to re use it.

They are about £60 from lexus I have seen them on an American site for a few dollars, I will see if I can find it & post it up.

Many thanks Mark and Malc! Stop light is ok so I'm taking it down to my mechanic this morning to have a look. I'm guessing its the rear pads as they were identified as a bit low at the service last October. I'll pass on the tip about repairing the sense as that sounds like a sensible first option. But thanks for the link just in case Mark.

I get trade price from Toyota but surely thats not the mark up from trade to public???

BMW wear sensors are around £10 mark aswell.

There must be something seriously wrong if they are that £60 area? Seriously wrong, for a common wearing item that is made in large quantites, shared with Toyotas, they are fundamentally taking the micky there.

So if read this right, the pad indicator breaks once it has done it's job, then you can drive for another 5K, and then you have to send of to the USA for a part that costs and arm and a leg in the UK.

Just had mine on the ramp for the MOT and the pads need replacing, so I assume that in the past mine has had the old 'short' trick.

Seems to me may as well just get it to the garage now and again for a quick check, and the heck with with the suicidal wear indicator.

On the other hand I am a dab hand with a soldering iron so I may have a go and the home repair, but with the weather as it is, freezing me n*ts off while tinkering on the 400 sounds like a job for the summer (if it ever arrives this year).

So if read this right, the pad indicator breaks once it has done it's job, then you can drive for another 5K, and then you have to send of to the USA for a part that costs and arm and a leg in the UK.

Just had mine on the ramp for the MOT and the pads need replacing, so I assume that in the past mine has had the old 'short' trick.

Seems to me may as well just get it to the garage now and again for a quick check, and the heck with with the suicidal wear indicator.

On the other hand I am a dab hand with a soldering iron so I may have a go and the home repair, but with the weather as it is, freezing me n*ts off while tinkering on the 400 sounds like a job for the summer (if it ever arrives this year).

I wouldnt think you would have the hardest job in the world soldering it back on. Mike

• 1 month later...

I'm curious about this system: The last time I serviced my 1997 LS 400, I noted the brake pads were low but OK and also noticed a wear indicator on the front (can't remember if there was one on the back).

Recently the light came on and I have had all four discs and all pads replaced. The brakes are A LOT better.

The guys who did the work were unable to get a replacement sensor that day and have carried out a temporary repair to get the warning light to go out but it is still on, so I guess I need another sensor.

Questions:

Is it possible there is a sensor on the rear brakes that has also worn and I need 2 replacements? Has anyone ever had a repair by connecting the wires fail? Also could an ECU reset clear this?

Dont even need to solder, twist the wires and tape it. It will be fine

I guarantee that that method is sure to end up not working after a while when you think where this sits in the car, at least when soldered you know its safe. Mike.

Just checked at Rock Auto and it's $7.44 for the pad wear sensor but $30.00 for shipping!

Only got one at that price but if you could get all 4 for that price the shipping would be worth it.

I have just managed to clear this light:

First I checked the stop lamps and fluid level, which were all OK, then I cleaned the electrical connection to the brake fluid reservoir with some electronic cleaner spray, then removed the ECU and EFI fuses (3 in all). Lastly I just wiggled the connection between the sensor cable (which is shorted) and the block it goes into on the suspension.

Have been for a drive and there is no light, switched the ignition off and had another drive and the light is still out. It works correctly (comes on with the ignition and goes off after a few seconds.)

I'm a member of a motorbike owners club where we do exactly that sort of thing. We charge £12 a year for membership of the "parts club", then buy up stuff in bulk, from eBay scrappers and so on and make it available to members for 30% of the manufacturer's list price.

The only thing is, ideally you need two dedicated people to make it work - one to deal with the money and one to deal with stock, orders and posting stuff out. It is very difficult to find someone willing to do the latter, particularly as the parts can take up quite a bit of space. We are lucky enough to have someone, so it's a great system and we really save a lot of money.

Somebody needs to put this down on paper

Tell members how much its going to cost and how many units need to be purchased to achieve that price

Then get those members interesting in purchasing to sign up - from there we will have a clear picture of wether its worthwhile or not

Also known as a group buy, great idea in theory, but for some reason always seems to turn sour in my experience on various car forums.

Usually starts with a bang, but ends with "my dog ate my homework" type excuses.

Shame really, it would be great if somebody managed to get one to work.

Good luck to anybody brave enough to try.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links