Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

I am a noobie here, so please be gentle!

I am looking to buy a LS400. I already have a GS430, which is great and I want a LS400 to go with it, I am assuming it will be a bit more comfy than the GS?!

The question is, what do I go for? Do I go for a cheap earlier one to cut my teeth or plunge straight in and go for the best mark 4 I can find? Looking around you can get very decent mark 2 and 3's now well under £1k.

Plus, what do I need to look out for on any of these models?

If your looking to buy a Mark 4 here’s what to look out for:

Make sure it has a full or at least a good service history which includes the cambelt change.

On driving the ride should be quite smooth comfortable with no noises or creaks from the suspension. Gearbox changes should not be noticeable

Upon inserting key the steering should tilt and retract - test and make sure the mechanism works

When starting from cold the starter should engage and start the engine immediately - if there is clicking sound then be prepared to have the starter or starter contacts replaced - the is a big job - takes about 7 hours therefore costs a lot and finding a competent mechanic who has the knowledge to properly dismantle and reassemble everything may not be as easy as you think..

Braking should be quite and smooth - if you get a groaning noise when coming to stop that’s a sign of cheap aftermarket brake pads - they will need replacing.

Check colour of gearbox oil it should be red with no smell of burning.

Check all electrics work

Check the temperature display backlight works - these fail and require a lot of dismantling to replace.

Check the bonnet struts hold the bonnet

Check there is no water or dampness in the spare wheel well - if yes then boot seal needs replacing or sealing

Check the car has the correct Toyota red coolant

Ask if the cabin filter has ever been changed - these are often over looked.

Check toolkit is present

Check for exhaust blow - the Y pipe is prone to leaking

Make sure there are no warning lights lit in the dash

Ideally you want 2 remote and one grey key

Check the car has a matching set of tyres and wether they are branded or not - this should give an indication wether the car has been pampered or neglected

Check the headlamp levelling mechanism still works - these often fail

Before driving off make sure you have the say nav code and locking wheel nut key.

Welcome to this brilliant forum for the worlds greatest car The LS400.

We are a friendly bunch and some are very knowledgeable as Mark has demonstrated with

his amazing list of positives and negatives.

The consensous of opinion is that the MK4 LS400 is the best of all the LS models.

I have had one one for 3 years and there has never been a problem.

There is an LOC meet on the 5th May in the Midlands you may like to attend to see all the models together in one place.

Here is a link http://www.lexusowne...owtopic=80199

Mike

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, very helpful advice, thank you.

It's a little out of area for me but I might try to make that meet, it would be useful to see the different models lined up and get some thoughts from the owners. I'll bring my GS, I don't see many of them around here.

I would like to hear from anyone that owns a mark 1, 2 or 3 too as to what these cars are like as I will only have room for one LS400 (unfortunately!)

ive owned a Mark 3 and 4 - I now have a 430

The main differences are:

Mark 4 has xenons - 3 just has normal bulbs

Mark 4 has 5 speed gearbox

Mark 4 has Traction control and snow mode

Mark 4 has Touchscreen controls - 3 has buttons

Mark 4 has Softer seats and doesn't suffer from broken heated seat elements - Mark 3 heated seats almost always don't work

Mark 4 has VVTi engine which is marginally better on fuel - I didn't notice any difference

Mark 4 has Electronic throttle which means it gas pedal is very sensative and the car feels very light

Apart from that there is only the facelift changes which you will probably know

In terms of quietness and smoothness there is no difference - the mark 4 might feel fresher and newer HOWEVER if one was to upgrade from a Mark 4 to 430 then there is WORLD of difference - some positive and some negative - 5th month into ownership and just about got used to it.

Hi jpj, I don't think you will be disappointed with the GS430. The power delivery is just awesome. I would imagine the LS is more comfy but I found the GS430 sport too hard for me so I have the SE. Plus the Sat Nav option is great, which mine has.

I understand the Mark Levinson amps tend to blow easily and are about 600 quid to replace so might be worth avoiding that but great cars and probably 2.5k would get you a cracker.

