Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello chaps:I found a small patch of rust near the boot catch on my 400,so I decided to take away the rubber to see what size it was!! to my surprise it was all along the lip of the boot, next step I used a small power sander and removed all the rust, then I gave the area a coating of rust remover, after it had dried a coat of Finnegan's paint to seal it. now I am going to refit the rubber, but I need to know what type of glue/sealant is the best for the job any info on the subject please.

clear or black silicone should work well - its water proof, flexible and wont breakdown - just make sure the surfaces are totally bone dry before applying

As above. I removed my rubber and refitted it with clear silicone. It also stops water from leaking into the boot which it did before. I believe its a common leak repair on the LS.

If it was leaking before its usually best to replace the seal. What happens is that the rubber does not 'spring' back and make firm contact with the boot lid when its closed. In this case a company called Seals Direct have the perfect solution, cost me around £30 delivered (I can find the exact type I used if you want a link).

I don't believe any sealant is used as standard, and using sealant will only work if the crimped fitting that slides over the panel has become loose.

Thank you chaps for the information you have given, Munday if you can give me the type you used it will be great I have been onto Seals Direct they have a large number of different types but I don't know which one ( the part number) to order so your help will be much appreciated thank you.

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=68

ETS59 near the bottom of the page. You will need (EDIT) 5 meters. The OEM Lexus rubber has no join, with the new seal I made the join by the boot latch, its the lowest point and in the middle. I cut it carefully and you can't even notice the join line unless you knew it was there.

HTH

£23.34p inc delivery, so must have gone down in price, makes a pleasant change.

I did the silicone treatment last year, which seemed to work, but recently found a small amount of water in the boot.

I locked myself in the boot with a torch while Mrs V directed the hosepipe, and sure enough, there was a slight leak.

So I've just ordered the above, to hopefully do a proper job.

Tell you what though, I was happy to get out of the boot, not a nice place to be.

I did the silicone treatment last year, which seemed to work, but recently found a small amount of water in the boot.

I locked myself in the boot with a torch while Mrs V directed the hosepipe, and sure enough, there was a slight leak.

Tell you what though, I was happy to get out of the boot, not a nice place to be.

That's an image that will stay with me for a long, long time!

You were very lucky,mine would have left me in the boot and gone on a fortnights holiday.:)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links