Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there

My name is Adam and i live in Merseyside

I am 23 years old and would love to own a LS400 but I am looking at the mk4 I think.

It's the one with the bigger headlights and the sat nav inside.

I currently drive a Toyota Sera and it still drives perfectly but I don't like getting my fillings rattled out all the time.

I drive across Europe about 5 times a year and I want to do it in something comfortable and reliable this year.

Does anyone know of a LS400 98-01 coming up for sale soon.

Also is there anything I should be looking out for with them (common problems)

Mileage is not a problem as long as its been looked after

Thanks for reading

(P.S I can afford the insurance as it is about £40 a month more than I am paying now)

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Not sure if there are any on offer in the for sale section or classifieds at the moment but there's always eBay and Autotrader but obviously have your wits about you.

The last of the LS400s known as the series IV are considered by many to be the best of the series with most of the faults from previous models ironed out and generally with the highest specification.

There is also a DHP version which boasts uprated sports suspension, larger wheels and nicer interior trim including the wood steering wheel, I can't remember if these were also on Air Suspension.

I have cut and pasted comments I made in 2011 below.

"The most important thing to have with any Lexus is a full service history,they are extremely reliable IF looked after properly,another thing to look for is how many previous owners it has had if there have been a lot of changes it could indicate owners getting rid rather than spending money getting it sorted.
Find out how long the present owner has had the car and ask why they are selling it.
Remember parts are not cheap for these cars ( but reasonable I think personally even from dealers) and when a car reaches its 3rd or 4th owner the residual value means they aren't worth spending a lot on a say a major suspension rebuild or they have been fitted with pattern parts.
Generally make sure the cam belt has been done I think it is every 60,000 miles on the older model and 90,000 on the later ones and have a good test drive listening for suspension knocks.
Check carefully for any repaired accident damage these cars are precision built and any excessive panel gaps should not be there.
There are plenty out there so you can afford to be picky if there is any doubt walk away.
If you post the links for those that you are looking into we will always give you feedback.
Good luck with your search and keep us updated "

Do you want a chauffeur ???

Seriously, these are brilliant Grand Touring cars.

Malc

I enjoy driving myself but thanks for the offer :P

There is one on Gumtree at the moment for £1195 with 98000 miles (not warranted) <that is the bit that scares me

Comes with very little paperwork

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/1999-lexus-ls400-face-lift-model-12-months-mot-reduced-1195/1029569459

What do we think ?

Within the next 2 months I am looking to pick one up so not in a great rush really

If your looking to buy a Mark 4 here’s what to look out for:

Make sure it has a full or at least a good service history which includes the cambelt change.

On driving the ride should be quite smooth comfortable with no noises or creaks from the suspension. Gearbox changes should not be noticeable

Upon inserting key the steering should tilt and retract - test and make sure the mechanism works

When starting from cold the starter should engage and start the engine immediately - if there is clicking sound then be prepared to have the starter or starter contacts replaced - the is a big job - takes about 7 hours therefore costs a lot and finding a competent mechanic who has the knowledge to properly dismantle and reassemble everything may not be as easy as you think..

Braking should be quite and smooth - if you get a groaning noise when coming to stop that’s a sign of cheap aftermarket brake pads - they will need replacing.

Check colour of gearbox oil it should be red with no smell of burning.

Check all electrics work

Check the temperature display backlight works - these fail and require a lot of dismantling to replace.

Check the bonnet struts hold the bonnet

Check there is no water or dampness in the spare wheel well - if yes then boot seal needs replacing or sealing

Check the car has the correct Toyota red coolant

Ask if the cabin filter has ever been changed - these are often over looked.

Check toolkit is present

Check for exhaust blow - the Y pipe is prone to leaking and this is a dealer only part

Make sure there are no warning lights lit in the dash

Ideally you want 2 remote and one grey key

Check the car has a matching set of tyres and wether they are branded or not - this should give an indication wether the car has been pampered or neglected

Check the headlamp levelling mechanism still works - these often fail

Before driving off make sure you have the say nav code and locking wheel nut key.

The prices vary quite a bit, dealers obviously charge more but you do get more protection than a private same.

Ranges from 1K to 2.5K.

Is the one on Gumtree our "friends" from Dudley?

Is the one on Gumtree our "friends" from Dudley?

I think it is

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/1999-lexus-ls400-face-lift-model-12-months-mot-reduced-1195/1029569459

This is the link

Do you know anything about the car at all or the person selling it ?

Thanks

We certainly do!

This guy and his side kick regularly sell LS400s on eBay,Gumtree and Autotrader.

Always described as immaculate often with FLSH but when you get there they are not at all as described and the service history will probably consist of a couple of dodgy looking garage receipts.

Chances are the mileage will not be accurate and probably 198,000 to 298,000

Based in the Dudley area they always want to deliver the car to avoid you seeing where they are actually located.

I would suggest you avoid this pair.

Funnily enough here is the same car on eBay.

Strangely although he has 202 feedback you cannot access them!

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83845-noob-go-easy/#entry834354

BRILLIANT

Thank you so much for this advice I now know to stay clear

I have around the £1500 mark to play with.

I am a mechanic by trade and now work at Eurocarparts so if I was to pick up a Mk4 needing a timing belt and it was around the £1K mark I am sure that I would snap it up as to fix it up will be no labour cost for me and cheap parts (OBVIOUSLY I always use OEM spec parts)

If anything comes up I would be more than happy to consider it

Hahaha as far as I have learnt offers are always accepted !!!

I suppose for what I am looking for and the price I am looking at paying many people are reading this and chuckling to themselves saying "get in the queue"

But colour and mileage are not a problem to me, I am not really that fussy

Thanks

Hahaha as far as I have learnt offers are always accepted !!!

I suppose for what I am looking for and the price I am looking at paying many people are reading this and chuckling to themselves saying "get in the queue"

But colour and mileage are not a problem to me, I am not really that fussy

Thanks

Then he wont sell it even if you offer him the asking price. Whats the matter with some of these people, they don't have a clue when it comes to selling. Mike

just googled his mobile number - he appears to sell alot of cars!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links