I am still looking forward to a LS though. Interestingly enough I have decided to sidestep the LS430 partly because I have that engine already in my GS and partly because I know of 2 people who have had LS400's, 'upgraded' to the 430 only to go back to the 400 because the 400 'is the better car' (their words, not mine).

i owned a j reg back in 2005,i know it was'nt too old then and it was a great car, never any trouble,only sold it because i had bmw 530d company car,when got made reduntant, i needed another car and i bought a k reg from a local garage so i could get to ajob i had it was in lovely condition,it was about 650 with tax ,done starship mileage, 224000 but still a great drive,it had only 2 owner and full lexus service history, again no probs,i did repair leak on power steering resevoir and fitted new aerial,and sold for about the same money these are common probs on early cars along with the heater dis plays the only probs with these cars are that once you have one,you can't live without one, now i have a mk4 and they are the best of all tho you can pay alot for some,so you have to weigh up

the the pros and cons of both,the early cars have olot of charm,prob if you drove a mk 2or 3 with out sampling the 4,you would be more than happy in my opinion,as before mileage on older not important but service history and condition the thing,does'nt have to be lexus but history of being looked after ,get one and enjoy, you could start with a mk2/3, if you like ,then trade up,terrible thing this lexus sickness, seems to include multiple cars as well,i bought mine off a guy who had three

Hi jpj, I don't think you will be disappointed with the GS430. The power delivery is just awesome. I would imagine the LS is more comfy but I found the GS430 sport too hard for me so I have the SE. Plus the Sat Nav option is great, which mine has.

I understand the Mark Levinson amps tend to blow easily and are about 600 quid to replace so might be worth avoiding that but great cars and probably 2.5k would get you a cracker.

I am still looking forward to a LS though. Interestingly enough I have decided to sidestep the LS430 partly because I have that engine already in my GS and partly because I know of 2 people who have had LS400's, 'upgraded' to the 430 only to go back to the 400 because the 400 'is the better car' (their words, not mine).

Hi

Go here to get the full sp www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html. I had a 1990 mark 1 for 16 years and was lucky to pick up a 18k miler mark4 last year in factory condition for £3750 My friends in the states said I stole it.Same car in that condition and mileage over there will fetch $30000 the americans love lexus cars and they hold their residual price far better than the UK.Everyone on this Forum will have their view on which is the best of the LS400 Generations and they will be genuine first hand views but whichever one you choose you will not be dissapointed.

Hi Spandex

I have owned a Mk1, 2 and now a Mk3 ...... all of them fabulous cars. Mk3 is the best. Driving them as a main car for 10.5 years and wouldn't want to drive any other limo.

Pas pumps leak on the Mk1 and 2, exhausts blow at the flanges eventually but fixing is well documented here.

The pas pump leaks onto the alternator and that's expensive, but again should last 150,000 miles at least

Batteries last for years and years, wiper blades best bought from Lexus / Toyota coz they last a lot longer than other brands.

The Mk3 Battery is really only replaceable by Toyota coz of it's shape and the slot ...... and it's only £70 or so ( cheaper than Halfords etc )

The big expense on the Mk1 I had was the front suspension stuff, really only worth getting Lexus parts, last for 150,000 miles min.

Stop lamp bulbs last at least 16 years and cost a couple of squid and 2 mins to change provided you read the manual.

The Mk3 seeds a little better with fuel consumption and the wisdom that I read on here is that the car runs more economically when the gearbox is in PWR mode.

Original Dunlop tyres are no longer made but Falken, said to be made by Dunlop seem a great substitute.

All in all, fabulous and non-destructable cars where the power train will outlast everything else on the car, and on the road forever.

Just superb motoring whichever you choose.

Malc

I can vouch for Falken tyres. Brilliant hard wearing and quiet. Mike

Totally agree with that now I have fitted my Mk 4 out with the Falken.

Also tramlining seems to be thing of the past.

I reckon spending the extra to get a Mk4 is also worth it, but I must say the touch screen is the only thing i would chuck, as I prefer good old buttons. If they did valve radios I might even go for one of them, but I guess on old Humber Singer might just do!!

From what I've read here, there are quite a few of us that prefer the 400 to the 430. But each to their own of course.

