Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I'm Thinking Of Investing Some Money!

No not in the stock market but I have finally decided as I did when my poor LS was "writen off" a couple of years ago that I couldn't find anything better to replace it with so went and had it repaired.

So having decided to keep it forever I am thinking of having it fully rustproofed by the company below because a) It is fairly local and b) the price looks good compared to other outfits.

http://www.jrclassics.co.uk/

TBH the underside looks fairly good I have always jet washed it and applied underseal with a brush to try and keep it stable but the process from this company looks the job to keep things right for a few more years.

Something we discussed at the recent meet was whether it was a good idea to have my front seats refurbished professionally or leave them as they are, ingrained with dirt with cracked leather but not worn through.

Would new looking seats suit a 19 year old car or does the muck and wear look more natural?

The steering wheel definitely needs doing so that is on the refurb list in the same colour.

Comments negative and positive welcomed as usual :D

I was also considering LPG but for the mileage I do (2-3K a year) I don't think it would be worth the expense,plus it would cost probably what the car is presently worth.

• Like 1

I agree entirely with you and would love to do the following to my LS400: rustproofing, refurbish wheels, refurbish front seats, replace windscreen (getting a bit scratched up), get the engine bay area cleaned up, full valet, etc. Have just found timing belt, water pump, brakes... I equally intend and hope to keep the car for/ever/as long as possible. The question is: will I be allowed to do so? First of all, it strikes me, after many years of driving here, in the U.S. and Europe, that the standard of driving is not very good and there are just so many more cars on the road - in short I am quite likely to get hit by another car and I hardly think that the insurance company is going to be keen to fix my car when they can write it off easily and cheaply. So I will fix what needs fixing and do the proper maintenance but otherwise I think I will just look to replace the car with another LS (preferably 400 then 430 and so on...). O

I agree with Gen ...... you can spend a fortune keeping your car amazingly wonderful BUT then some bugger comes along and writes-it off ! The insurers just won't pay out what you think it's worth and you're left possibly buying your write-off and spending maybe too much on it or buying something very, very good for a bit less than the insurers pay you.

Keeping it forever may well be out of your hands !

Malc

There was a thread on here last year about what you are entitled to should your car be written off.

You have the right to insist that your insurance company providing your not at fault to reinstate the car to what it was before the foul deed took place.

Now it aint going to be easy but that is what you are entitled too Mike

That's what I told them when my MK2 was vandalised to write-off status.

Cost £5k minimum to sort out with the body damage.

They couldn't find one the same mileage and condition and paid me a premium, quite modest really, over the " best value " of a Mk2 at that time.

I could have kept them talking / negotiating forever over it all BUT in the end I wanted another LS400.

I was happy'ish,......... bought ACLexs Mk3 off here ( probably one of the very best Mk3's at the time available ) and pocketed £500 cash.

Malc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update, I have now decided to go the DIY route,can't really justify spending £400-500 on a 19 year old car worth probably three times that on the market.

So I have purchased the kit below to DIY from my local "Arkwrights" (cheaper than Fleabay). Anyone done this themselves? Any tips?

post-12144-0-71323700-1370256556_thumb.j

I hope the sprayer thingy has been improved over the 1980's version.

Obviously my memories are a tad vague from 30 years ago, but I do recall hurling it in a skip with a cheerful farewell message.

I then used a borrowed compressor and shutz gun to apply thinned (white spirits) waxoyl where a brush couldn't reach.

I did all this over a few opened out cardboard boxes, covered with plastic sheet, as there is an awful lot of spillage (you can re-use it if you're careful).

The smell lingered for ages, and the job was so enjoyable that thirty years have passed without the faintest urge to repeat the process!!

Enjoy :unsure:

• Like 1

I think your post was so amusing Mikeyv ,and I agree with you it is an awful job to do .I did it with the appliance and stuff gets everywhere that you don't want it. Here are my lessons learned.

Heat the wax up in a pan of boiling water before putting it through the pump it goes around better.

make the application run as short as possible in the case of the cills do not put in the wax through the bottom holes ,remove the step plates on top and put it in from above .with regard to the outer surfaces such as suspension members use Dinitrol it is better and comes in aerosols 4 did my mark4 (available on Ebay).The smell of Waxoyl pervades everything for months after application but does eventually fade as it cures.As Mikeyv says good luck and don't expect to get in the house with the clothes you were wearing when you do the job.

I think your post was so amusing Mikeyv ,and I agree with you it is an awful job to do .I did it with the appliance and stuff gets everywhere that you don't want it. Here are my lessons learned.

Heat the wax up in a pan of boiling water before putting it through the pump it goes around better.

make the application run as short as possible in the case of the cills do not put in the wax through the bottom holes ,remove the step plates on top and put it in from above .with regard to the outer surfaces such as suspension members use Dinitrol it is better and comes in aerosols 4 did my mark4 (available on Ebay).The smell of Waxoyl pervades everything for months after application but does eventually fade as it cures.As Mikeyv says good luck and don't expect to get in the house with the clothes you were wearing when you do the job.

Sounds like you had a similar experience to me, but you're right of course about heating up the waxoyl, I'd forgotten about that.

I did the job on a hot day, so just left it out in the sun for an hour or so.

I found the best and by far the quickest [you must have a compressor!]is to buy the gun

that fits on the Waxoyl refill can. The one like a Schutz/stonechip can,and keep topping up.

Set compressor 45/50psi, you can do the whole underside in about 15 minutes, then do the cavities with

the lance thingy which is slower 'cos you have to may remove any blanking grommets.

The 5 litre can is about £25 and you will have some left over,warm day best.

Don't breathe spray in!your lungs wont go rusty.

No not in the stock market but I have finally decided as I did when my poor LS was "writen off" a couple of years ago that I couldn't find anything better to replace it with so went and had it repaired.

So having decided to keep it forever I am thinking of having it fully rustproofed by the company below because a) It is fairly local and B) the price looks good compared to other outfits.

TBH the underside looks fairly good I have always jet washed it and applied underseal with a brush to try and keep it stable but the process from this company looks the job to keep things right for a few more years.

Something we discussed at the recent meet was whether it was a good idea to have my front seats refurbished professionally or leave them as they are, ingrained with dirt with cracked leather but not worn through.

Would new looking seats suit a 19 year old car or does the muck and wear look more natural?

The steering wheel definitely needs doing so that is on the refurb list in the same colour.

I was also considering LPG but for the mileage I do (2-3K a year) I don't think it would be worth the expense,plus it would cost probably what the car is presently worth.

Hello Steve. I cannot justify converting your vehicle over to LPG if you cannot profit for it (2,000 to 3,000 miles per year = a saving of £200-£300 per year). I can however use the eco card and say it is allot better on the environment. I wish that we could all afford to protect the environment without profit, but we are stuck in the everlasting cycle of the rich can afford Petrol and don't care :(. If you see Madona or Jolie importing more children please explain to them that there are more pressing matters.. (jokingly stated).

Wish you the best of luck on your escapade.

Best regards

Leon

Profess LPG LTD.

• Like 1

So having decided to keep it forever I am thinking of having it fully rustproofed by the company below because a) It is fairly local and B) the price looks good compared to other outfits.

Hello Steve. I cannot justify converting your vehicle over to LPG if you cannot profit for it (2,000 to 3,000 miles per year = a saving of £200-£300 per year). I can however use the eco card and say it is allot better on the environment. I wish that we could all afford to protect the environment without profit, but we are stuck in the everlasting cycle of the rich can afford Petrol and don't care :(. If you see Madona or Jolie importing more children please explain to them that there are more pressing matters.. (jokingly stated).

Wish you the best of luck on your escapade.

Best regards

Leon

Profess LPG LTD.

Think of all those air miles they are burning up going backwards and forwards to Africa. Mike

I had our RV treated. Be sure they throughly clean the underside before spraying with rust proofing The seats on my 98 LS were cracked & filthy so I bought some matching grey cream & cleaning kit from eBay. Now you wouldn't know as all of the spider cracks & signs of wear are completely gone

If you do LPG it will your useage increase & would that then justify it being LPG'd I have noticed that most LPG'd Lexus are high mileage due to it being much cheaper to run

I recall folks telling me that I shouldn't worry about costs of things (up to a point?!!) as it's the best car you can have.

My 18 months since selling, having looked at lots of alternative cars.....every time I think " it's not as good as a Lex..." or"that's twice as expensive..." etc.

The only alternative really is a SMALL car, I guess....which we have.

Even my neighbours Audi S8 Sport (V-10, etc) doesn't do it for me.

Keep it up together! I had mine undersealed cheaply -all metal WILL rust in time!

I agree with Gen ...... you can spend a fortune keeping your car amazingly wonderful BUT then some bugger comes along and writes-it off ! The insurers just won't pay out what you think it's worth and you're left possibly buying your write-off and spending maybe too much on it or buying something very, very good for a bit less than the insurers pay you.

Keeping it forever may well be out of your hands !

Malc

Someone I know had their new-to-them car sideswiped by a neighbour on the first day they bought it!

Take it easy out there!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links