There was a time when I looked at the 430 as a replacement for my Mark1 I also looked at a 460 and a SC430 I drove a 430 and found the road noise was intrusive, technically it was advanced but had issues with some of those advancements.

In my opinion it was a step too far in the development of the 400 and was niether one nor the other. In terms of Lexus development they had fallen behind the competition on styling and the 430 was a stop gap until they could catch up with the introduction of the 460.

The construction methods of the 430 were inferior to the 400 example mild steel exhaust boxes and slimming the floor construction that is'nt to say that they were any worse than the competition but they were not built like the proverbial brick toilet as was the 400. The best built of all the 400s in terms of the body was the mark1,improvements followed, they ironed out all the faults on earlier models improved the suspension and handling,restyled body and with refinements on engine and interior got it just perfect and to that end I chose the Mark4 because I believe it was and still is the best car Lexus built.

Looking around you can get very decent mark 2 and 3's now well under £1k

Hi, Ive had 2 1996's, which I think were MK3's but I did not have Xenon, I went through the "wanna have that colour" kids toy phase some of us have been prone to. I had no problems with either of them & one had appx 290k on it, but, I wanted to have a dark green instead, sooo the rest is history.

Anyway, I got a 1995 mark 2 two years ago & Im sticking with it. The mark 3's are very quite & comparitivley the bigger engine seems slightly more powerfull on early accelaration & I think the suspension is a bit stiffer.

My current '95 is slighly quieter, thats probably cause its only 3969cc, the suspension is softer, & I do seem to get a bit more MPG from it.

I cant really think of a preference between the two, although I prefer this car to the others. it seems quieter & the engine seems smother but also probably because of arbitary personal reasons I cant even put words to. I was told last year by the MOT tester that this one would outlast a new Merc S Class & my long term mechanic also made some 'clear' positive comments on it which he never did before nakes me put this my fav of the 3.

Providing you get one or the other & its had a reasonable service history theres no really a lot between them, I suppose a good way to sum them both up is that the 95's are a bit more sedate although if you flick into ECT they zoom.

The only other thing to say is that I have never had any problems at all with any of them.

I've just bought a Mk4 LS400 (year 2000, 118k, £2500). I'm pretty happy with my purchase but a couple of things have since revealed themselves. Every time I start it, the driver's door mirror moves out a little, meaning over time it is pointing in completely the wrong direction. Luckily, the 'close mirrors' button fixes it. The steering column will move up and down but not in and out. The ceiling mounted interior lights don't come on when the door opens, and the boot was soaking wet inside but I've since found out it was due to opening the boot after being washed by the dealer. The water pours onto the back window and a lot misses the drainage gulleys and ends up in the boot. Other than that, it drives like a dream.

I went to see four LS400's and only one had red transmission fluid. Mine didn't. You just have to weigh up what's important to you.

Good luck with it, doesnt sound as though they are serious problems. I know what its like though if you have something on the car and its not working you just dont rest until its been sorted.

Lets have some pictures as soon as you have time.

Mike

I don't want to hijack my own thread but what Falken's are people running? I have also heard good things about them but I dunno which model and how much for 4 corners?

Here you the cheapest around. Mike

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b747s424p97846/Falken_Tyres_Car_Falken_ZE912_Ziex_Falken_ZE_912_-_225_60_R16_98W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_G_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB/RS_GB

Falkens are supposedly made by Dunlop & dunlop DZ8's were developed for the ls400 one of the falken range has the same tread pattern. I favour Michelin, I hate Pirelli p6000's useless in the wet & wear quickly,

I haven't tried the Falkens but other members swear by them.

I tend to go the part worn route (shock horror)I have a very good part worn guy here who saves the best for me. I got my winter tyres from him all Dunlop winter contact £100 fitted for 4 with 7mm tread.

The normal argument is you don't know the history of a part worn tyre.(they are checked for defects)

In response though when you buy an used car do you buy 4 brand new tyres for it (no one does).

When it comes to tyres I look for comfort, stability and wet grip (I love RWD cars!) and noise. Do the Falkens score well on these measurements? I have found Avon and Hankook decent budget choices previously, never had Falkens but might give them a go when I finally get my 400

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links